Register now to get rid of these ads!

'60 Elky - start to almost sorta finished.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GaryC, May 21, 2010.

1. GaryC

GaryC

As it sounds. Been busting ass on this one for a friend of mine since the first week in January. Helluva lot of long hours but she's almost finished. I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Should be hamb friendly. If not, mods...feel free to dump the thread.

I did a lot of other work to it aside from the basics of jut the rust repair, like shaving & smoothing the firewall, sectioning and reshaping the bumper (a lot of work...for something most won't really notice), nosed it, etc.

Anyway.

This is what it started out as.

[​IMG]

Then it was gutted down
    [​IMG]

Started shaving the firewall. A helluva lot of welding there, as I welded up and pounded the seams in the factory piece, filled the heater core's hole as it's going with an under dash unit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Both quarters were unfortunately popping. So those were cut apart, everything fixed internally and then sealed back up with repair panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rockers were gone as well, so the same thing was done there. First repairing all the rotted out inner bracing then I fabricated my own rockers and welded those in. I'm not going to show it, as frankly it's pretty damn repetitive.

Then I moved on to some other fun stuff, like sectioning the bumper.

Stock fitment. They fit for shit.
    [​IMG]

So I cut 'em.
    [​IMG]

Removed a wedge shaped piece, layed in the ends fit 'em up and welded them.
    [​IMG]

Then did my rough grinding. And tweaked the fit further by welding in a piece of 1/8" round bar I bent up and welded in to reshape the bumper in order to much better flow with the quarter.

[​IMG]

Then I busted out my metal files and set about finishing them off. Which was a bite in the rear...but they came out pretty damn nicely, if I may say so myself. This was after giving 'em a quick buzz with a locked out DA and 36. They were done up through 180 before being dropped off at the chrome shop. Still waiting on 'em...

[​IMG]

And like I said I also nosed the hood as well as shaving some misc. trim off, and shaved the antenna hole in the fender.
    [​IMG]

Then finished up the body work, threw her into high build. blocked it, did the same over. and over. and over. then rolled it outside to have a looksy.

[​IMG]

Then prep'd and painted the jambs, core support (which also got shaved and smoothed...), inner fenders, etc.

[​IMG]

Eventually the body got painted.

[​IMG]

Then stuck back together.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still needed a cut and buff in those pictures.

So there ya have it. The quickie' redo of the hellcamino, which brings it about current. Motor gets stabbed back in it shortly. Interior will be redone soon there after. Might not be everybody's tastes but I figured some folks here would get a kick out of it.

2. Great squirt! lovin it!

3. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

looks like you did a very good job. it should be a fun car to drive

4. 454navyss

454navyss

very nice work, cant wait to see it finished

5. synthsis

synthsis

you do some damn fine work sir.

6. kisam

kisam

I'll bet your arms are sore! Really nice job!

7. Gary
    That's work buddy. What color was that when you started (sorry a little color challenged) it was a nice color.

Its a good looking color now too BTW Red right?

Your work looks top notch from where I sit.

Last edited: May 21, 2010
  8. GaryC

GaryC

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Thanks much, appreciate that. And the car was originally a teal green, actually a Ford color. Calypso Green they called it, if I'm not mistaken (mustangs, probes, etc. ran that color)

You were spot on with the current color, it's red. It's a real heavy pearl red, almost a cheater candy of sorts. 2 full bottles of liquid pearl. A heck of a lot of red pearl with a smidge of white & gold in there coupled with more transparent toners to really let the pearl shine through. It positively pops in the sun light. Depending on the light it goes from a "darker" brandywine-ish red to a brighter candy apple red in the sunlight and kind of dances around in that spectrum, if that makes sense.

[​IMG]

9. Hellfish

Hellfish

Gary rules. I hope I can see this in person soon

10. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Absolutely killer.

11. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

great work,,,,love your idea and execution of the work on the bumper,,

12. Yea I underthand the spectrum, I had a teacher when I was little that taught me the spectrum so I would be able to understand colors.

I was thinking it was either green or blue to start with.

Thanks

13. Cool El Camino! Makes me really miss my old 59.

14. unibody

unibody

Nice work, that thing looks sweet!

15. SteppinOut

SteppinOut

Very nice work. Love it when people take the time to take the pics and post'em up. Your craftsmanship looks great.

16. GaryC

GaryC

thanks much guys, hugely appreciate the compliments.

Joe - it'll be out and about at a bunch of shows once it's all back together. The owner drives the wheels off of it and even took it to a few shows down south when it was green last summer. So it'll be out there, for sure.