Register now to get rid of these ads!

blocking heat risers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ferbz51, May 20, 2010.

1. Ferbz51

Ferbz51
    from Austin, Tx

Say it's been a long time since I've posted anything and thought I'd post this question: Anybody out there block their heat riser ports with pennies in the top of their flathead blocks? I heard it's an old school trick. See I'm in the process of swapping out my single carb stock manifold on my 8BA with an Offy w/dual 94's and was wondering if blocking the ports make enough of a performance difference. Anybody block the ports any other way?

thanks

2. Mizlplix

Mizlplix
    from S/W USA

If you live in a temprate climate and dont need carb heat, go for it. If it does help, my "seat of the pants" didnt feel it.

I leave it working for any type of street car. MIZ

3. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

It's just supposed to *sharpen* your exhaust tone........helps you get that *flathead crackle* when you're being slowed by compression......

I haven't really seen all that much difference........

CB

4. BTB-Derby

BTB-Derby

It really made a nice sound, I can't say it unproved performance :cool:

My 2 cents worth.

5. Ferbz51

Ferbz51
    from Austin, Tx

Hey thanks for the replies. I think I'm leaning towards leaving the heat riser ports uncorked. If it's mostly a sound difference only, I like the sound I get already with headers and straight pipes.....nothing like the sound of a flathead right? Cheers fellas