Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to ship an engine cross country? And keep the house?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junk, May 17, 2010.

1. junk

junk

Hey, what is a decent company or way to ship an engine and transmission across country? After the quote I got for over $3700 dollars I figured I was looking in the wrong spot. I'm looking to ship it from Iowa to North Carolina.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

2. havi

havi

Maybe Conway truck freight?

3. If you can crate it and drop it off at a depot you'll save a bunch. What about one of the many parts/car haulers I see advertising in the HAMB classifieds?

4. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

I shipped a 390 Caddy and turbo 400 to the west coast. The fellow who bought it did the arrangements but as i understand there are websites that you can put in what you have to haul, the weight, size, etc. and they will bid these items cheaper to keep a truck from running empty.

I think he paid less than $400.

Sorry I don't know the site but maybe someone can chime in with a suggestion. I know they are out there.

Like the thread above says, check with BenD or one of the other haulers in the HAMB-O-Dex. I'll bet they could help you out.

5. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Phone a few transport companies that do LTL(less than load)freight. I drove transport for years, ltl would be the cheapest, not necessarily then fastest way. They send your item when they have enough to fill the truck, so you are not paying to send them out of their way.

6. Greg'Hel

Greg'Hel
    from Iowa

I used uship a couple times and it worked out great for me.

7. Scotch

Scotch

Check out Forward Air. They were the cheapest I could find.

8. kooldaddy-o

kooldaddy-o

freightquote.com

Sent a differential from San Diego to Florida dock to dock $165.00

9. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

10. brad chevy

brad chevy

Is that a missprint or did you say $3700,get ahold of one of the Hamb transporters,ain"t like its going from Alaska to Florida.

11. brandon

brandon

x2....

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

$3700 !!??. With that kind of money, you could buy a one way ticket, a $3000 truck in Iowa and haul it yourself. Gotta be way cheaper transport, especialy if you're patient.

13. BISHOP

BISHOP

YELLOW FREIGHT............. I shipped some big artwork to Portland OR. from East TX. The truck driver said as long as it fits into their dementions, then weight doesn't mater, cost me $600 with alot of insurance, It got there in three days. I would give them a shot. Everyone else I talked to wouldn't touch it for that.

14. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

maybe it was supposed to be $370

i got an engine shipped from Cali to Michigan for about that.

15. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. junk

junk

Thanks, for all the help guys. No it was 3,700 dollars. That was not a typo. Yeah for that money I'd of bought the engine a 1st class ticket and sent it by air.

Thanks, Jeremy

17. I've sent quite a few Y-Blocks across the country (500 lbs. +) for under $400 with R&L Carriers they always do a good job.

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I'll come do it in my pickup for that. :D

19. junk

junk

Good point 29nash. I would also ship engines all day long for 3700 a pop. Who needs an engine shipped?:D

20. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

I'll do it for $3,650 and buy lunch.

21. chubbie

chubbie

I used R&L carriers once, worked out great.

22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have used them a few times too. Nothing much to report, and that is just what you want in a shipper. Picked up and dropped off, on-time. No trouble.

23. duste01

duste01

I think its even cheaper to ship terminal to terminal. You just have to take it to them and then the people you ship it to have to go to the terminal to pick it up. They have forklifts on site too.

24. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I worked in a sign shop I used a friend of mine to deliver signs from Iowa to Florida. He is reasonably priced and very reliable. I will contact him today and see if he would be interested. Is the engine in Paullina?
    Steve

25. I have shipped rear axles complete on a pallet from OK to NY for $150 using Forward Air and a fiberglass 1 piece front end for less then that to Houston thru them also.

26. junk

junk

Yip the engine is in Paullina, Iowa.

I did end up getting a quote for 250 out of engine shippers.com. That was from door to door. So I was very pleased where that ended up. I'm still looking though. So keep the ideas coming.

27. OGS41

OGS41

FREIGHTCENTER.COM ,give them dimensions and weight and they'll give you a list of carriers with prices and approx delivery. I sent a seat to north Texas from Ct in 3 days picked up at my place of work. a box I sent the same day took an additional week to get there Parcel Post.

28. B-Ray

B-Ray

29. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Ask Poverty Flats