Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 48-54 Chevy/GMC trucks! lets see em ALL!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jun 19, 2006.

1. here's why I haven't touched my '49 tudor custom......'49 ,3100
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. beanis

beanis

Grumman/Olson body on 1948 Chevy "Dubl-Duti" chassis[​IMG]

3. 53chevy

53chevy

Oddly enough, when I got it back in '94 in Oceanside, Ca. it had a 69 GM truck front cross member (they bolt to the frame) with the suspension. I'm using the the steering box too and needed some tweaking to fit better as well. I kept it and needed to narrow the A-arms, a huge undertaking. But the draw back was when I cut the coils, I could not cut any more and had to use the drop spindle for a lil more drop. But this screwed with the A-arms as well. So narrowing kinda killed two birds with one stone. Fixed the geometry (angle) and narrow for fit. But, I want the front tires in at least another 1/2" in more (a lil too wide for my liking, tucked in just a bit more). With the drop spindles had to do the disc-brake route and most back space is 3". Everything works well and no problems what so ever. So the 16" rims should clear the calipers and get what I want. It's been a thorn on my ass and won't feel good till then. The back is de-arched springs with an 1" block. Thanks for the compliments fellas. A lot of Gems on this thread too!!

Ken

4. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

perfect pickup.

5. here's a pic of my 53. Still haven't gotten the scallops back on since I hit the deer. But did do some smoothin and shavin. The red metalflake scallops are still to come, hopefully yet this summer

Attached Files:

6. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

neat looking rig as well!

7. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

New paint since my first posting to this thread back in Dec of 08...

Attached Files:

8. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Hey, Beanis. Hows the paintwagon running? You REALLY need to post some detail pic.s for everyone to see.

9. jmon77

jmon77
    from Tennessee

10. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

latest..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And aluminum side rails made by a friend and I...Ground in a flyin eyeball for good measure.....keeps an eye on things to the sides.
    [​IMG]

11. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

My wife's grandfather built these for years. I love the backward lettering on the nose.

-Dave

12. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

All of the weathering is painted. The old tools and details are amazing. If you see it in person, take some time to look it over in detail.

13. beanis

beanis

Hello again OC...don't tell everybody my secret...I've been tracking (unscientifically of course) and it's fooling about 60% or better! I'm amazed at how many people to whom I have to say, yes they're real torq-thrusts...and yes they ARE aluminum, you tell me how they got so rusty.:rolleyes: Anyway, thanks for the kind words...they're particularly gratifying coming from a guy with your talent. She's running fine..and I've added even more details since we spoke in Myrtle Beach...and I am having a blast with her. As for pics, I've posted some in my album...still figuring out how to do so in a thread post.

14. beanis

beanis

Wow, no kidding..I guess Grumman got in the truck body business in the late 40s 'cause they had tooled up so much to make airplanes for the war effort. The old truck is pretty amazing...the ENTIRE body is aluminum...even the floor. Buck rivets all over...just like an airplane. The only steel parts are the step wells and a section above the front wheels and the chassis of course, (the part Chevy supplied). I think some of the panels were hand made...I started polishing it a few years back and you could easily see the tracks from the english wheel in the section above the windshield.
    As for the backwards lettering... I've seen that done quite a few times over the years...always thought it was neat too...but ya know in my 35 years in the sign/lettering business I don't remember ever having a customer want it done. I finally had an opportunity....I think it adds to the charm. thanks!

Doug

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  15. OC you got that thing sitting nice and low and lookin good with the new hubcaps!! Talked with ya at the Rockabilly BBQ last year about my 51 thats been sittin for the past 2 years, finally got it up and runnin.... here's a pic.....

[​IMG]

Sadly the Rockabilly BBQ is no more but in its place is the Road Rash 1st annual event, I am going to be there!! Still got a pic of your truck shootin flames at Pucketts!! See ya around......

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  16. Wicked50

Wicked50

Anyone have Sombrero Hub caps with the bullets on your truck?

17. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Here is a 50 GMC Suburban.

Attached Files:

18. john burrescia

john burrescia
    from Georgia

There is no way you fit all that motor under that hood Strom...no way!
    -Burrescia

19. vik morgan

vik morgan
    from Houston

I'd really like to see some more shots of interiors.

20. redsean

redsean

new paint and a few up grades
    SICK Industries

Attached Files:

21. chevpickup

chevpickup
    from Australia

I just got some, hopefully have pics to show soon as I havent put em on yet!

22. chevyv8t

chevyv8t

51 from wisbech england

Attached Files:

23. customizer2024

customizer2024
    from niles, mi.

Here's my 50, in my avatar. You can look at my album if you want. Anybody interested finishing this project please notify me.
    I'm going to have to retire. something got to go.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  24. Customikes

Customikes
    from SoCal

Hammered!:cool:

25. dale560

dale560

Her are some pics of my 1952 GMC I built in 2004 brfore it was cool to have patina, back then all I heard was you should primer it. I built it with old school ideas, I used what I had to make my old truck faster, safer, and stop better. It started as a free truck in a field that was mounted on a Monte Carlo Chassis, I got the Monte for $200.00, The entire build including Chromies and WW was under 2500.00, No air ride just low and fun. In 2007 I drove the truck from WA state on the Hot Rod Power tour, No problems and no trailer, See map pic.

Attached Files:

26. dale560

dale560

Here are some more pics of AD truncks that I have or do own, I now have 4.

Attached Files:

27. Old Roadster

Old Roadster

sweet !

28. Man that is a sweet GMC, and a real no sh*t driver too, Power tour would be a blast!!

Here is a updated pic of my 51 after I installed the 4" drop front axle and 3" lowering block, much improved stance!

[​IMG]

29. daddio211

daddio211

DAMN that's low! I love it! You certainly did more than a 4" axle to get the front that low, DO TELL!

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This one followed me home the other day. The plan is to shorten the frame and make a half or three quarter ton flatbed out of it with later pickup independent suspension.
    [​IMG]
    It should end up being a pickup with a big truck attitude.