Register now to get rid of these ads!

The dreaded what is it worth thread.. COMPLETE 426 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, May 19, 2010.

1. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Here is the story, my brother's father-in-outlaw mentioned a guy he works with has a 426 Hemi that was pulled back in the day when he owned a scrap yard with intentions of putting it in a car..Well fast forward 40 plus years, the fellow has had a stroke, he is recovering but needs cash for Dr. bills. I have verified it is a Hemi from a cell phone pic, it is complete, minus fan,alt,from what I could tell from the lousy pic. So lets assume (yhea yhea ass of u and me) it is a 426 and needs a complete re-build, in such condition what would a boat anchor of this magnatude be worth.. And lets also assume I know nothing about telling a 426 from any other, where do I look and what do I look for..I am making arrangements to look at it this weekend to get a good idea if the guy is for real and wants to sell it or if this is another "I got Elvis's Stainless Corvette in a shed out back, but I am saving it for my great great grand son" goose chases.. But sometimes the sun shine on a dogs ass! Thanks in advance and sorry for the dreaded question Ryan

2. Jim Beam

Jim Beam
    from St. George

i have seen a nicely rebuilt one for 12k! but i didnt have the cash.... cant help you on the value but its worth plenty to the right guy.

3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Yhea I know they are costly to own and even more to re-build... I hope to know more by this weekend.....

4. If the dist. is located at the front of the engine, it's a 426 (big block based). All others had the dist. at the rear of the block (early "small" block based).

5. Where did the car it came out of, go to? It's worth an arm and a leg to the guy who wants the motor with the numbers that match his car.

If he's hurting and needs cash, get some good pictures of it, take the oil pan off so you can show the inside of it too, and put the sucker on eBay. You'll find out in a hurry what it's worth -

6. johnnie

johnnie
    from indiana

Went through this with a guy in Indiana. It was a "I got Elvis's Stainless Corvette in a shed out back, but I am saving it for my great great grand son" goose chase! He definitely had it, but liked every one asking about it for awhile. Made him a serious offer of 12,000. No Go! Got tired of all that and hid it in another building. Was a '68 I think. Engine had all the brackets wires and hard to find stuff still on it. Had a blue '68 Hemi Road Runner (I think the engine was from this car) in the yard. Stripped and got crushed!

7. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

The car was a roll-over he said he thought an RT but you have to understand the guy is in his late 60's suffering from a stroke, and I have not had any one on one with him yet, so this is all hear say from my bro's Father in law...

8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

go to eBay right now to see '65 426 Hemi-only there for an hour or so more to go . ($25K)

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The car was probably crushed or parted 40 years ago when they weren't worth much. Unlike today when a Mopar Hemi freak would start with enough of a real Hemi car to have the correct serial number and tags on it and build a car back then without an engine they weren't worth a lot more than scrap. There may still be an orange 69 Hemi Roadrunner floating around central Texas with a wedge in it and the wrong rear end and trans under it. The drive train when in a Duster in the mid 70's to make a full tilt race car.

10. Fuck matching numbers and the mopar freaks....that bitch is meant to have an enderle on top and runnin on pop...keep us updated Ryan...;)

TH

11. Squablow

Squablow

My dad shopped around for Hemi engines for his '69 Road Runner. He looked at a couple 1969 correct year engines, complete but needing rebuilt, in the $13K range. At that price, you didn't get little stuff like brackets, carb, shit like that, but the engine was disassembled and magnafluxed/sonic checked for damage and checked out good.

Date codes make a big difference, as do the little brackets and bullshit parts like I mentioned above. A 70 or 71 dated engine with some E-body specific bracketry might go for $20K+ in un-rebuilt condition, where as a '66 coded one that's pretty much bare might bring half that, or less if it is sold without being checked out first.

12. troylee

troylee

I would give My left nut. Well I have two nuts and no Hemi's

13. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Trust me if I land it, it will stay in my stable with a fat chance of it ever leaving... I will keep everyone posted either way. We are supposed to talk in the morning about setting up a time to go look at it...I'm with you Tyler, might have to change direction of the 31 if I land this boat anchor...lol

14. It's worthless , but I would be glad to haul it off for ya! :D

15. James427

James427
    BANNED

It would depend on how complete it was, what year it is and if it was internaly damaged. Certain year of build engines are worth a lot more than others in the mopar World. The engine will have a certain bottom dollar value if were say a 1966 engine from guys that want to restore a 66 car or just to have a hemi for some other project. But the high dollar mopars from the 69-71 year ranges bring a premium because the cars from that era are worth a lot more too. Correct matched date coded heads, intake, carbs, brackets, etc also increas value. So I'd say a bare 66 or 67 hemi without all the good stuff with questionable internals may bring $8K but a complete date coded carbs to pan with matching everything from 1970 may bring $20K

I recently found a 1967 Camaro Z28 302 small block in my T-bucket and it sold for big bucks to the owner of the original car it came from, all from decoding it.

When and if you get the engine I have three words of advice for you. Decode, decode, decode.

16. The later Hemi engines had hydraulic lifters, too, which makes them more desirable over the '66 - '69 engines. If it's a '64 or '65 engine (the "Race Hemi"), it's actually worth the most of the bunch.

The dude had a stroke. If it's what it is claimed, offer a FAIR price and see what happens. Don't low-ball the guy, be fair and gracious about it, and you might just come out of the deal with a cool-as-hell Hemi.

17. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about posting the cell phone pic?

Building 392's is EXPENSIVE.... I imagine this even more so.

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a guy in my complex here sold a 426 with no numbers stamped on it for somethig like 5 grand, within a week or 2 it went on ebay for $12,000.00. I don't know the condition or completeness... this was like 5 years ago.

19. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I have no intention of screwing the guy in a time of need. Thats why I am asking what its worth.. And if its out of my price range, Tyler and the Hilton family get first dib's, thats how we roll in SinSinNasty.....