Register now to get rid of these ads!

Painting question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bikebum1975, May 19, 2010.

1. bikebum1975

bikebum1975

Hey Guys and Gals
    Need some advice it's sort of hot rod related but I am restoring an old bicycle and want to do a 50s style paint job on it I am toying with a color scheme of chocolate brown and a cream color on it I also want to scallop the paint to. But my question is Idon't have the money to buy spray equipment nor really the place for it so I will be doing rattle can paint on it but I do want to use lacquer. Umm basically do you guys know of any place that can custom make it up in say a 24 oz can? Or hell even a 16 oz can would be fine. Any other ideas would be great to if I can use something other than spray cans what would y'all recommend? Here is a pic of the bike. Yes when it's done if y'all wanna see it I will share pics of it for ya.
    Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. Captain Freedom

Captain Freedom
    from Upstate SC

Back in the day when my cusin was on the run from the law he'd change the color of his pickup every week or so by spraying it with one of those pump-up-to-pressurize chemical sprayers you see at the hardware stores used to disperse insecticides with.

3. sik_kreations

sik_kreations

4. paintslinger1939

paintslinger1939
    from Concord CA

the 2k clear in a spray can is a great way to get clear on. made by spraymax. if you cant get a custom aerosol made, just get little bit of the basecoat colors, and reducer, and get a preval sprayer. its basically a jar, that you put the ready-to-spray paint into, and attach a 'powerhead' (the propelant canister with a tube going into the jar of paint) and there you go. instant spray can. easy and pretty cheap. then use your 2k clear over the whole deal when youre done.

5. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

how does that rattle can 2k clear compare to decent bodyshop stuff ? ive been considering using some for a while , but sort of assumed it might not be all that

6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I used to see, in Hemmings magazine, a company called Tower Paint, that used to custom mix paints and put them in spray bombs. I'd recommend this, instead of lacquer, use basecoat paint, with that 2K clear in a can.
    OR....buy regular paints (basecoat and urethane clear, with hardener, and reducers) and use a Preval sprayer...it's a glass jar, spray head, and a pre-charged canister to provide the compressed air to spary it. Like a do-it-yourself spray can.

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I can't beleave I'm about to suggest anyone use rattle cans for anything, but here goes......................

You may wanna look at Rustolum's line up in their industrial offering for 16 once rattle cans. I don't think the paint in these is synthetic enamel, as it is in their pt. qt. & gallon enamels, but acrylic enamel instead. I've seen this stuff used on equipment, where the shop forman won't spring for a trip to the paint shop, and it seem to hold its' shine well. They offer a brown and a cream colour.

The material costs today of real automotive paint would easily exceed the value of the bicycle.

" Angry is the new happy "

8. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

home depot has a large selection of rustoleum enamel gloss spray paints, i've used 'em for down spouts, gutters, light posts, kids school projects, etc. seems to have good gloss retention for the number of years they've been outside in the elements.