Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody into 8 tracks?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pitts642, Dec 7, 2008.

1. monsterflake

monsterflake

do you have pics of your collection?

2. I am old enough to actualy remember 4 track tape players! I had one under the glove box on my 1965 Corvette in 1966! That was after I removed the 45 rpm record player. The 45 record player actualy worked OK as long as it was a smooth road. Problem was the records would warp in the car on a hot day and wouldn't fit in the slot then!:)

3. hemi

hemi

I'd like to put one on my Satellite but I already have a Cobra CB under the dash... I've seen them in a stand alone, floor mount thingy with a pod-like console housing, but only in green. My interior is blue....

I just passed on a reverb unit for $30 at a recent Goodguys show.... they are still out there..

I will say that the price of an old Pioneer Supertuner will easily clear $100 on eBay.

4. 1940 Willys Coupe

1940 Willys Coupe
    from Texas

5. monsterflake

monsterflake

i also have a couple of in-dash am/fm 8-track 23 channel cb radios...it's like a home entertainment center for your car!

6. LTM75110

LTM75110

My 70 Nova SS, Factory 396 ,4-speed,bench seat.Has factory AM/8 track.My 72 Buick GS 455 has am/fm with 8-track. What`s a CD?

7. DogTownKustoms

DogTownKustoms

A little bit O/T but does anyone have a good resource for buying a record player (vintage or repro)? Thanks.

8. Me, too and how they were a step up from the 45 RPM record players. At one stage, Muntz' Blue Light unit was the hot set up, a model that graduated to 8-track when they became more popular.

I gave away my last 8-track cartridges about 20 years ago to a friend with a Plymouth GTX that had a factory unit installed.

Believe it or not, I still have a couple of the 4-track cartridges that my brother and I recorded at a place called Olsen Electronics in L.A. back in the '60s. I use them in business skills workshops to demonstrate that what is considered copyright infringement (i.e. illegal downloads of music) today is nothing new. I usually have to explain what the cartridges themselves are... :eek:

9. Miss3Four

Miss3Four

I'm putting an 8 track in my 34 this weekend!

10. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Just put a brand new AM/FM in dash 8 Track in my '72 Formula Firebird!

11. pecker head

pecker head

Foghat RULES !

12. chubbie

chubbie

My cutlass has an 8 track in dash, I found it about 7 years ago. NOS and paid $50 for it.
    garage sales was a good place to find tapes, but haven't found any the last 2 years. I used the cassette thing that went in the 8 track, now that doesn't work any more.. new thought is to play my i-pod through it!!

13. YESSSS !!!!!!!!!!
    I have a collection of 8 tracks I started back in 1966.
    I lost more than half my collection in an attic fire back in the early 80's.
    Too bad for me.
    I have one 8 track player in the front sitting room (never listen to that one anymore, don't ask me why).
    I have a factory installed one in my '71 Chevelle (works pissah), and another combo record player and 8 track out in my garage behind the house.
    I'm addicted to that type of shit, a real music junky!

14. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Bought my car 25 years ago, had an 8 track unit in it. IT STILL DOES. I never was much for change. Bought my first computer 5 months ago. I have 3 cassette tape converters for my 8 track. I own about 5 cd`s, and about 200 plus 8 tracks. My favorite tape is Lynard Skynards Curtis Low, ( Ya, the Whino that played the blues) Always wanted to name my car that. I always liked the truckin songs, C W McCall and Many others. Never listen to the radio in my car, just the 8 Trackplayer. It`s amazing the comments I get about the 8 track player. It fits the era of the car. One of these days I`m gonna put Old Hippy on my license plates. I love that song. Haven`t found it on 8 track yet. Oh Ya, Remember KRACO

15. Holy shit, Maiden on 8-Track? I had to que up some "Number of the Beast" to type this to.

My mom had an 8-Track in the '76 Eldorado, I remember buying 8-Tracks of albums I liked that my mom had a passing intrest in for Mother's Day gifts. "Thanks son!" She never complained.

16. The Hitch Hiker

The Hitch Hiker

I have an 8 track in my van. Yet to find a tape to test it tho. I'm keeping it for the retro looks :)

17. bikebum1975

bikebum1975

A freind of mine has a couple home players vaguely remember as a kid I think my Aunt had them but she had more records now that's a smooth sound. But my Buddy that has them his are home units one is in a big ol Zenith console has a record player tuner and louvered doors on the speakers actually a really cool lookin unit the other one is more a table top unit same thing record player and tuner built in nother friend still has a couple decks from his cars I think one from an 81 Caddy the other from a Camero. Me though gotta be honest I'll take an IPOD I mean hell 25,000 songs on it? plus it's portable works for me get the 8-track maybe for looks on the car but get an FM modulator for the IPOD. And if your deck is eating tapes then the heads need to be big time cleaned and not a hard thing to do either same thing if ya have it happen to a VCR or cassette deck. Main reason I like CDs

18. I have an 8 track am fm cb i think it is a craig
    it mounts whare the radio goes
    and a in house Player if any one is interested
    pm me

19. aircoup

aircoup

hey larry pearsal wanna sell one of those? pm me if so

20. hkestes

hkestes

Did not go through the entire thread but this place was on the local news in Dallas a while back. They produce new 8-Tracks as well as repair them.

http://www.ktsprod.com/

21. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

LOL ...I had to laugh out loud at this one ,it was a trick only someone who lived it did it ........and it did work.

22. yogel

yogel

I remember buying a foreigner 8 track tape back in 79 and getting real pissed when it changed tracks right in the middle of Cold As Ice. I1d like to have one of those 45 r.p.m. under dash players though.I got maybe 300 45`s

23. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

Apparently those things remained popular in Mexico into the late 90's.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I fired up the 8 track thats in my 65 country squire a couple weeks ago but the tapes have deteriorated and dont play too well anymore and would like to find better or new tapes,some I bought back in 80 when I went to Florida for the first time and was bummed they are now shot. Next time I get it out of storage I will have to go through my small collection of tapes and see what ones are still good and pitch the rest,most of the collection were purchased since installing the 8 track and were purchased at local antique shops for next to nothing so I wont be out much.

25. visor

visor
    Member Emeritus
    from Missouri

Hey Tom nice to see someone remembers the 4-track from Muntz. put the 8 track to shame.
    Check out the prices of 4 track players and tapes. Who remembers places in so cal
    called U-tape-a- tape. You would bring in your 45's, set down in front of a 4-track
    recorder and make your own tapes to play in you ride.
    Craig was the next big company to jump in on the 4 track. I think maybe Lear (of Lear-jet)
    may have bought out old "Man Man Muntz".

26. russ1403

russ1403

hell yes in into 8 tracks:),i just picked this deck up at the swapmeet today for $1. 50 chevy + 013.jpg

50 chevy + 015.jpg

50 chevy + 016.jpg

27. Philbilly

Philbilly

8 tracks are cool. My dad still has a stereo in his den that has an 8 track player and a record player in it. Both still work and he has several 8 track tapes.

28. TomCat 1

TomCat 1

8 tracks are deffinately Kool and bring back memories!!!!!! I've got one in my F1 and am going to put one with FM in my '57 Chev if I can find it in all my junk. They are great for the garage, Mine just ate a tape but I'll pull it out of the case and fix it. I remember Craig's being the hot ticket--small but sounded good. I always said those cassetes will never catch on over 8 track. I had a quad 8 track that was awesome---- I remember putting my dart swinger in the ditch at 1:00 in the morning trying to reach into my tape case that was in the back seat. I also remember breaking up with my girlfriend and on the way home throwing her tape out the car window, they really fly!!!!!!!!!!!

29. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Bought wife #1 (RIP) a brand new 73 Vista Cruiser. It had an 8-track deck. We loaded up on everything we liked - what a treat. Then, it went TU on us about a year later and the Olds dealer (her dad owned the place) service manager said I had to take it to a radio repair shop. I got a quote from them and decided to just go get a different car.

dj

30. terry48435

terry48435

I got an quadrasonic (surround sound) 8 track out of a 78 Lincoln town car if anyone wants it. Just pay the shipping or pick it up.