Register now to get rid of these ads!

Funny thing happened today.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64 Linc, May 14, 2010.

1. 64 Linc

64 Linc
    from Vegas

I just got a 64 Lincoln Conti. My fav car of all time. Being that the car is wicked old and I work on cars for a living. I started changing things to freshen up the motor and whatnot. I started with all the vacuum lines. Mind you, the car ran before not perfect but not bad either, no leaks etc. Upon changing all the engine compartments vacuum lines I developed large leaks at the carburetor. It must've had so many vacuum leaks that upon fixing them it brought to the surface another problem of all the seals and whatnot being just as old and brittle as the vacuum lines i'd replaced. Kind of hilarious i thought! Not sure whether to laugh or be pissed. I think i'll laugh!

2. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. So the saying goes.

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  3. Come to think of it, now you will have to do a frame off, complete restoration on the old girl. Look what you started.

4. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

You followed my favorite policy: If it's working, take it apart and find out why. Ain't hot rodding great?

5. Yeah, you can't fix it if it ain't broke

6. Moondog13

Moondog13

Hahahah! That's awesome! :D

7. 64 Linc

64 Linc
    from Vegas

This is my 1st american car so I see it as a fun project. I definitely have a bad case of tinker-itis. I just can't keep my damn hands off of things! But I also cant roll around in such a car with a bunch of shit not working. I don't work that way. If things like this weren't a pain they wouldn't be so fun to finish. I just think its hilarious that I broke it by fixing it.

Last edited: May 15, 2010
  8. nofin

nofin
    from australia

A friend of mine put her old bug into the shop for a new brake master cylinder. The shop guy rang her in the afternoon to say he'd finished the changeover, but that she now needed new wheel cylinders as they'd all blown out on the testdrive.

9. 454navyss

454navyss

i'd do away with every possible vacuum line. my 63 has 2 vacuum lines, one for the vacuum advance on the distributor and one for the pcv valve.

goodl luck getting her fixed