Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Body work question 1932 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gear27, May 13, 2010.

1. gear27

gear27

I am about to buy a steel 32 3 window that is in primer and had all the body work done about 8 years ago my only concern is that on the surface of the body the is lots of faint cracks(small hairline) but that easily sand out with 400 grit.The body is smooth and looks great other than these faint cracks that you have to get up close to see.Does this body just need a re sand and new coat of primer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. choptvan

choptvan

Are the cracks in the paint? Or in the filler work underneath?

3. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I had the same issue a while back on my 56 F-100. Sanded them out and re primed, painted everything. It all looked great for about 1 week, then after the paint etc had sat in the sun etc, all those cracks became visible again, not really as cracks, but has lines in my paint. I buffed them out, and about a week or 2 later they cam back. Still there last I saw it, over 2 yrs ago.

4. gear27

gear27

Cracks are on the surface car is only in primer.

5. sounds like it needs to be done over. got any pic's?

6. 48cad

48cad

Real steel 32 3 window? I wouldn't even think about topcoating it after been sitting for 8 years and showing issues (cracks). I would have to strip it and see whats underneath. IMHO ridiculous to move forward without taking it down.

7. Ricky Bobby

Ricky Bobby

Remove all the old paint and start over, once the paint starts to shrink it never stops. If you paint over it, it will look good for a little while and then the cracks will reappear, because of the old stuff is still shrinking.:) A little while in the sun and it will look like the desert floor. Even if you want a patina paint job its best to start from scratch. Plus a three window aint that big!

8. THE SURGEON

THE SURGEON

i agree entirely, id chem strip the car, remove all filler and buzz the metal with 80g, epoxy prime and do my filler work over the epoxy ect.. ect... would def. not reprime or paint over that, waste of time and money, and like ricky bobby said its not that big

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd take it to bare steel to see what is really there, that way the paint job is all yours.

10. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I agree start over .I dont think any type of sealer will work ...

11. Deuce-Merchant

Deuce-Merchant
    from BC Canada

So, did you get the car, what did you do?
    Can we see some pics?

Kelly