Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

2. apound

apound

Great pics! Thanks everyone!

3. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

This guy has a damn nice comet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. havi

havi

Forgive my French, but my pants are tight. That light blue Comet is sweet!

5. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

that is a BAD-ASS comet!!!

6. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

7. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;where did you get those pictures? It looks like last years So.Cal.Galaxys,All Ford Show. Thank You all for the kind words about my Comet! ROY.

8. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

9. WCD

WCD

My wife's cousin has a 289 65 Comet thats been sitting in his driveway for 30 years. I need to forward these pics to him in order to incite him into either fixing it or sell it. Of course, he also has pristine 64 Triumph twin that was set up for Class C TT at Ascot sitting in a shed since 1970.

10. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

They came out of the Flicker yahoo image site,The caption on it said farm show.I thought they were from this years Knotts show.I always like finding shots of my car or someone i know Taken by someone else that hasnt been seen.
    Its not looking good for me racing at all this year,Lucky if I finish the 65.Bearings going out in the tranny on the big rig.5k to fix.If it wasnt for Bad Luck I wouldnt have any luck at all.Still not quite recovered from all the trouble last year.
    Going to have to sell that 63 S-55 convert i have.

Sounds like the Bowling green HRR is going to be a good one.Jody was saying that some of the Ford Drag Council members are going to be there.Dick brannan putting some of it together.Would love to go to that one.
    Just been working on wiring on the 65,going slow.Got snow again here in Denver,Enough already.Sounds like the 422 al stars series is having the same luck,both of there first events have been rained out.

Some motivation.

[​IMG]

11. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

This one sold at Barretts for 57K in 03.Looking at the double crossed flags on the front fender and front Mickey wheels I would guess that it was the McCoy comet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

<TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Auction: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">SCOTTSDALE 2003 </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Sale Price: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">*$57,200.00 </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Year: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">1964 </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Make: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">MERCURY </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Model: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">COMET </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Style: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">A/FX HARDTOP </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Exterior Color: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">WHITE </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Interior Color: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">RED </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Cylinders: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">0 </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Engine Size: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">0 </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Transmission: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"></TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Summary: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" colSpan=2>427/425hp with 4-speed transmission. One of only 21 Factory A/FX cars produced. </TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Details: </TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" colSpan=2>THIS CAR IS ONE OF 21 CARS. FACTORY A/FX CARS. TOTAL RESTORATION, ALL CORRECT PARTS

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  12. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;sorry to hear about your rig,man you can't buy a break!!!!I believe that is from the Galaxy show because you enter the park on a sidewalk.I thought it may have been the Mercury show until I noticed the 57 Ford behind me.I also noticed the "Farmer" 65 has a dummy engine in it! I wonder if it had a running engine for the auction!The whole country seems to be having strange weather! Thanks again for posting the photos of my Comet,and another nice shot of your 64! ROY.

13. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

14. TunnelBolt

TunnelBolt

Roy, Great pics of the Comet! Hows your racing going? As Ken said the All-Stars rained out 2 races so far, but we drove to Beaver Springs Dragway after the rain out at Numidia, no rain there but 40-50 mph winds. Only made one easy run as the cross winds were bad.

15. havi

havi

There's a local ad for a '65 Comet Caliente for $1800. :eek: Anyone want to borrow me the money? :rolleyes::eek:

16. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

Six gun you going up to milan at the end of the month?

george[/QUOTE]

illflameit1:

NO I will not make it out that soon (but I do plan on going to Milan for a U.M.T.R. race later this year) are you going to the Rock&Race at dragway 42???

17. SIX GUN

SIX GUN

65COMET:

Yes I have Lexan side & back windows I use a plastic head light cleaner from McQuiers I thinck (can't seem to find it)...My car sound like a small block idling threw the pits but in the water it sounds like an angry hornet (BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ)

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;that sucks with the weather shutting everything down! I haven't raced for about a month,heading to Sacramento Raceway this weekend [8 hour tow]for their All Ford Show.I've never been there but all my Ford freak friends talked me into going.The last time out the Comet ran 10.80 on all 5 passes,all within a few thou!I'm real happy with the Jerico and McLeod Soft-Loc clutch combo!When are you headed out again? Did you change anything over the winter? ROY

19. 65COMET

65COMET

SIX GUN;I race with a local nostalgia association that has alot of classes.There are a couple of straight 6 powered altereds that are screamers! I love the sound a 6 makes at full song!!! I use a cleaner on my Lexan that is supposed to be made for it but I still get light scratches!I guess I just need to get used to it,it is TOO damned expensive to replace,it is light though! ROY.

20. dogpatch customs

dogpatch customs
    from ohio

illflameit1:

NO I will not make it out that soon (but I do plan on going to Milan for a U.M.T.R. race later this year) are you going to the Rock&Race at dragway 42???[/QUOTE]

Oh yes going to rock n race for the entire weekend, gunna race it or break it hahaha(hopefully not brake it but you know..)

milan has one more end of year nosalgia event in august i think.

see ya there! george

21. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

22. 65COMET

65COMET

Bucksnort;that is a classic shot!! Looks like three guys crammed into the cab headed for a day of racing! I have never seen that picture before,KOOL! ROY.

23. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Hey Gary I found this pic the other day.Its a bad scan but does show some detail.

64 Marauders comet

[​IMG]

24. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

[​IMG]

Love the Ramp Truck. Need to get one of those.

25. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Forgot I had this one.First time down Famosa.Looking a little nervous.

[​IMG]

26. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;that is a great shot!! I would have been nervous too,there is someone behind you with a bazooka! ROY

27. Falconred

Falconred

Comet question, is the transmission crossmember the same with a Falcon and Comet??

28. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Falconred,

Yes they are the same.For my 65 Being I was keeping it street,I bought that heavy duty one from falcon parts.It says its for the c-4 but it worked perfect for the big spline toploader I put in mine.Everything lined up without any trouble. Heres a link to the part and what it looks like. ken

http://falconparts.com/1960-1965+C-4+AUTOMATIC+TRANSMISSION+STEEL+MOUNT.html

[​IMG]

29. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Damn I never noticed the Bazooka.It's a good thing I was hauling ass!!!

Hey Roy

Hope that car trailer is ready to go.Just got off the phone with Earl, and Fast Eddie just got off the phone with Barrillo.Sounds like Larry and Earl are taking the cammer mustang and Barrillo is taking both the 65 and 67 A/FX comets to this years Hot Rod Reunion down at Bowling Green.So throw in that Brannans going to be there with some of the drag council members, maybe we need to get our asses out there.I'll meet you down in Aberqurque on I 40 and well make Eddie buy us Dinner in Amarillo.

Sounds like a plan to me. Now, This looks like a line up. Fueling up the truck as we speak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  30. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

I took the pic early in the day of a big S/S-F/X show at my local track.1965.
    Those guys had an interesting day as the car rolled in the finals after breaking an axle.Got pics of that,will try to get them on here.