Register now to get rid of these ads!

Needed or not ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chucksdart, May 11, 2010.

1. chucksdart

chucksdart
    from Mo.

Due to the lack of anyplace else to put it , the fuel cell in my Essex 3 window coupe is going just behind the seats . It's a factory made ( Jaz I think ) welded steel tank . My question is , do I need to build a sheet metal firewall separating the tank from the passenger compartment ? I have owned countless old pickups with the tank mounted behind the seat in the passenger compartment and never had an issue but the manufacturers did end up moving it . It's not a huge deal to fabricate one but I have plenty else to do if it's not needed . What do you think ? Oh yeah , the tank will have a hard line for the vent and it will be routed well outside the area . I really appreciate the input . :confused:

2. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

It wouldn't hurt... could be a selling point for it later down the road. Just my $.02

3. 61bone

61bone

When you do need it, it's going to be a little late to do much fabrication. Even toyotas have a firewall between the passengers and the tank.

4. RichG

RichG

Might as well, no good reason not to.

5. There is a song from the 80s about gas tanks inside if cabs

We like the cars, the cars that go BOOM :D

6. chucksdart

chucksdart
    from Mo.

You're all right . I was just trying to be lazy . Thanks for the reality check !

7. DonnyB

DonnyB
    from Indiana

seperate it

8. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

JEEEZUZ, Really ?

Kinda like Stock Location Model "T" & "A" Tanks .......

If your car gets hit hard enough to Explode the Gas Tank, You won't even Give a Shit.

But since your BUILDING the car ... Put in a Firewall.

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

My state you have to .Also must be exposed from underneath the car also ......

10. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

A firewall will help isolate it from sources of ignition, if it blows up it won't matter........much............. I like my gas tank as far away from me as possible.

11. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

If your in a wreck, the tank probably won't explode but it could leak into the passenger compartment if its not sealed good. Seal the firewall.

12. Hmmmmm, I wonder why Ford quit doing that? :rolleyes:

Or why racing sanctioning bodies require it?

Hits themselves may not cause it, but you can be hit hard enough to split a seam, or slice a hose, or shear a fitting. I wonder how a person that just got hit in a tiny car feels about sitting in raw fuel. :cool:

13. chucksdart

chucksdart
    from Mo.

I could make it exposed from the bottom , I can see if it ruptured it would leak out and not in , might also expose it to road debris flying up and rupturing the tank , but it would still drain out if this happened . All good food for thought . It sure helps to get ideas from outside of my own head !

14. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

I understand Why you want the Tank away from Your Person, But every time this question is asked someone always says the same thing about "What if It Explodes"

If your tank is hit hard enough to Explode, Your not even going to Know that it did.

On the other Hand, MoPaR Pre War Cars had the Tank hanging off the back ... Same Place Ford moved theres in 1932.

If a tank is going to Explode I think it would be the one hit Directally from the Rear ... Don't You ?

I think To many people think in the Negative Worst about gas tanks, Anyone here ever had there tank Explode or Broken in an accident in ANY car ?

I still run the stock Tank in a '65 Chevy truck, Right behind the seat in the cab... Why you ask ?

Cus the next place to put it in under the bed in the REAR, Directally in Harms way in a rear end accident.... No Thanks...