Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 plymouth body questions Help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by younggun13, May 5, 2010.

1. younggun13

younggun13

Im starting on my 32 plymouth pb 3 window body, and there is wood surrounding the doors and back window. I Know thats the way they came and i kind of like the wood look. My question is what does the wood support? Is it better to replace it with metal some how? Also im thinking about throwing in a roll cage not a heavy duty one but one just to ease the mind and know its there if anything ever was to happen. Am i able to keep the wood and put in a roll cage, or should i get rid of the wood? Im hoping this is clear enough thanks alot.

2. Having first hand knowledge with a friends 32 plymouth PB coupe the wood is used as a tack strip for upholstry,,,HRP

3. younggun13

younggun13

interesting, so im taking that as it has nothing to do with support?

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

If it's anything like a Chevy which I think it is, it has everything to do with the support. The Chevy bodies were pretty much all wood wth sheet metal nailed to the body. If you plan on having a some serious HP then I would replace it all. We replaced the main two subrails with steel and tied 1x1 square tube through out the floor. We left the wood that supports the rest of the body though since he's running a 250 Chevy inline six. It's more of a Jalopy type car.

Here is some inspirations for a '32 Plymouth....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449469

[​IMG]

5. kookee

kookee

While I can not speak to the wood in a 3 window, there are some very good folks here that you can check with. ezduzit is a very good source of information.

Are you using the frame or other sheet metal? Hood, etc.?

6. younggun13

younggun13

im using a 34 frame with the stock parrellel leafs. I know the body wont mount up exactly im planning on channeling the body over the frame rails. I have the hood, although i want to get it on the road and restore the hood and eventually put it on. Im not going to be running fenders although i do have them im going to keep them for the future. Thanks for all the help

7. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I'm not an expert on early mopars but I believe they were the first to offer an all steal body in the 20's. The wood is just for the upholstery not structure.

8. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Not that it matters much but that's a PA coupe not a PB. PB's have sucide doors and no visors.

10. younggun13

younggun13

beautiful so i can just refinish the wood and put the cage in?

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Ok sorry I have no idea what a PB is. SHould have read better. Disregard everything I said.

12. ezdusit

ezdusit

In the Model PB Plymouth closed cars, the wood is incidental to the structure except in the roof, where it supports the chicken wire radio antenna and the roof fabric. Around the windows, it serves as the base for the mouldings and upholstery. These closed bodies were built by the Briggs Body Company and they had transitioned to all-steel construction by 1932. The open cars, on the other hand (with the exception of the convertible coupes), were still being produced by the Chrysler Body Works. This was the old Maxwell Body Works and still built metal bodies over a wooden framework, built as the carriages that preceded them. In those cars, the wooden structure is a big deal, as it really does provide the structural integrity of the whole car above the frame. Here's what a roadster looks like "under the skin:"
    [​IMG]

13. Blown Mopar

Blown Mopar
    from abc

This car is a '32 Mopar and trust me the wood is important to body structure. Don't leave home without it.

Attached Files:

14. 32 Ply nut

32 Ply nut

Hi...All 32 Plymouth Lovers, I have 33 years experience with 32 Ply PA's & PB's The wood in a PB Closed car is for Upholstery the car will not fall apart without it.... Listen to EZDUSIT, Bob know his stuff!

15. oldplymouthsrock

oldplymouthsrock

I recently bought a 32 Plymouth PB 3 window. I have been busy trying to find missing little pieces. I need to find a inside door handle, window handle, trunk handle, gas tank straps. I want to put a fatman rear steer IFS on the front end. The previous owner tack welded a corvair front clip in. Sits to high. I agree that the wood is for the upholstery except on the roof. Does it still have the factory hole in the roof or has it been filled in. I believe there is a couple pieces of wood under the main body. Apparently you don't have the original frame though and you are going to channel it. I have the frame but the suspension has all been changed. If anyone can help me with any of my missing parts please let me know. I would love to see some pictures as your car comes together. I can't wait to get mine on the road. It is going to be one sweet ride. Hit me back.