Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door Sheetmetal outer skin patch help please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58 Delpala, May 9, 2010.

1. 58 Delpala

58 Delpala
    from NC

here is the door I started with. I thought it was a perfect door till I stripped the paint off and found this mess.
    [​IMG]
    So I cut that part out and made a new piece to put in. I also repaired some rust on the inner structure
    [​IMG]
    I forgot to get a picture of when I had the repaired part trimmed down right but here is the new outerskin patch tacked on.
    [​IMG]
    My question is how do I fold the metal around the corner? I mean I know to use a hammer and dolly, but I looked at the original way they did it and I doubt I can do it that way. So I need some advice. Actually it would be nice if someone could tell me the entire process I should use to do this. I am afraid if I start outside and work tward the corner it will not be right once I get to the corner and visa versa.

2. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

my $.02... I folded the edge over to just past 90* in a break. then trimed to fit every where else. I made a few tacks, then finnished folding it over with a hammer and dolly. Don't start at the edge and wrok in... it can change shape on you fast.
    Good luck!
    Jay

3. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

my 2 cents dont ever draw black marker on because after the cars all painted it will come to haunt you ..

4. tinmann

tinmann

Do yourself a favor and cut that right angle of original skin off at a diagonal. Two reasons, less area to weld and less force pulling trying to cave in your weld. Looks like you have decent access from the back side. Why does your patch look like used metal? Anyhow, be sure to smack each small weld while still hot so that you stretch the seam before it gets a chance to shrink. Keep up with maintaining a perfect profile as you go. There's no such thing as fixing it later. As far as the 180 crimp, brake what you can before installation. Dolly on the outer skin, hammer from inside. Do a little at a time to avoid too much stretch.

5. fitzee

fitzee

There is a number of ways to roll the corner.Problem is it will distort when you roll the corner and the metal will try to over lap itself.I have made jigs from 1/8 plate the same as the corner.One to fit inside and one outside,clamp togeather and start working the metal around.Using heat will help but watch it you might send the heat up through your panel and warp your skin.Another way is to make the inner lip separate from your skin. fold you straight edges to the turn then flip the door over and weld you inner lip in place.You will have to dress your edge but this way is much easier.

6. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

You can use a crescent wrench to gradually tip the hemmed edge over. Practice on a scrap piece first! For the radius at the corner, it is common to cut down the flange there so that you have less shrinking to do going around the corner.

Kent White sells a good video called "Edge Those Panels" that is well worth the money. It would help you a lot. His web site:

www.tinmantech.com

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

7. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I'd suggest you build a hammer form from plywood and turn your patch's flange from that. They're easy to make and produce great parts that look press formed.
    Look in the search area of this site or the various metalshaping sites on the intercourse, today on "Hammerforming''.

You can turn this flange with a hammer & heel or toe dolly but that will take you some pratice to master.

Patch panels made from new, clean sheet stock create less rust and paint problems later on.

" Spending a nation into generational debt is not an act of compassion "