Register now to get rid of these ads!

1.5" Thick or Thin whitewalls on 64 Impala?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55 1ST SERIES, May 9, 2010.

?
  1. 1.25" Thick whitewall

37 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. 1/2" Thin whitewall

40 vote(s)
    51.9%
  1. Ok guys, I'd like your opinion. I'm going to buy some new tires for my stock wheels. I haven't decided on the whitewall size yet. Which one do you guys think would look better? Thick or thin?

I'm going to alternate between 64 Super Sport caps, like the ones in the picture, and standard 64 Impala caps.

The whitewalls in the pic are shaved to 1.25". If I go that route, they won't be any larger than that. I'm looking at 175/70/14's, possibly 185/75/14's at most.
    I know, I know...that seems small for such a large car, but I can't help it. You know how we love those tiny tires on our lowriders!:D

Oh yeah, if anyone has pics of an Impala with thin whitewalls & hubcaps, feel free to post them. I'll start searching for some in the meantime.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  2. BTW, I'm just interested in your opinion on whitewall thickness. I don't want to start an argument or have anyone try to school me on how in 1964 thin whitewalls were period correct.

Let's all play nice! I don't want to start another rant like the Bias/Radial debate.

3. Keep what you've got. Nice car.

4. I used a pic of your car Michelle. Hope thats OK!;)

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

I like the first pic... but it just might be how low it is that makes me like it?? :D

6. 56ih

56ih

Normally I like wide whites, but the thinner ones do look nice on the '60s era cars. Especially low ones, I've got the same questions about my Galaxie 500XL.

In the end though, it's your car. Do what you want. Everyone else be damned.

7. Tony

Tony

I dig the thin whites on these cars for some reason. The 1.5's look nice, but i'd go thin if it were mine..
    Nice looking car btw.

8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

People seem to like the 2 1/2 inch whitewalls on my Caprice. 2 3/41s in the rear for the hot rod stance, otherwise the front tire looks bigger,it`s slammed to the ground.

9. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

thinner white walls look good w/the stock wheels but if i had a 64 i couldnt resist having a set of 14x7 reversed 100 spoke daytons and some shaved 5.20's , lol !

10. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yea, no worries dude. Go on wit your bad self.:)

11. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

You know, the cool thing about tires is, if you don't like the way they look, just drive the crap out of them and wear 'em out. You can always replace them with the other size white wall the next time around; when you buy new shoes for it.;)

12. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I'm surprised you didn't use this view.
    [​IMG]

13. bfink, I've got some 13x7, 72 spokes. No 5.20's though.

Attached Files:

14. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

You know what, now I cant decide which ones I like better. Thanks a lot.

15. 51 mercules

51 mercules

You're not indecisive are you,I don't know,maybe?Lol!

16. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Nah!! Can't you read? I used to be indecisive, now I'm just unsure.:D .... Maybe.

17. 51 mercules

51 mercules

No!I kant spel ether.Lol1Product of the California education system.

18. With wires, Supremes, or Cragars you can't go wrong with a thin whitewall. I think anything bigger than 5/8" looks cheesy on any of the rims I just mentioned. But there are some exceptions.

On the other hand, I've always liked the 1.25" with hubcaps. I just haven't decided on which ones to buy this time.

19. pinner white walls on 60's rides for sure on my 62 Merc with Supremes, but it's your car do what you like not what other think you should.

20. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I like the thin ones.

21. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Yea, me neteher. Spell check is my best friend..... when it works.

22. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

Looks good to me with what you got. Maybe when you wear out the old shoes, try the thicker whites!

23. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

Actually, my favorite rims are the True Spoke with the big knock off that hid the lug nuts. These type True Spoke had some black decal with Chevy cross flags on them, if my memory serves me well. But, I haven't seen those since I was knee high to a grass hopper..... circa 1979.:eek:

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  24. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

By the way 55 1st series, how did you get that boat to sit down that low??? Are you running bags?? Or just cut coils?

25. bfink55

bfink55
    from Turlock CA

NICE ! its great to have a ride that you can change the look of with just a swap of the wheels .....its like having 2-3 different cars !

26. :DWith these!

Attached Files:

27. J-lopy, I'm running the D's & thin whites now. I'm buying tires for the stock wheels & hubcaps.

28. chaco

chaco
    from Modesto,CA

You gotta go with the 1.25. Pinners look good with some rims, but with hub caps i'd say 1.25 especially on a 64 with ss hubcaps.

29. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

These are the rims I was talking about.

[​IMG]

My personal favorites. Better than any 13x7 D's could ever be. I mean, this is old school lowriding at its finest!!

30. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

I've been wanting a set of these for some time now.
    Alow me to show these again. Just for posterity.
    [​IMG]