Register now to get rid of these ads!

O/T Going in for Surgery next week - Health Warning!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kinky6, Oct 15, 2009.

1. well i guess i will tell all of you diabetes is no fun, and a lot of pain

i was diagnosed in about 1976 , no technology, no money back then
    got a foot infection about 18 years ago think I had about 600 or highter blood sugar they went into a chrisis which caused some changes in my life too.... even the woman i married has diabetes, but she is in de nile!! and that is not a river in Egypt

God has been good to me I can still see and can do most stuff except have fun eating and no alcohol for bonzo here[it always made me fall down anyway] :eek:

the main reason I am on this site is I live to go to car shows and this is my life and do the best i can with whats left of my life:D

after Stray Cat I am going to do a body job on my car and hope I have the stength to get it done:cool:

i do not heal and wear gloves working and try to avoid burns and cuts I really want a tatoo but that too would be a no no!!

2. OK guys this does NOT gotta be a fatal thing!1 year ago I found out I had it,A1C over 10.9 and 1st blood test was 479...........fast fotward 1 year,Ive dropped 70 pounds,Im OFF all dibetic meds (have been since 11/09) and still work out 3times a week,as well as eat normal but LOW or NO surgar meals and just watch my self,I still have a cocktail from time to time and even had some tattoo work done,so moral is take care of your ass and listen to your doctors and READ and STUDY on your own as well as get involved in classes............and life will be near normal and will seem even better than you might believe !..........

3. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

There's not "only" the diabetic to watch out for if you're a xxl, consider the heart as well. I survived a massive heart attack 2 years ago and can only fill in what they all say. Go have a medical checkout AND follow the advice you'll get. I lost 30 lbs and quit smoking and drinking and have never felt better. I can order L swag from Ryan today LOL

4. ironpile

ironpile

Off topic sum,but whats more important than our health so we can enjoy our hobby. I`m type2 with blood sugars all over the place. Don`t forget ,if your a veteran you can get good results working with the VA

5. 408 AA/D

408 AA/D

Best of luck with the surgery, hope all goes well and you have a speedy recovery.

I am also having surgery next week to repair an Aeortic Aneurysm. If you have never been checked for this condition, ask your doctor to do so. If you have this and it ruptures, you can pretty well kiss your ass goodbye in a matter of minutes.

6. kisam

kisam

Wishing you a speedy recovery!

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 at the age of 6. His blood sugar was 1600 and he was near death. He is now a healthy 19 year old. He was in the middle of a growing spurt or so I thought. Growing 2 or 3 inches and slimming up. Looking back at pictures now, makes me sick to my stomache. How could I have missed it?

Signs to watch for in your CHILDREN:

1. Unquenchable Thirst!
    2. Frequent Urination and/or bedwetting
    3. Weight Loss

If you even suspect, you can always find someone with a glucometer. Clean the equipment and put in a new needle and do a finger stick. 80-120 means normal.

7. Kinky - Best wishes and I hope you feel better soon.

8. Capt. Zorro

Capt. Zorro

Good luck Man, I lost my Wife to a combination of Diabetes and CHF. I couldn't get her to stop smoking and drinking wine. She died in her sleep so I guess that's about the best we can hope for, unless we have an orgasmic overload.

9. Kinky6

Kinky6

Hey, thanks for all the comments, guys.

Yeah, I'm all healed up from the surgery; its nice not having to bandage up an open wound every day before throwing on my jeans and T-shirt, but it has taken me out contender status for the hang-belly competition. :rolleyes:

My pants are a little looser as I'm still loosing weight, and a routine checkup yesterday showed that I have an A-1-c (long term blood sugar reading) of 5.3, which is safely below the "norm" of 6.0 (I was at 13.0 when I was first diagnosed).

Ya can't enjoy your hot rods if ya ain't got your health, and Diabetes can ruin your health in so many ways, you don't want to hear about 'em all!

Happy hot roddin', y'all :D

Kinky6 :cool:

10. damn...thats great news!

11. thendrix

thendrix

Damn 5.3 is GREAT!!! Good luck to you sir. I have been kicking around the idea of getting a pump but I still have reservations. I talked to a guy from medtronic and he let me "play" with one and that helped some but ....

12. llonning

llonning

Congrats!!!!!!!!!

13. forty1

forty1

Good luck on the surgery & recovery.
    I go in for Prostrate surgery on the 14th of may.
    Here's to reminding everyone to keep up your regular blood tests, & hug your Dr.
    -41-

14. kisam

kisam

Great news! Glad you are doing well!

15. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

Good on ya', John!!!!

Good to see your "Ample Ass" dropping some pounds!!!

Glad you are feeling better!!!

16. koolkat

koolkat
    from Merced CA

Again, a bump to the top . Very important to everybody.