Register now to get rid of these ads!

best abrasives?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sawzall, May 26, 2008.

1. sawzall

sawzall

I have been using JUNK abrasives for some time now.. basically My mantra was buy a large quantity cheap.. and it will be alright that they don't last very long!

anyhow

its time to change my ways..

so.. who makes a good abrasive grinding wheel? specifically 4.5 inch dia's?

how about flap disc's?
    and where do I buy them

fwiw

I just finished grinding with a harbor freight flap wheel.. and feel like I was sandblasted.. the Russian "grit" thats attached to their flap wheels doesn't stay attached very long!

sawzall

2. Before we tell ya' what we're usin', tell us what junk you've been using.

What happens if the both of us are usin' the same junk!!!

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Norton or Merit. Most autobody and welding suppy stores will have them. 3M stuff is good also. Flap wheels work neat but even real good ones don't last too long.

4. I use Norton on wheels and Mirka on Sandpaper

5. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

WWW.MSCDIRECT.COM

Saves you time with one stop for most of the brands mentioned above plus more brands to choose from.

3M/Norton/Merit and others

6. Chad s

Chad s

Walter flap wheels. They are $10 each, but they cut faster, better, and last longer than any others Ive tried, and Ive tried a lot.

http://www.jwalterinc.com/walter_us/servlet/Home
    http://www.aaabrasives.com/products...ep_finishing_solution/walter_steel__stainless

For grinding stones and especialy cut off wheels, look into Pferd. Also priced higher than most, but a Pferd cut off wheel will outlast a Norton by about 5 times, and cut faster and cleaner. In that aspect, they are cheaper than Nortons.
    http://www.pferdusa.com/
    http://www.toolzone.com/acatalog/Premium.html
    Both of the above companies are German

7. 3M all the way. A good American company. A cool fact is how they got thier start in the Auto Industry. Henry Ford went to them in need of a solution to cut down on dust in the Model T plant. The Sales rep went back to 3M and witht he Lab peopLe inveNted a product still in use today at almost every Body Shop, Wet or Dry Sandpaper. Henry ordered a railroad car of it on the spot. For Rolocs try the new Imperial, nothing better for grinding on Welds.

8. tttlesabre

tttlesabre
    from NY

I know many of you hate that auction site but I have bought flap discs from seller id clslcs2000 They have all worked out very well and do last a resonable amount of time. 10 for about $30 shipped 20 for about$50. I have had good luck with them. You can also choose the grit 40, 60, 80, and I think even 100 and 120. Hope this helps

9. pitman

pitman

Norton was based in Worcester, MA. Good company making fine abrasive products.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I've been happy with the ones from the Klingspor lately. And the truck stops by every week to make sure I still have some.

11. Norton = Saint Gobain = French

12. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Jeff,try some from this company http://www.weilercorp.com/ .They have some really good flap discs along with alot of other grinding/surfacing stuff.The owner is a car guy too:). We built a 54 Ford convert. mild custom for him:D.

13. gas pumper

gas pumper

I used to know a guy who worked in the plant. And I've bought the wire cup wheels from them. I was doing a brick restoration thing and was wire brushing bricks with a wheel in a 4 1/2 grinder. What a suck job, but the product was great.
    So they are made in USA.

Frank

14. hsheartaches

hsheartaches

Blueline flappers that I picked up at Fastenal. For Nylon abrasives, I use either HF to get a big area quickly or Norton's for detail work. I'll also use Norton flapper discs from time to time. HF discs have a habit of exploding, so I stay away from anything that could cut me if it flies apart at 10,000 rpm's.

15. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

They do have a factory "overseas" but all of the high end brushes and discs are made in Mountainhome,Pa. We got a personal tour of the plant:D.

16. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

I will second Klingspor, good abrasives, plus the rep comes by, takes the order, then U.P.S. delivers it. It is painless, plus they work well.
    Jimmy White

17. HHRdave

HHRdave
    BANNED
    from So Cal

18. A Boner

A Boner

If you are doing some small stuff, you can use a file..........they last for like 20 years!!!!

Some abrasives don't last very long, and the others are even worse.

19. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Aluminum oxcide I think works the best, can it via 3M or Clayton. Depends mostly what your trying to sand. Metal= silicone carbide, composites= aluminum oxcide. There are tons of suppliers it just depends on what your willing to pay. No such thing as a cheap good sanding medium.

20. banginona40

banginona40

For cut-off wheels I use Harbor Freight (hate to admit it) but I never seem to plan ahead enough to order and at 10 for $5.00 I can live with that. Home Depot in my area stocks Norton for discs and flap wheels so that's what I use. Never really impressed with any of them but they seem to get the job done.

21. WhoDoYouFink

WhoDoYouFink

3m and Norton both make extremely good products, but know that most of their raw Silicon Carbide and White fused alumina (aluminum oxide) comes from over seas (mostly China and Mongolia). The reason I know is because I used to manage a bagging facility for one of their suppliers. We also shipped product to some of the "cheaper" manufacturers. Same grit and sizes, the biggest difference is their binders. Thats why they have a tendency to "grenade" under heavy use.

22. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Sandpaper I love Norton blue mag.

23. JohnJoyo

JohnJoyo
    Alliance Vendor
    from Austin, TX

Anyone tried "Blackstone" products? They're sold through Fastenal and may be a Fastenal house brand. We usually use 3M, but may give these a spin.....

24. For big cut off wheels, I like Flex-O-vit..for the chop saw and such. They last way longer than any you can get at Home depot or HF.

They are not cheap, but by the time you burn down 4 or 5 cheapos, this one still works.
    They sell them at Airgas or Praxair.

That company makes smaller ones too for grinders, as well as flap wheels.

25. lowstrung

lowstrung

I use Klingspor at work and they work well. Made in Germany. I use them hard too. Both flap disc's and the green sanding disc pad that you use on the backing plate.

I also use Jet products because Lordco the local B.C Chain store here carries them and they are nice too.

26. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

We buy everything direct from klingspor...rep comes out once a week and restocks our shop, great product.

27. lowstrung

lowstrung

Is Klingspor exspensive? You dont pay attention when shelves are stocked and you have free rein.

28. simple454

simple454
    from Yuma Az.

29. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

Looks a bit spamish...

3M & Norton here, ex Bro In law dropped off 5 or 6 rolls of 36 & 50 grit emery the other day made back in the day it was 3 Mite, looks to be from the 50's.

Not sure who I use for grinder discs, but they are good uns

30. hepcat_13

hepcat_13

I'll second Lehigh Valley Abrasives. Cheap and good.