Register now to get rid of these ads!

Did anyone here learn to DRIVE in an old car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ocean56, May 6, 2010.

1. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

Or truck?

When I was growing up, my dad taught me to drive in his 1936 Ford 3/4 ton panel truck. I was about 8 years old, so this would have been in 1964 or so.

We lived on a farm, and he would let me drive it in 1st (granny) gear in the yard.

Sadly, he's not alive any more, and he TRADED the truck (AND 2 Packards!) in on a running car in about 1968!!!

Anyone else?

2. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

I learned how to drive in a Model A, in 1954. It had been cut down for use on the farm. I was about ten. The cow pasture was so rough, you couldn't drive in anything but first. BUT, after the hay was cut, we were allowed to drive around the edge of the hay field. Then we could use second and third. Got pretty scarry sometimes. Man, what a childhood!

3. riverrat

riverrat

57 chevy pick-up. at night. while my parents were sleeping. later on driver ed. 58 chevy biscayne, 6 cyl. 3spd.

4. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Farmall Super H tractor first, at 8 years old, then a 1948 Ford one ton hauling grain from the field to the grain bins, then a 53 Chevy sedan to drive grandma into town to get groceries. At 14 years old in South Dakota where I grew up, you could get a farm permit that let you drive anywhere within a 50-mile range of your home address during daylight hours.

So I guess I learned to drive a car in an 11 year old car, except it wasn't really considered "old" back when I drove it. The truck and tractor were in wide open spaces, so I don't consider it driving.

5. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

Took my test in a '54 Stude' Champion

6. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Pops first taught me to drive on a 1953 Fordson tractor. Then I moved up to a '63 Chevy truck that was a total rust bucket on our ranch. The battery was dead and he said that if I killed the engine I would have to walk back to get another vehicle to jump start it with. Believe me, after that happened a couple times I learned not to kill the engine on that three on a tree. Wise man that Pops.

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I taught myself to drive in my 49 chevy in my profile.

took my driving test in my friends mom's 65 Impala.

8. olskool34

olskool34

I am 32 and I learned to drive in my 57 ford f-100 that I bought when I was 15. My dad took me around the block in it and then got out and told me to drive. Stalled it once.

9. got my first car, a 1950 Dodge Meadowbrook, in December, 1987. Learned to drive in it.

10. teddyp

teddyp

lean to drive in a 41 caddy that my godfarther gave me in 1962

11. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

not really old but a 78 Chevy Van with zero windows and zero power steering.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

A 51 Chevy 4dr but it was not an old car then.:D No one wanted to be seen driving your moms 4dr sedan back then but beggars can't be choosers.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'56 Chevy, '50 Chevy, '50 Ford.............took my test in '53 Merc

Ray

14. Well, it was a new car at the time, a 64 Chrysler Newport, I was 12

15. Yea but they weren't old cars when I learned to drive. Well maybe we considered anything newer than about '60 to be late model.

16. NoSurf

NoSurf

My first memory driving was steering a '47 Ford hay truck around the field so my Dad and Mr. Czikowski could throw the bales on. I was about 8 years old. Here's a pic of the farm in Hamburg Cove Connecticut on Joshuatown Road.

[​IMG]

Later we moved and I used to drive my Dad's '65 Chevy shortbed stepside around our huge garden pulling a disc harrow. I soon learned to shift up out of first, and if my Dad hadn't put the kybosh on my left turns I woulda had a nice high banked oval...

17. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

1936 Chevy in '53. As I recall shifting the floor shift, dealing with the clutch, arm out turn signals and gas pedal maxed me out! Of course my Dad wanted me to talk about how I was doing in school at the same time..meltdown!

18. When I took Driver's Ed in 1971 the school had 6 new Ford LTD's and a couple of Lincoln Town Cars along with a lonely 1964 Bug. When we went for first day of driving, everyone ran to the Ford's except me. I was alone with that bug and had a great time driving it.
    First car I drove before that was a 1961 Sunbeam Alpine that my dad had. Recently while walking through the Orange Plaza Car Show with my Mom (who is now 79), she said "I learned to drive on one of those" and pointed to a 37 Ford

19. '46 Willys Jeep in 1975. I was 13.

My Grandfather showed me the shift pattern, then jumped into the passenger seat and said "let's go". :)

20. burnout2614

burnout2614

I am 47, learned to drive a 48 chev aerosedan 216 3spd when I was 9, I still have the car. peace

21. 40Chevy

40Chevy
    from california

Probably not as cool as some of your stories, but I learned on my moms '64 Dart Convert. Slow as snot and when you hit the brakes remotely fast, the back end would come around on you.

22. Michael Pukash

Michael Pukash

Trackor first,then an old beet truck. First car was a 50 ford woody field car. I got poped buy the cops driving the county roads. I was 10.

23. vintage44

vintage44
    from NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

Grew up in a junk yard (er, Recycle establishment) in the 50s. Whatever dad brought in that was running or could be made to run, my brother and I got to use. Started driving about 9 yrs old - mostly late 40s and early 50s stuff. Man, those old cars had a certain odor to the interior that I can still smell. Most memorable vehicle was about a '53 Dodge pickup - yard truck. When we were closed on Sunday's in the summer, my buddies and I would have 'time trials' around the perimeter of the yard. The new Holiday Inn next door did NOT enjoy the dust thrown up and drifting into their rooms. :D Good times.

24. Blam

Blam

i'm 23, learned how to drive when i was 9 in a 1958 international, that i used to irrigate fields. Just got that old truck running again a couple weeks ago!

25. gas pumper

gas pumper

47 Ford 1 1/2 ton. About 10 years old. We had a garage that was 100 ft long in a city. I could get that truck up to speed to hit 3 rd gear(start in second), jumpon the brakes stop at the door, back up and do it again. all day long. I did get to drive it later on on the street, too.
    Great times and good experience, once you learn a crash box double clutching, you can drive anything well.

It was considered an old truck then by everyone.

26. H3O

H3O

i learned how to drive a stick in my uncles 64 bug and my 62 f100.

i already learned how to drive before, unfortuneately. those old cars are more fun, learned that very quick.

no power steering in my truck works out the arms and attracts the ladies!!! :D:D

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

1903 curve dash oldsmobile.

28. Ratthell

Ratthell

My dad had a 54 F100,with a telephone co. box on the back! I learned on the gravel road on our way to "camp"' where I now live after retirement...
    Surely wish I could have kept him from selling that one!

29. Rogi

Rogi

My pops taught my bro & I to drive in his original 25 T coupe. I first drove it when I was 12. He'd drive out to a warehouse district in El Paso w/ HUGE parking lots & let us have at it! Good times.

30. Kramer

Kramer

'49 DeSoto 4 door. At age 2 I learned the hard way what a suicide door was (no seat belts). When I go bald the scar were I needed stitches will show. Probably was 13 or so when dad would let me go back an forth in the driveway with it. Folks finally sold that car in the late 70's when they moved to another city.