Register now to get rid of these ads!

I got this Lil Vicky...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tuck, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I picked up this Vicky from Jonny Cola-
    It was a driver- and I traded my tow truck and some parts for it this winter and took it out on the lake...

This is what it looked like- just before I wipped donuts on the frozen lake...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I've always wanted a shoebox convert, since I was 15 years old- and you can make a vic into a real convert- so this is it- my chance...

I've had dreams of this car---->
    [​IMG]

So I'm gonna build my beater version of it I call the Tuxedo... I started to scratch away at it a little- I'm gonna keep it on the road... and make it a chopped kustom convert that looks like it rolled right outta the mid fifties.

I got a rusty 50 convert a while ago and thats what I'll use for the donor roof after I cut the spot welds and lift the hardtop off. For the mean time the top is staying on... It looks good-

[​IMG]

The guy that Jonny got it from rebuilt the suspension, new shocks, brakes... all that lil stuff. I put in a rebuilt gen and replaced the radiaitor... the flatty runs good- could use a warm cam and some rings... but shes a keeper.

I need to de-arch the springs in the back and get it to sit right (Midwest low[tm])... then we'll be talkin...

The body is pretty good. It needs rockers and lower fender patches... typical stuff. The floors are pretty good- same with the back of the trunk- thats pretty solid too-

I'm kinda gettin excited so I figured I would share some pics. I wana take it to back to the fifties in june- should be a fun lil beater shoebox to drive around.

Attached Files:

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Love the radiused rear wheel wells!

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

A suggestion: If you're going to "radius" the rear wheel wells, make them look like the fronts (or pull some fronts off some damaged fenders)...don't make the rears round...that looks like an after-thought (or an ex drag car someone decided to kustomize...!!! Make them look like they belong there...

R-

4. studematt

studematt

I have always like that shoebox convert to. good luck.

5. freebird101

freebird101

6. Im really partial to the vicky roof and would be bummed to see it go. BUT... it would good the other way as well. IMO

7. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Welcome to the Vicky club. That convertible is f%cking rad.

8. Great! We all love shuboxes. Personally, I like coupes the best but a nice rag-top or vicky is cool too. I see it slammed with a 49 Grille and tailights....super shiny black with original quarters and a black cloth top...yeah, with chrome wheels and original 49-50 center caps on black tires...very slinky.
    I saw this very car at Americruise one year and it laid me away..but it had chrome americans...a little too 70s for me.
    Here's my old multi-colored vicky before it got painted all white...a mistake.

Attached Files:

9. Should work out nice! The rear fenders look pretty close already.

10. Fenders

Fenders

My very first car -- in 1957 -- was a 1949 Ford convertible.
    Go for it !!

11. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I really like the Vicky roof on these cars, but the ragtop will be the shit. Somebody will give you some good money for that roof if you take it off right.

Good call.

Kevin

12. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

awe... I look at that convertible and I wouldnt change a thing.

It works... and I've seen people try and match the wheel wells and I think it looks funny-

If you think about it... the wheel wells didnt match from the factory to begin with. How many wheel wells actually match?

Some of the best Kustoms have quirkyness that just makes sense when its all done... just do your best to hold your nose...

I need to dump the back another 3 inchs with de-arched springs and the front is coming down another inch with pocket drops... if I need to come down more I'll reverse the spindles. I think thats what looks so cool on the convert- that the whitewall is up in the radius a lil bit-

once the rear wheels are up inside the radius... its gonna look rad. Im gonna do my best to match the stance of that convert. That thing has the right porportions and stance... its just so bad ass...

I can't wait to take the roof off and chop the windshield...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  13. Ruiner

Ruiner

Jeff, I built a benchtop tool to arch/de-arch leaf springs from some scraps of 2x4 rectangular tubing and a cheap hydraulic bottle jack...I can send you a pic of a sketch to give you an idea of how I built it if you want...it works fast and gets tucked away under the bench when not in use...

14. trad27

trad27

Very cool car, I always loved the vickys of those years. I really like the radiused wells.

15. lowerdtrucks

lowerdtrucks
    from Yuma, AZ

Tuck, is it customary for you to do donuts on a frozen lake whenever you get a new hot rod?:D

16. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

thats prety neat.... thats exactly waht I was going to do with my convert...... I kind of like it as a vicky......

17. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You could not have picked a better car for inspiration - that's been my favorite '49 - '51 Ford always. Make it look exactly the same and you can't loose!

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a soft spots for 51 Vics. My folks bought one that was going to be mine when I was 15 and ended up selling it when they got tight for money.

19. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

20. What caps did you use for that wheel treatment? very cool car, but I would have a hard time yanking that roof off.

21. Dirty_Don

Dirty_Don
    from mpls, mn.

Tuck, WE BETTER see THIS VIC AT the 50s or we will come alookin fer ya

22. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

This is perhaps my all-time favorite shoebox. If I ever get a chance at another car, I want to find one to keep. Iz be jealous, big time. Gary

I just realized... WHAT.. you are going to remove that fantastic lid? Please reconsider!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That's the first thing that ran through my head.

24. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I'll be at 50's with it for sure Don.

I know... that roof looks rad but I'm gonna take it off really gentle like and someone can use it on there shoebox. :) I have it in the classifieds...

Those wheels are 49 ford 16" with 600x16's... I have a couple sets- I like the bigger wheels it looks more porportinate to me than 15's... and you can't really tell they're that much bigger with the 600's on it.

The rings are NOS stainless "chrome sides" for those 16" wheels. I dont know where I would find another set. The plan would be to run the 49 centers I just need to buy a new set because all of the pairs in my attic are rough...

25. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

UPDATE:

Post Torqfest and Rikster induced trance from the third picture...

[​IMG]

So its no longer a vicky... I need to change over all the inner side panels and rear seat so its legit- Rikster sent me some pics that got me super motivated- This car is gonna stay on the road as a driver/beater in progress project- but im super excited about it. Man I've wanted a convert since I was 15-

I have a scratch relief I did of a convert almost identical to this- only it had round tail lights and a 51 dash- radiused wheel wells etc- in high-school art class when I was 16 or so...

Its got new shocks, rebuilt suspension, new brakes, charging system, and tires...

I rewired the Overdrive and it works awesome...

[​IMG]

I know... this car had a lift off top- but mines gonna have a real chopped drop top... Im going to Z the rear frame just like Cunninghams convert too- I can't wait to have this stance... :)
    [​IMG]

26. Clutched

Clutched

Way to go TUCK. that last picture is so fucking cool!

27. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looking good. I have been taking a liking more and more to converts from the 50's. Best of both worlds!!!!

28. glassguy

glassguy

i will be following this soooo closely !!! i love that car! good luck...

29. Jaker

Jaker

30. Hot Rod Pat

Hot Rod Pat

That is looking fantastic. Can't wait to see the car at 50's. Taking request for rides yet...