Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Me Identify Some Cars I Inherited Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickcadillacman, May 3, 2010.

1. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

Hi, long time reader, first time poster. Love a lot of the cars on here, I'll post mine up one of these days when I get started building them...

So a couple years ago I inherited all my old mans "dream" cars, I know what the majority of them are, but a couple of them I only know approximately what they are, but I want to find out exactly what they are. I'm better at identifying cars from the 50's, 60's and 70's, but need help with the earlier ones. They are all very cool cars and I have no intention of selling any of them. They have now become my "dream" cars :) Definitely going to build some of them exactly like the old man dreamed, but some are getting my own touch :D I know I'll never get to all of them (there are something like 40 of them hahaha) but my kids will need dream cars one of these days too!

Anyway, to the cars...

#1 Chevy???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#2 ???

[​IMG]

#3 ???

[​IMG]

#4 32 Ford???

[​IMG]

#5 32 Ford??? (tops been hacked off :()

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#6 50's Buick???

[​IMG]

Thanks for the help!
    Nate

2. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

# 3, 4, and 5 = '31 model A's

# 2 = 33-34 ford pickup

#6 = 53 Buick

3. #1 35-36 Chevy
    #2 32-34 ford Pickup
    #3,4,5 all 30-31 Model A's
    #6 52 Buick

4. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

Cool! Thanks guys for the quick reply's :D

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The coupe i the first Pics has semi elliptic front springs. didn't Chevys of that vintage have the knee action set up??? I was thinking the rear 1/4 windows look like mopar like 35/6 Plymouth business coupe.

6. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

So you're going to be one of those "cough-cough", "hack-hack", spitting up brown stuff, walking with a walker and oxygen tubes in the nose, "I'm going to fix 'em up" while they rot into the ground type of old geezers? Nice. You'll be real popular around here :D

7. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Easy! They're his cars to do with as he will.

I hope to have a collection I intend to fix up one day

8. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

HAHAHAHA, yep ;) but I got about 40-50 years before I'm and old geezer... plenty of time to get em built! In reality I'll probably sell some to fund other ones, but man it's going to be hard to pick and choose... now if I could just find where I placed that winning lotto ticket :p

9. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

#1 is '37- '39 Chev. The standard models had an axle and semi- eliptic springs.

10. I believe the knee action came out in 36, but the standard or the Master series up though 37-38 had a straight axle with parallel leaves. My 38 was a Master and originally had the axle.

That is most definitely a 35-36 in #1

11. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

:( I want that Buick. Congratulations on the inheritance, got some cool history out there rusting away...take good care of it or find loving homes :D

12. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

# 2 is a '32. That is the last year for a removeable firewall. The '33s and '34s are one pice with the cab.

Unless its a '33-34 where somebody took the hack saw to it?

13. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

#1 is a '35 ED (rear hinged doors) ... Master with beam axle instead of knees for about $20 less when new, available '35-'38. Closer look shows the mechanical brakes last used in '35.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  14. Good eye! I didn't notice the suicide hinges until you mentioned it.

15. Whats your plan for those pickups in the background?

Any 50's-60's Fords or Mercs in the collection that you might sell?

16. buickcadillacman

buickcadillacman
    from az

Thanks for the help, I didn't even notice the suicide doors on the chevy, and I have looked at it quite a few times haha

Anyone know if the Buick is a 52 or 53? (Got one vote for each)

I've got a few, but not sure about selling anything right now...

17. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

:pThey're all worthless junk, throw them in a container and send em down here for me to dispose of correctly, I'll pick up the shipping.:p

18. That's a 51 Buick......this is a 53 with different style portholes and more.

[​IMG]

Here's a 51 model Roadmaster with 4 portholes. Lesser models like
    Special had only 3.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this is a 52....

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  19. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

And an intro would be nice (top of the General Discussion page).
    Scotty.

20. Rem

Rem

The chassis looks '33-'34-ish, although the rear appears modified - or could it be a truck chassis? And I haven't noticed the slight recess for the steering box mount on passenger/commercials before?

21. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The truck is most likely a 32. The dash will tell the story. I doubt that it came on that frame. It was hot rodded sometime in the late 60s with that M/cyl. It was probably set on that frame to keep it off the ground in the junk yard. The steering column must be cut in two. Steering wheel at the dash but no box in the frame.

Chevrolet came out with the knee action front end in 1934 on their master series model. The standards kept the straight axle at least up through 1938. I'm not certain when it was eliminated. 1940?

22. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you can see the back of the pickup cab in the first shot of the chevy, but I forget what years the shape of the rear bands are

23. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

That is a sedan and not the truck.

24. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

[QUOTE#2 ???

[​IMG]
    [/QUOTE]

How 'bout a pic of the back of the cab? That will decide 32 or 33/34...

25. locb

locb
    from eastern CT

Number 3 is a 1931 ford slant windshield fordor. You can tell by the slanted windshield posts and the hinge placement. It may be a town sedan, as it has cowl light holes in the cowl. These bodies were mostly steel, unlike the earlier fordors, so they keep their alignment pretty good.

26. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

You CAN see the back of the pickup in the first picture. Far right hand side. Not a 32. It's a 33-34.

27. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

You're right. I see it now. 33/34.

28. The truck is a 34, as only 34's had the third rib!

Kool stuff.

29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Yes I didn't see that at first. The 3rd belt molding makes it a 34. The 33 only had 2 moldings below the window like the Deuce. Some one did a nice job of cutting out the firewall without ruining the cowl.

30. I hope you pick a few to build and give some others a chance to be built.<o></o>

I know most on here know of old tin somebody has sat on for years and years “I’ll do it up some day”. You have enough to keep and build by selling some to fund the others.<o></o>
    <o></o>
    My personal gripe was knowing a farmer with some old stuff, I would drop in once or twice a year- no that’s my retirement project – he died and next time I dropped in, the farm house, cool store, apple trees and all the funkin cars were pushed into a big heap to turn the property in a new estate.:mad: <o></o>