Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How long did your build take?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by autoworx1, May 1, 2010.

1. Spidercoupe

Spidercoupe
    from Bevier, MO

took me 4 yrs on my 33 ford. it had been in a shed for 29 yrs. been 5 years on my wifes 51 ford not quite done yet. I try to work on a project about 2 hrs a day and 8 on sat. take sun off. I dont think tou ever get them done

2. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

I truly think that this is key. We don't have cable/dish/whatever either. Just a 13" tv that we'll occasionally watch a movie on. So many people I know spend so much of their lives plugged into that idiot box. They're constantly talking about some show they saw or asking if I've seen such-and-such program yet... Nope, I'm out in the garage. Now if I could just cut the cord on this damn computer!:D:cool:

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dumb kid, actually...just liked hot rods. No kiddin' that I should've bought every roadster I could find! I remember being about 10 in the late '60s...would always grab the classifieds from my dad's Sunday paper to look at the hot rods for sale. Lot's of em...1/2 page. '32 Fords for $1500 - $3000. "Yup, gonna get one when I'm older." By the time I was 18 in 1975, they were 10 times that much. Aaaaaand...I was screwin' around too much. Aaaaand... I was distracted by the muscle-cars for a while too, as so many others were. Stupid muscle-cars. LOL.

I know you could do it too, Bird! Just about ready to start, though...finally. It's like a vengeance thing now. One benefit of taking this long...I've had decades to school myself on the process, and decide on my preferences. I've got a couple of unique additions of my own too. Better get 'er in gear though! - Rick

4. sledish

sledish

1 year for the most part, but I keep changing things or improving things so it never ends !

5. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

i have had the car six years now but really only been working on it 3 years. a month after i got it my wife found out she was pregnant and i was working 6 days a week. so i really never touched for the first three years! [​IMG]

6. ratster

ratster

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, I SMELL SMOKE...lookin' good though!

8. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

thanks man i appreciate it!!

9. 29AV8

29AV8

well you know it would be alot faster if money was not an object.
    been working on my 29 rpu for about 5 years. but I am restoring it all original.

10. cavistyle

cavistyle
    from baltimore

almost 2 years..

11. before and after pics. 15 months. Don't usually work that quick. And it was in a 19x19 foot garage.

Attached Files:

12. Wildfire

Wildfire

almost 5 years and still going... Been driving it for a year now.

13. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

It's so comforting to see that there others that last multiple years too. I thought maybe I was the only one out there that struggled to get from the rolling chassis stage to the maiden voyage. I'm still blown away by some of your builds that are done from nothing to something in a matter of months. It shows how you guys burn the midnight oil to have a car built so fast!!

I started with a wood rotted Chevy and Cadillac 390 that ended up as good a boat anchor before I dumped a lot of money into it. I then had my second son in the middle of the build and took him for his first ride with mommy today! Life is good!!

14. melsfine39

melsfine39

OK! It took me 5 years to make a stocker into a streetrod. I might add I did all the work myself except the paint, which I did help as a good friend did the paint!. All of this except paint was done in a 1 car garage, check out my build at www.melswell.com to see what I did. Mel:D YES!!!!! that is A.J. FOYT standing by MY car!!! in the second photo!!!!!

Attached Files:

15. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I pulled my '50 sedan deliver out of a field and in 6 months was driving it. It's not finished by any means but I'm having fun with it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2010
  16. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

I bought my 40 in 1967 and it's still not finished.

17. Started on the 1929 AA Ford stakebed in June 1974. Moved twice, went through seven job changes, a divorce, marriage, remodeling, adoption, building a new house and now I'm getting back to the hotrod. It's never rolled under its own power, but in four years, when I've finally retired, my dream is to drive it to and from work on the last day.

18. Dave@theshore

Dave@theshore

Depends, 2 kinds of people; Process oriented & Goal orientated. Everybody is one or the other & thats fine.

19. Greezy

Greezy

My 40 took me 2 years almost to the day.

20. I made it easy, we live in the garage as well! Computer is 10 feet from the main bay. leave it on and pop in as go back and forth. :D

21. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

literally years! but I am at least driving it now! going to have some fun with it for a while and drive a work in progress, work on some mechanicals and get the stance dialed in.

22. autoworx1

autoworx1
    from kansas

This is one of the best post ever! I love it! Maybe I like it so much because it's the truth.

23. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

Hey man, I'm on about 11 months now too. I have driven mine already but it is a long way from done. But I keep it where I can drive it now and I am doing little projects to it, but put it back to drivable condition at the end of each one. I like
    driving it!!!!

No headlights, no taillights, no brake lights, no seat belts, no windshield, no grill, no rear of the body.... I drive it anyway. lol