Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dammit, got laid off.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29NashRod, Apr 30, 2010.

1. 29NashRod

29NashRod
    from Portland

I'm sure nobody cares, but I've got to vent. I moved from Salt Lake to LA for a job that started three weeks ago, and got the notice today that they were laying off everybody that they just hired. What the fuck!?! Now I've got to move all my shit back to Salt Lake. What a pain in the ass. And it puts my projects even further behind.

Thanks for the rant. Back to hot rods.

2. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Sorry to hear the bad news.

I can kind of relate. Work is very slow at the shop I'm at (have been at for almost 10 years). Tuesday the owner told me he was moving me to one of his other shops that is always v-e-r-y slow to try to help them out. I can't help but think when there isn't enough work there for everyone the 'new guy' (me) is going to be the first to go.

At times like this I NEED my projects to take my mind off how crappy other things can be at times.

Best of luck to you in your job hunt.
    Things will get better.

Jay

3. synthsis

synthsis

if you can swing it, live off the ol' gub'ment for a while. Unemployment pays well, at least here in NJ. check out my site (in my sig) and you'll see how I spend my time. I just crossed over the 5 month mark of being out of work.

4. blt2go

blt2go

very sorry to hear of your situation. wishing you better days.

5. johnnykck

johnnykck

What The F**C? That sucks! Did they ask you to move out there for the job or did you move out there on your own. If they asked you to move out and hired you knowing you were moving just for the job I would get a lawyer. Hope things work out for you!

6. Hal_396

Hal_396

That just plain sucks. McDonnell Douglas in Long Beach use to be famous for crap like that. Your doing the right by moving back to SLC.

7. DIXON

DIXON

Sorry to hear the bad news! Maybe there's something better out there that is meant to be...

8. 1950Effie

1950Effie
    from no where

Rat basturds....That just sucks on all levels! I'd become a politician. They get all the money and no guilt!

9. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

I'll chime in.....I got the axe last week after 7 years...not that I didn't see it coming after 5 quarters of working part time.....only problem now is my good unemployment claim ran out the same week I got dropped....the new claim it insufficient to pay mortgage and bills and the economy is still sliding here in Eugene plus I'm sixty....nobody'll hire an old fart and I'm a year and a quqrter from social security and a reverse mortgage.....hang on gonna be a rough ride.....anybody looking for old dodges.....I got 2 for sale....

10. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Hang in there Dude... I got laid off in December '08, back to work March '09. I stressed the whole time. Enjoy the free time while you have it...

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My wife is getting laid off where she has worked for the past 13 or so years. She has a year and four months before she can draw social security and already draws a 300 a month pension from the previous owners of the same plant who she worked for the first ten years she was there. It seems that since money has been tight people aren't going out for burgers and fries as much and she works where they make the fries. We will survive and she is going to see what they offer as training for the next few months.

12. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

I feel ya..
    Ive been off for 25 months. Yes, 25 months.
    So I started a parttime driving gig at the local Autozone since Im out of UC.
    Then the first week at AZ, I got called to interview at a steel mill.

Interviewed monday morning, got called to go take drug test monday afternoon.
    Called me tuesday to go take physical wed., called thursday to come for orientation today.
    Start there tuesday morning....!!:D

So I worked 3 days this week at AZ, and start the mill tuesday.

Gonna keep a few hours a week at AZ just to stay on their payroll incase mill lays off down the line.

Been a long time coming...

Best of luck to you folks who are in the midst of it...

13. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Hell im 19 and just got put on disability for any job that requires me to lift more than 50 lbs.

Fuckin knee.

Just gotta make it through college

14. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

Try this one:
    I get told we have no work about 5 weeks ago.. right around the same time this gal who is friendly with the boss quits her job because she doesn't want to move with her company from Ca to Mi...
    Come to find out that right after I get dropped she gets MY fucking job, boss only hired her because he thinks she's going to suck his dick some day.. meanwhile her husbands company just moved from Ca to the east coast so he's commuting back & forth at weekends....

Really looking forward to the fallout from this clusterfuck...

& on top of all that crap... I'm in the middle of a loan mod/refi trying to save my damn house...

Edit:
    oh good, he reads this board. just got what I can only assume was a drunken email from him...this is going to be fun.. :)

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  15. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

I can relate. I'm an Auto teacher had my classes cut in half and will be laid off this summer. I try to use my cars as well to keep my mind occupied, I do as much as I can do that doesn't cost anything.

16. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

I worked for a robotics company north of Detroit for 14 years and was laid of because of an economic downturn. Since I was the highest paid guy I got the axe. Jan 2009 still un employeed. I never missed work and called in twice in 14 years. I wish I was union.

17. wood470

wood470

Work for yourself. Then nobody can lay you off. If you have time to fix and build cars then you got time to make money. Dont expect theGov to take care of you be the boss and figure out how to make some money. I haven't had a real job since 1975 but I raised three kids lotsa animals and always had a nice roof over our heads by doin what it takes. Dont just sit around and mop till the unemployment checks run out.

18. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

Did you read the first post?

19. I've been out of work since Jan 09. Nothing going on here unless I want a $7.00 an hour job with no benefits.

20. Been laid off 6 times in 20 years, (3 times in the last 6). Yup, globally it's slim pickings. Landed a new job after getting notice at the end of Jan this year. Was a surprise.... and didn't miss a beat in the change-over to the current job. Still tough out there (in sales) but at least it's an income. All I can say is network for all you are worth, worked for me!
    Best of luck and good fortune, I am sure something will come your way!

Last edited: May 1, 2010
  21. Remember my friend... tomorrow is always another day.

North Dakota... weirdly enough, has jobs out the ass...

Just start building cars and live life the way you want.

By the time the end of the world comes you will be glad you did.

22. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

Damn Marty that blows!

And dude i'm 20, and can't even get a job at a burger joint here in rural Indiana, I been out of work for 3 years now :( i'm just striping stuff, and taking it all one day at a time.

1shot

23. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

remember all this when november comes & it's time to vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. Just a note... the more you are willing to work, the more work you will get. Bad situations happen and people lose there jobs without any reason, be it hard work or not... BUT for the younger generation ( of which I am at 24) you better fucking bust ass or be left behind.

The only reason my car is a month away from being back running is because I worked hard at work and then went to my shop and busted my ass.

If the juice is worth the squeeze...

Some times hard luck happens to good people.

Sometimes (like the people that apply to work for me) people just dont wanna work.

The cool thing that about the HAMB is (IMO) we are people that here are willing to work and work hard for what we want.

I hope everyone looking for a job finds one and and I hope everyone that had a Job keeps it.

25. 29NashRod

29NashRod
    from Portland

Wow, thanks everyone for the good thoughts. I'm glad to be in such good company!

26. PhilOO

PhilOO

Hey man I am jealous of your car, van, bike & kitchen. That's all awesome stuff you got there. Why work to buy new shit when you can have stuff like that! Keep up the NOT working as long as possible :)

27. sorry to hear this, will keep you and everyone else looking for work in my prayers! Keep your head up, put your skills to work.

Take Care.

28. SlmLrd

SlmLrd
    from DAGO

Either go out and CATCH fish, or wait around like the majority of these clowns and wait for a fish to jump in your boat. The only time I haven't been able to find work is when I didn't want to work.

This is America, there is ALWAYS a way!

29. Truckedup

Truckedup

I lost every job i ever had.....Worked big union construction,get laid off at the end of the job,sign the book at the hall,wait for another job.Usually got a job call right away,sometimes not.Early retirement now and do some side jobs.
    Some mention fucking off on unemployment,that's just wrong cause you can be looking for work situations rather than drinking and smoking joints.You make your own luck and good jobs rarely just fall out of the sky.Always be asking,always be looking,non't make yourself crazy,just be aware.As a skilled tradesman I found there's always someone that needs something done on their house or business.If there's no future where you live you might have to go where the work is.
    And I am not suggesting you work and collect unemployment,that's a crime:D

30. Ob1

Ob1

Yup!

8 years ago as my wife gestated our second child, I got to watch my boss smoke the business in a crack pipe. 2 weeks after birth, the business closed.

After various experiences with the business world, I decided I couldnt possibly do worse on my own. I was right. When your kite is tied to someone else's string, dont be surprised if the string gets yanked or cut.

As far as them letting you go 3 weeks after a move, I would HAVE TO have a face to face with employer to find out WTF they were thinking.