Register now to get rid of these ads!

Halibrand Wheels Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordrat31, Apr 25, 2010.

1. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

I was at a swap meet a few weeks ago and came up apon a set of older mag wheels. The guy had a sign on them "Hailbrands $1700". I stopped and look just becasue I was curious, not really interested in buying. As I was looking over the wheels I noticed there was no cast "Halibrand" lettering or part number. I asked the guy if they were real Halibrand wheels and he said yes. I then asked why they had no Halibrand casting marks. He wasnt able to answer my question. So my question to the HAMB community is, did all Halibrand wheels come with a cast "Halibrand" in them or at least a part number of some sort?

Mike

2. indygasser

indygasser

i don't know i do know that my fentons say that there fentons!

3. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Just curious, was this down at the Round-Up in Texas? I am looking for a rear pair of Halibrands, saw the sign, however; just as you indicated the rims had no markings....

4. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

No sorry this was Englishtown in NJ.

5. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Most Halibrand wheels had the marking on the face of the rim. This was OK for racers but most rodders didn't care for the tag so alot of the rims have had the tag sanded off when the wheels were polished over the years. That is probably what happened to his rims.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Pictures would of answered all questions ,Let it go .as stated before The pre 58 were marked .As time passed they could of been polished off........

7. fordrat31

fordrat31
    from Palmer, MA

I was just curious for future reference. Not trying to offend anyone.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

All my gennie Halibrands have the logo on the front.

9. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

My vintage magnesium Halibrands do not have any markings that say Halibrand. I know the new aluminum Halibrands have the name cast into the front.

10. alchemy

alchemy

The early magnesium Halibrand wheels had a nametag/part number that was made from a tin tape nailed to the master. Made for a small and easily removed obstruction to the polisher. The later aluminum wheels had the name embossed inward, and cannot be sanded off.

I'd bet if the wheels were magnesium and looked just like a Halibrand, they probably were. Repros made of mag didn't happen until recently.

11. Just curious, who's making repros in magnesium?????

12. alchemy

alchemy

Real Rodders Wheels, Vintage Engineering, and I think the guys SoCal used to buy from made mag wheels too.

13. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

a company named denver made magnesium wheels the same time as halibrand. most were solid no hole ones and the backside has at least 2 more ribs per wheel. they are almost identical to the halibrands. mike

14. alchemy

alchemy

I've never heard of Denver wheels.

Are you thinking of Ken's? They look just like smoothie Halibrands, except they have a couple extra ribs. But Ken's are aluminum.

15. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

denver indeed did make sprint car wheels in the very late 40s and early 50s they also made midget wheels12x4 12x5 and 5 1/2. it almost sounds like you are supposed to know everything but you do not. mike

16. alchemy

alchemy

Well, I am supposed to know everything, but alas I don't. Thanks for educating me about Denver Wheels. In almost 30 years of collecting Halibrand stuff I have never heard of them.

17. RICKY MCGREGOR

RICKY MCGREGOR
    from wichita ks

I have them on four of my cars and all have halibrand on them.

18. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Do the Denver wheels have any tags on them?

19. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

the denver wheels are not marked like the halibrands they are magnesium and not like the kens made wheels they do have at least 2 ribs possibly more on the backside than the halibrands.the only ones i have seen are the solid sprint car type and the midget wheels 12 in ALCHEMY IALSO COLLECT HALIBRAND STRADLE MOUNT AND MODEL A QUICKCHANGES ALONG WITH PREWAR QUICKCHANGES THAT WERE RUN IN MIDGETS.that i started in 1976