Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I Can Fabricate Fairly Well . . . but I envy the guys with Sheetmetal skills!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bored&Stroked, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Yah know . . . just spent the better part of Sunday completing a set of early Hemi motor mounts for my 34 coupe. When I was done, I really liked the work -just made me happy to see my "metal sculpture" results . . . felt good. I realize that over the last few years, that I've grown comfortable making just about any frame piece, suspension setup, custom mount, bracket, hairpins, etc.. -- it is all just "clay" in my hands. I'm not afraid to make dang near anything . . . to create what I see in my head, out of steel.

Completed Mounts:

View attachment 960211

BUT - I am totally envious every time I see somebody take a piece of raw sheet metal and form a fender, build a body panel, etc.. I see the sculptures created by great coach builders and I hope that some day I can acquire those skills as well. I don't fear it . . . just hope that I have time to learn that part of the hotrod building spectrum. I keep thinking about how many tools I'll need to head down this path --> English wheel?, Power Hammer, Shrinker, Stretcher . . . the list in my head goes on.

Someday boys . . . if I live long enough, I'll learn to shape sheet metal . . . until then, I guess I'll just continue to be in awe and keep dreaming of the day I'll start this journey.

To those of you with the skills -- I totally respect the time and work that it took you to learn them . . . I salute you for your accomplishments.

So much to learn . . . and so little time :rolleyes:

2. Hmmm . . . picture didn't show . . . here is today's accomplishment:

Updated3 copy.jpg

3. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Nice mounts. Check out MetalMeet.com

4. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I'd bet you're closer than you think.

5. Yeah, i'm betting on you making a great sheet metal worker. The mounts are fantastic. Not often you can say that amount something as simple as a mount.

6. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

Before you dive into buying expensive metalshaping equipment, let me suggest a few things...

First, do some research on what you want to learn. There are literally TONS of videos on youtube each with various ways of acheiving the same result. There are tons of build threads and tech threads on the HAMB that really show you how to do something or show you a simpler method of doing what you've been doing the hard way. There really is alot of talent here. That link I sent you to "Metal Meet" is another good source of information, and there are others on the web. There are also alot of books that have alot of good information, but for me, watching it happen on video, or having an in-depth explanation on the internet is easier, more like you're there in person.

Second, use what you have laying around. Apply what you have watched or read up on, and give it a go. There are alot of ways to make the same piece with simple hand tools that a big fancy expensive machine will do...it's actually quite amazing. Remember, these machines and equipment came AFTER the hand methods of shaping. You'd be surprised what a dull chisel and a ball peen hammer can create with a piece of sheetmetal. Same goes for a tree stump and a baseball bat, or some scrap metal and an idea for a tool.

Third, be patient. Shaping metal is not for the lazy or unwilling to fail. You will fail, over and over again, but you will learn from your mistakes and you will eventually hone a skill that few on this earth posess. You can purchase and make your own equipment while you learn the different techniques, and find out what kind of equipment you would need and find out what you dont need. I've seen far too many english wheels and planishing hammers collecting dust because the owner did not want to invest the TIME it takes to learn how to use the tool. The possibilities are unlimited, give it a go and good luck!

7. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

great looking motor mounts! there are only a few things that you can do with a piece of sheet metal. you can cut it, weld it, stretch it, and shrink it and i`ll bet you already know how to do at least three of the four. that is a paraphrase of something that ron covell said in a sheet metal forming class that i took several years ago. take advantage of the sources that are available, metalmeet.com is one that`s at the top of my list.

8. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Take a sheet metal class.... Priceless

9. jhnarial

jhnarial
    from MISSOURI

You don't need a a ton of tools to shape some metal.

I hate when someone says I'm going to start as soon as I buy a pulmax.
    That's bullsh--.

I'm not saying that is what you are saying but I have heard it a lot.

I will help you with some of the basics but it will cost you. If I give you advice on how do something you owe a picture thread of your attempt.

I do have to warn you this is a very addictive hobby and it is not for the weak hearted.

10. Appreciate all the replies . . . helps me keep the perspective and want to expand my skills in this area (sooner than later). As noted - one doesn't need all the heavy-duty 'production' tools that we'd all love to have, but can't afford to own for personal work.

I'm always looking to get better -- thanks for the encouragement!

11. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Start with a few basic hand tools like a couple of blocking hammers, some snips, a slapper and a bag. Don't but anything in a " KIT " these kits usually contain marginally useful " tools " and maybe one or two necessary ones! Most of the necessary hand tools can be made by you from cheap material.
    " Real" english wheels, Yoder power hammers, CP planishing hammers, Pull Maxes and kick shrinkers all are big money these days, and take up a large "footprint" in your shop. Their isn't anything these pieces of equipment can do that you can't do with basic hand tools, they only produce results quicker.

'' Do not reach greedily for the Kool-Aid ''

12. Thrillbilly

Thrillbilly
    from Joplin,MO

In the beginning power tools will only let you make mistakes faster !

13. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

14. smiffy6four

smiffy6four

Thanks for the links, I just signed up for allmetalshaping Cool site!:)

15. Gleeser

Gleeser
    from Taylor, MO

I see you're in the midwest somewhere. I live in Northeast MO. PM me sometime, I'd be happy to show you some sheetmetal stuff or put you in touch with someone close to you who'd do the same. (most likely)

Definitely join www.allmetalshaping.com

16. Thanks a bunch! I've been around body and paint for years -- used to paint custom and show cars out West, have done basic body work for years, just not sheet metal fabrication. Also, I have a TIG welder, have a good air compressor and plenty of tools -- just need to truly understand the basics of metal forming, stretching, shrinking, panel welding, panel straightening, etc.. Once I know more about the basics, it just becomes practice, practice, practice . . . like any other good hotrod skill.

I'll get in touch with you later on this summer - maybe you can steer me the right direction!

17. If you can find one. Vocational schools have them at nights once in a while. I was lucky to start tin bending in 8th grade. I later got deep into it with a tool & die course I took. Eventually I was programming Weideman and Amada presses and methodizing 2nd operation brake work.

Pick up some basic books to learn flat pattern layout, bend allowance (or bend deduction, which still drives me crazy), and basic formulas for bend radii with respect to material thicknesses.

You don't have to have that many tools and make friends with someone that owns a sheet metal shop.

Bob

18. todd_a

todd_a
    from Tyler, TX

Really fun stuff!!!!!!! But it will take you away from building cars while you hone skills practicing on stuff.

I'm just a step ahead of you it appears - I just started trying to learn how to shape metal.

Here is all you need to get started: An old Bat and a "stump" or something wood with a bowl shaped cavity in it - I used a piece of 2x6.
    [​IMG]

This is where that "bowl" project is at at this point. Not finished, but I had to take abreak to do some work on the hot rod....
    [​IMG]

19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Great job on the mounts they look sweet!

20. ZRX61

ZRX61
    from The AV

There's always the $$$ route with Lazze or Tinmantech..

21. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

22. Racewriter

Racewriter

I'd recommend any of Ron Covell's videos. Bought his English Wheel video at his booth at the GNRS, watched it, and now I'm forming panels for my stock car on my small $80 Harbor Freight wheel. Not show car worthy yet, but definitely good enough for this application!

23. rustyhood

rustyhood

You would be amazed at what equipment you already have in your garage.
    If you have a work bench: you have a metal brake. The edges and corners are very handy in forming metal. The vise works great for short bends and shaping.
    Square tubing is great for recessing and braking metal. Its really awesome to have someone think you bought a part you made by hand. Keep at it, your mounts look store bought. Good job!

24. Hey Gang: Thanks for all the encouragement -- I like all the input, ideas and positive attitudes. It was this same type of thinking and desire that got me started on heavy-duty fabrication and TIG welding --> if another man can do it, you can.

25. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Great info here!

26. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

heres my practice . i didnt do much sheet metal shaping befor this. hammerd out a few gas tanks when i was 15 but thats it. go for it, it's addicting and a lot of fun.

[​IMG]

27. Yeah I love that handmade coupe. Those motor mounts kick ass dude!