Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

What was great is how the cars were hand made. These were some of my favorites, Van Horn, Hager and Schnieder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

This is not too good, but it is the start of a 1970's or so Eastern States race at OCFS

[​IMG]

3. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

Lastly, if this car exists I'd buy it. I would like to create a replica if anyone has parts let me know. My favorite, Flyin Freddie.

[​IMG]

4. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

Thanks everyone, keep it coming.
    Agreed, Iwould like to keep as much of teh profile as possible.

The body can be moved forward if we sacrifice the cowl, the body can't be moved down, it's sitting on the cage, and my helmet will be less than 1 inch from the roof in it's current location.

Yes we are wanting to matche the hood to the cowl, speaking of teh hood , any guesses as to the origin of this hood(hint, it's not from the (formerly) big 3.

5. BKHRS

BKHRS

6. I'll stay away from Frankies Sausage Bar, sounds like The Tool Belt or Blue Oyster (police academy) lol

7. Johnnyone

Johnnyone

You did a beautiful job on that body.

8. JChimbolo

JChimbolo
    from Madison CT

My dad and I used to meet my uncle and cousin at OCFS on saturday nights. They had great food there and the crowd was great. We used to walk over to the sausage bar after the race and the thing I remember most was not being able to hear too well.

Skip in the 64 told a story, I can't recall if it was him or someone else, that the car had a big wreck and went out of the track. Disoriented, he knew he was out of the track because he saw the lighted Frankies Sausage bar sign.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  9. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

To be used as body work for a dirt modified is the highest use to which a PT Cruiser can aspire.

Very well executed.

:D

10. [​IMG]
    Ken Wismer
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kevin Keilor

11. [​IMG]
    Don Moon
    [​IMG]
    Ken Bouchard
    [​IMG]
    Kevin Keilor

12. Hank61

Hank61
    from Upstate NY

Kenny Tremont Jr.

Attached Files:

13. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Gee Pete, I had you all wrong. :D

14. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

Well we played around with the body last night, moved forward 9 inches, and started playing with some cardboard for the sides and hood.

BTW the PT body looks great, but our sanctioning body is formal with "no bodies newer than 1972"

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  15. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

Late 30's Chevy body?

I could be wrong, but that looks more like a 1941, 42 &/or 48 Chevy coupe body to me.

I think that there have been a couple of pictures of modifieds with that body on here.

16. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

You could be right, I was told by the previous owner who parked it in the field in 1954 that is was a 38 or 39, but... time goes by

17. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

It's definitely not any older than 1939. 37-38 Chevy coupes looked much different. It's either a 39 or 40. IMO I don't see how you're going to use that chassis and make the car look decent with that body. If it were me, I'd build a chassis to fit the body and not the other way around. Just sayin'...

18. Johnnyone

Johnnyone

I think that looks cool, Also i think its a 39 chev body.

19. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Langhorne
    [​IMG]
    Lamghorne

20. [​IMG]
    Don Howe
    [​IMG]
    Bob Krollage
    [​IMG]

21. [​IMG]
    Lanphear
    [​IMG]
    Lancaster yearbook 1970
    [​IMG]

22. Race Artist

Race Artist

That sits alot better in my opinion. The tape marking the cut line on the deck looks good too ... don't make it too short so that the car looks like just a roof though. :) I'd cut out the cowl ... cowls just don't go with tube chassis era cars ... As long as I'm puttin' in my two cents ... keep the hood narrow and blunt with no nosepiece. Just a shaker screen out there with a couple of chains hanging on it to shake the dirt off.

But of course ... it's your car and build it to your taste! ;-)
    Joel

23. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The rare never turned into a gasser...Willy race car! lol

24. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

Please keep the suggestions coming.

As for the cowl, yes we will have to remove it, with the body moved forward, the peak of the cowl is in the air cleaner.

Starting with a fresh frame was a thought, but since our goal is to be on the track this season(we have a very healthy vintage club here in Québec,but to date only 2 modifieds, we are going to improve that) we could not do that, Plus the price of the rolling chassis including engine, trans spares and safety items(seat, tank, belts) was less the the price of the wheels alone.

Yes we want to keep the hood short and simple, and I love the idea of the shaker screen.

Thanks everyone, and keep on suggesting please(many minds are better than 1).

25. BKHRS

BKHRS

[

[​IMG]
    The rare never turned into a gasser...Willy race car! lol[/QUOTE]

Uhmm, its a 39 or 40 Ford

26. just read the pic description, thats all lol

27. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Tax season is finally over and I am learning how to use the new printer/scanner in conjunction with photobucket. 1st attempt.

Here is a picture I promised: Charlie J running to an apparent 100 lap victory on three tires. What a show, you can see the sparks flying even though it was a black and white photo. As Ken Shou pointed out a while back in the thread Greg Sacks was officially awarded the victory after Charlie originally received the checkered flag and the hardware.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

28. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Bill Park in the #20, Charlie Jarzombek in the white coupe and Art Tappen in the #14

[​IMG]

Tommy Kulesa in the I and Charlie J in the #1

[​IMG]

Charlie J up in smoke while leading one of the All Star 300's at Islip

[​IMG]

Charlie J at Pocono with Leo Cleary, Ron Bouchard and Dick Clark

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.