Register now to get rid of these ads!

cleaning wide whites

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconsprint63, Apr 25, 2010.

1. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

anybody got any suggestions on cleaning wide whites? my uncle asked me yesterday how to mix the bleach solution to clean the whites and I was stumped--I've never had them on a finished car so I don't really know where to start other than a tire brush:)

Suggestions? they're not grubby, he just wants to make his 42 vert as perty as he can before we head to knoxville this week.

2. Dogfacesmitty

Dogfacesmitty

I've always used Simple Green and a terrycloth towel with good results. However, some of my buddies said just last night that they are using a product called "oil eater". I'm not sure if that's a brand name or not.

3. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Bleach white sold at any autoparts store works killer.

4. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

[​IMG]
    But I also run stock wheels, I've heard of this product dicoloring aluminum rims.

5. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Bleach will cause cracking due to drying out the rubber.I use the stuff coker sell,its bleach free and brings out a killer white wall.

6. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

simple green at a scotch brite pad or those sponges with an abrasive side for dishes, but carefull wife or girlfriend will get pissed

7. I've used Bleche-Wite with good results in the past, but that was with over the counter thin whitewalls & shaved whitewalls.

Bleche-Wite ruined my Coker Classic radial wide whites. There is checking & cracks in the whitewall. They're only about 3 or 4 years old, but they look like crap if you get close enough. Of course they haven't seen a garage in at least 2 years. Always exposed to the elements, since this is my daily driver. I still think it was the Bleche-Wite. I use Simple Green & a Scotchbrite pad/sponge now.

8. I get that Mean Green liquid spray cleaner at a Dollar General Store,
    a brillo pad, and a scrub brush. Between them you can usually get
    the tire nice and clean. I have on past occasions used one of those
    whitewall brushes with wire bristles, but usually not necessary.

You can also use other similar spray cleaners like Simple Green, and a
    host of others. They're not as harsh as the Westleys bleche white.

And if you spray the cleaner on the black part of the tire, let it sit
    for a minute or two, then scrub it with the brush, it makes that look
    nice too.

[​IMG]

9. ARTSWRK

ARTSWRK

Ajax or Commit with a scrub brush works great!

10. I've been using Fantastic and it looks like I'm getting some cracking of the white walls on my Coker bias plys. 'Looks like they're drying out and they're only a few years old. I'm going to try out the Coker stuff as was suggested.

11. Coker tells you NOT to use bleach products. I use spray degreaser from the dollar store that works just fine. Back in the day Brillo/SOS always worked.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  12. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Back in olden days I washed more wide hites than I care to remember. This was back when wash jobs were by hand, and the cars were detailed inside and out as a matter of course. We even gave a discount on the wash job if the customer got an oil change and lube job along with it. To this day I hate to wash cars by hand, but that's just me.:mad:

Getting to the question, we always used a sort of very thick soupy mixture of water and regular Tide clothes washing detergent or another, similar brand along with a brass tire brush and larger bristle brush. Didn't hurt the white walls, and with a little elbow grease they passed some pretty strict inspections. :D Because if the didn't I would just get to re-wash them until they did.

SAFT

13. Larjk9

Larjk9

Another vote for Simple Green. I spray it on and use one of those Magic Erasers for tough spots. The tires come out as white as can be.

14. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Mr. Clean Magic Erasers

[​IMG]

15. 63FalconFutura

63FalconFutura
    from Socal

comet and a scrub brush i use them on my whites makes them look very clean

16. tiredford

tiredford
    from Mo.

x2..........this and water works great.

17. Model A Speedster

Model A Speedster

Comet, Ajax, (or the like), a scrub brush, and a healthy dose of elbow grease. If not satisfied, repeat with more elbow grease.

18. fish-vw

fish-vw
    from arizona

SOS pads work great

19. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Spray 9, spray it on and power wash it off, whiter whites and blacker blacks.

20. I have Coker wide whites, and the Mr Clean magic eraser works really well for me.

21. i just use "white wall cleaner" from vintage ford :D

22. snowmann

snowmann
    from Sabin MN

I have diamondback ww and they recommend castrol super clean, thats all I have used for the last year and they look great with no cracking.

23. Mercchev

Mercchev

x2!

24. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

thanks guys--got distracted making last minute repairs and modifications (read interior intsallation) before the show and didn't get back to check up. will pass your suggestions along.

25. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I loves me some Bleche White! 15 years, no cracks yet!

26. Just yesterday I had on older black gentleman tell me that the best way to clean wide whitewalls is to rub them with an old red brick. He swore it worked better than anything. I will give it a try sometime.

27. Eight433

Eight433

+1 for comet and a scrub brush.

Everything is better with pictures.
    [​IMG]

28. Eight433

Eight433

Hopefully he's not one of those old men who tell younger guys stupid things just to see if they'll ACTUALLY do it. :eek:

I've come across a couple guys like that, haha.

29. Brillo pads and water if they still make them.

30. Labold

Labold

Bricks work really good at getting swirl marks out of paint too. Try it :D