Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy steel wheels WTF?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by falconsprint63, Apr 24, 2010.

1. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

here's my bitch--curious if it's just me having this problem.

just changed springs in the front of my delivery and dramatically impacted ride height and cause the wheels to start scrubbing. the cheapest and easiest solution seemed to be going from the mag wheels to a standard offset chevy steel wheel with the old standby caddy sombreros.

three weeks now I've been looking. been to every yard within 30 miles and have my pops looking in his neck of the woods and these things are near impossible to find. WTF did we really crush all of our rollers for weight!

2 down, 2 to go--looks stupid with caps up front and mags out back.

2. rebstew187

rebstew187

I been looking for a set too. Only place that has them around here is Hickmans and they take in alot of derby cars. The last 6 I bought were bent from I guess the derby. They are getting harder and harder to find.

3. Ghastly

Ghastly
    from DETROIT,MI

You might have to move to a 90's square body chevy S-10. They have 15" steel wheels for the spare.

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Its divine powers telling you to put Ford running gear in it...........
    (JK)

Doc.

5. I find more chevy rally style wheels, but I think full caps will fit on them fine too.

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

i cant find 15s anywhere.

7. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

So are you looking for original steel wheels.I have some from my 48 stylemaster.There 16inch.Or are you looking for a new style steel wheel thats 6 lug to fit your car.....I know what will work and I have them.i will get more info in a sec My bad looking for 5 lug try chev`s of the 40`s or summit.I went to 3 junk yards to get my steel wheels--two of them said dont bother we send them all to the scrap yard....the other had plenty...$22 for chrome ones,got all 4 (scene them used on ebay for $75 ...so i did well)

Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  8. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

Doc, you made me laugh--especially since at hear I"m a ford man. this delivery came unbelievable close to having a 460 in it before I found the cad. rear end and subframe were inwhen I bought it so....

as for the rally wheels, had a set on originally--in case anyone's wondering, the caddy caps won't stick to them--slung a couple before I called it a lost cause--thanks for the suggestion though.

the 2 I found are actually pontiac rally II's. and the caps seem to fit ok

9. They are getting scarce......

Craigslist: WTB
    Craigslist: will trade steels for mags+cash

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I suggest getting in touch with Wheelkid here on the HAMB. He builds NEW wheels ( yes 15's also ) with the wheel pattern you need, in the width you want and with a offset you need to help clear the fenders. Best of all he is a Alliance member and his NEW wheels are not expensive .

Go here

http://www.rallyamerica.com/62-64series.html

11. 53floored

53floored
    from kansas

those things are all over down here I had 2 and went to 2 yards and got what I wanted in 15x8 versions Im running em on my 53 f100

12. I agree they are a pain to find, 15 inch in 5x5. i've been looking because i dont want to take the one set i have off my 71 cad for my 47 truck.

13. Master of None

Master of None

Luckily where I'm at the big GM pattern steel wheels are plentiful. The hard ones to find are the 5 by 4 n3/4. I think a friend of mine has a full set of 15's for sale at his shop. PM me if your interested. He runs a Pontiac big car parts business, and is always getting stuff in.

14. 40hemicpe

40hemicpe
    from anaheim.ca

i might sell or trade two original 49-54 steel wheels.need more positive offest steelie.

15. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

I got a set of 15x7's GM pattern off a G body olds cuttles, mid 80's.

16. AAFD

AAFD
    from US of A

They are like weeds around here.

17. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

should have clarified. 5 x 4.75. I actually found 5 x 5 but that won't do much good with the late model rear end and camaro sub.

Hank and master, I think I've located a set here--finally, if not, I may be in touch. Hate to have to ship them half way across the country though.

18. concreteman

concreteman

10-4
    GREAT WHEELS

[​IMG]