Register now to get rid of these ads!

So long New Jersey....HELLO Texas!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by xxwelderxx, Apr 24, 2010.

1. So, my wife and I are moving to Texas. We are leaving NJ on May 30th. As much as I will miss the NJ car scene, I am looking forward more to having my dollar go a bit further...meaning it won't all be going to taxes and living in NJ.

Ill have a two car garage to work on my car in and I hope to have it completed by at least the next Lone Star Round-Up.

List of things to do in Texas:

find a place to:
    chop my roof
    rebuild my 259 Dodge Poly

Yup thats all I have on my mind. Build my car and thats it.

See ya guys and gals soon.

2. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

You sir, are a lucky man. Which part of TX?? I was born and raised in the Abilene area. Get ready to have an overwhelming sense of Texas pride and that feeling like someone hit your kid when you hear anyone badmouth that great state!!

Cheers & Good luck,
    Brian

3. Ill be in the McKinney area. I know it snows up here, but I sure people down there didnt have 4-5 foot drifts in their yards.

4. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

McKinney?! Oh well then you won't have any trouble finding something to do or having someone do something for you. You'll have a blast. You'll just be wondering what took you so long to get down there!;):D

5. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

I lived in McKinney for about a year. Its a great area that Im sure you will enjoy.

Welcome!

6. My in-laws live down there already. Last time I visited I said to my wife "Why dont we live here?"

7. aaggie

aaggie

You will enjoy Texas and the car scene is certainly equal to or better than anything you could have had in Jersey. Every Saturday night the Nifty Fifties car club has a get together at the Kroger parking lot and there is usually between 250-500 cars show up. Most of the Sonic drive ins do something similar once a month.

The local drag strip is rated in the top three in the whole country and hosts the NHRA national event. Houston Raceway Park in similar to Indy where they have roundy round, drag racing and all of the other venues in one place.

There are good engine builders and machine shops and prices are reasonable.

You won't find any Reingold beer but the BBQ and local food will put pounds on you quick. You will get used to the heat, it rains a lot during the early Spring and an occaisional Hurricane will have you talking to God.

I live in Houston and there are a lot of HAMBers scattered around the state. Austin is nice too but full of tree hugging Liberals, nice bars and clubs along 6TH street though.

Anyway, welcome....

8. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

is it the bad rep we get form tv? haha

good luck. wish i could make a move too i cant stand the rain anymore.

9. Anderson

Anderson

Welcome! Excellent decision.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just don't get offended when you get called a "Yankee" all the time until you get your Texas accent.

I'm married to a Texan and lived there for 8 years before we moved back up here.

11. pricejap

pricejap

We moved down here 5 years ago from nebraska. This past winter is the most snow we have recived since we moved. I think it was around 6 or 7 inches. I love it down here. This past Lone Star Round Up was my first. See you at the one next year.

12. pricejap

pricejap

I did notice anyone north of the red river is a "yankee".

13. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Welcome To TX! The heat sucks but you do get accustom to it after a few years. Loads of fun stuff to do

14. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

you are upgrading. I have had some friends from New Jersey that moved here and love it.

15. sonim38

sonim38

yes!!! we finally got him out of jersey!!!

=]

16. mpot

mpot

I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as fast as I could! That was 40+ years ago and I wouldn't go back to the snow country for anything. Welcome to the South. (It generally snows once a year here in Abilene but it melts before the sun rises again.)

17. Welcome to Texas. I have lived here all my life (so far). The wife came from Jersey so we accept all kinds.

Lots of good rodding opportunities in the area. You will fit right in!

18. 51fleetline

51fleetline

Welcome to Texas brother !!

19. X2, Moved here from Ohio in 1976, could noy believe it was 76* in Feb!!!!

20. welcome to Texas....and hurry up and get that car running.....

21. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Damn it! The place is already overrun with Yankees and Texan wanta- bees. Just promise me you won't buy a cowboy hat and boots until you've been there a while........, and remember, them shiny belt buckles are for drugstore and rodeo types. :mad:

Just kidd'n you pard. :D It's a great place to live, except for Dallas and Houston, of course. Panther City is nice, and so are Crazy Woman Wells, and Sam Bass' ol home town. McKinney is just too far east for my taste, but at least it's still in Texas. :cool:

SAFU

22. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

I guess we will be neighbors. You will love this area. Summers are hot but, I can help you cool off. Welcome from Fairview.
    Robert

23. Long term plans for wife and I in Texas.

Buy house with lots of land. Build a dirt oval track with white fence.
    Never buy cowboy boots or cowboy hat.

Oh yeah....have some kids.

24. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Cool man, good luck! Maybe we'll see ya down there for the Roundup!

25. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

Great plans. When I lived down there I swore to never buy boots or a hat also. Now, I have my grandfathers hat since he passed and when I think of cowboy boots I remember wearing my dads boots that were covered in jet fuel and would probably go up like a powder keg if too close to an open flame. Now I miss seeing all the cowboy hats, boots, the smell of jet fuel, and all those girls with that good "southern drawl".

The stars at night.......are big and bright.......:D

26. Until the folks in Trenton get a handle on spending more folks will be leaving New Jersey. Seems like ya' finally have a governor with some balls to do something about it.

27. borndead327

borndead327

Shit man anyone north of Waco is a Yankee

28. Wecome to Texas. I moved here 33 years ago from Minnesota and I'm still amazed at how easy the winters are here by comparison. I live in the middle of the State and we only get 1-2 inches of snow every three or four years. Give away your parkas, you won't need them here and without them you'll be less tempted to visit Jersey in the winter. All that you're going to need is a light Spring coat on the coldest days. Of course that is also a dead giveaway that you're from the cold country. The car scene here is great, you'll find whatever you enjoy. When you move here just remember that you're in Texas first and the United States second. I highly recommend a trip to San Antonio to visit the Alamo. The sense of history and pride you'll feel there will give you a strong sense of what it means to be a Texan at the core.

29. Yeah Im sick of the winters here in the northeast. I would like to just be able to throw a sweatshirt in the trunk for "just incase".

Im just really excited to be able to drive my car year round and not have to worry about salt on the roads.

30. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

Welcome to Texas. When you get settled in and ready to tear into that 259, come see me. We're just a bit south of mckinney on 75. I'll help you out on machine work as a welcoming gift.