Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was your first car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 36 Airstream, Apr 24, 2010.

1. 36 Airstream

36 Airstream

Hi all,
    I thought it might be interesting to hear what your first car was and do you still have it or know of it's where abouts?

My first car was a 1956 (AUS) Plymouth belvedere that my father and I restored when I was 16.I still have the car in the shed. (although it has'nt been driven in about 6 years)

Look forward to reading your posts.
    36 Airstream

Attached Files:

2. Onelow34

Onelow34

1954 Chevy pick em up truck. Just sold it.

3. Mathew21

Mathew21

My first car was a 1967 Ford Fairlane in 1987. I was the third owner. I sold it back to the original owner's son.

4. 61falcon

61falcon

77 cutlass, rocket 350 4bbl and a 1x8 plank for a rear bumper.

5. 36 Airstream

36 Airstream

That must be one lucky lad. Cars carry history, especially when kept in a family.

6. 56ih

56ih

1991 Daihatsu Rocky. Car is still around, got over 450,000 miles on it!

Not exactly HAMB friendly, but some fellas is lucky and some fellas ain't...

My first classic was/is '63 Comet. Waaaaay better

7. Well, I have always been into pre '64 tin. But when I moved overseas at 12 years old I could not get anything old. four years ago I got my first car. It was the oldest American car I could find here. A 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS. I am currently swapping in all old technology including a carbed 350 so I don't have to tinker with the modern fuel injection. Ya it isn't a traditional hot rod but you can bet your ass when I move back in June my first car over there wiull be pre '64.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  8. 1930 Model A Ford sedan , my second car was a 1940 ford sedan

9. Domn8r

Domn8r
    from Helena, MO

1957 Fairlane 2 door

10. prost34

prost34

<----------look in my avatar,i built it when i was 13,drove it to school,high school senior pic with her class of 1994,still own her today,,:)

11. The Hitch Hiker

The Hitch Hiker

1986 MkII VW Golf. 1.6L EZ engine, Aftermarket weber carb, highflow (okay, rusty!) exaust, tide marks on door cards once the doors filled with rain...

All factory options of course!

Not exactly HAMB material but it worked(ish)

12. madmak95

madmak95

1965 chevy step side that me and my dad restore when i was 13. danm little sister hit a pine tree with it and wrecked it. she was ok luckly.

13. If you want about 300 answers to this question, go here...

Your First Car?

14. I think that there is already a long thread on this subject a month or so ago.But my first was 56 Ford Fairlane 2dr.I am surprised that I never bought another one,as I really loved that car.First one I ever bought all by myself without my dad's help was a 67 Fairlane 390/4speed.Now that car I REALLY loved and have had 8 Fairlanes since then including one with a 427 tunnelport.

15. FastAndLoose

FastAndLoose
    from Warren, PA

1975 Jeep CJ5, bought it in boxes @ 14, rebuilt the i-6, 3 spd, t-case, and axles, built the back half of the body from scratch. Got it together and finished just in time to sell it, and add that money to all my lawn mowing cash and buy a much nicer 1989 Jeep Wrangler for my 16th birthday in 1992.

Sold the '75 to my english teacher, still see it around now... that thing was a mess. He sold it after about a year to some other guy. Hard to believe it's still together 20 years after a 14 year old kid put it together.

16. custom53

custom53

61 ford falcon. i traded it for a mustang. a few years later i was looking for another one and found one in the local newspaper. i went to look at it and it was my old falcon, i bought it back. i still have most of it.

17. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

When we got it from Grandpa right after WWII when he decided to have a sale because he didn't drive anymore. It was like new, had only 19k miles on it. Then my brothers and I proceeded to drive into the ground.

We repainted it tu-tone blue with a brush, made of "China Hair". Shined great and you couldn't tell it was done with a brush. Those brushes cost 5 bucks then, more than all of the paint did.

mom with our 29 1949.jpg

We put Buick steelies with 600 bias tires and fender skirts we made from old signs. The signs might be worth big bucks to a collector now. Anyhow, taking the skirts off to fix flats was a chore so at some point they got left off, never got time to put them back on.

We drove it hard and put it away wet for years, wide open in second gear on country dirt roads and over sagebrush pastures hunting rabbits. When the water boiled out (a thousand times) we would follow what we had been taught; shut her down to cool and then add water and go again. It was, to put it simply, just plain abused. We mounted a big wooden box on the back to carry rabbits we shot, ran over sagebrush to the point the front cross member was all busted. One of the items fixed when it was restored; a new front cross member!

I drove that car probably 20 thousand miles in the late '40s into the '50s when I joined the Air Force in '55. Then my brother took it over. When, about 1977, my brother and I couldn't come to terms on how to restore it, I wanted to drive it whilst working on it, he wanted to do a frame off; To make peace I traded my half to him for a jeep truck.

We restored it '90 to '95. I say ‘we‘ because I helped a little, but my brothers Carl, the current custodian, and Bud(RIP) did the bulk of it. It currently resides at my brother's house. I can't get him to hop up the banger though.

Now, I feel that my brother was right, of course, to restore it. That was done in '95. He is still the custodian.

Our '29 after new Lacquer in 1995.jpg

That said, if it was up to me, I would 'rod it, now that's it's been reborn. Being born-again as a hot rod wouldn't be a bad thing, because anytime in the future anybody wanted to, they could restore it .........again................

18. Jack Luther

Jack Luther

Bottle green 1954 Chevrolet Bel Air 4-door sedan. 235" with powerglide and factory power steering. Paid $150.00 for it in 1974, and it was a pretty nice old car. Wish I still had it.

19. catbox

catbox

1982 S-15 truck

20. Pauly Von G

Pauly Von G

1980 ... I was 17 ... I picked strawberries and saved my money to get a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 318/Auto ... got it from a doctor who's wife used it to drive to the Country Club everyday so she could drink Gin and play cards with the other doctors' wives. She would "feel" her way home with it ... it was beat up bad! I must have used two gallons of body filler on that car. Wound up running it off in a deep culvert in the summer of 1982. Pulled the 318/Auto for my brother's truck and sold the body for scrap.

21. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

My Avetat, 65 Plymouth Satellite , Bought when I was 18 for $500 still have it today

22. Ironswims

Ironswims
    from Illinois

'61 Chevy Brookwood wagon. Family hand me down. 6 cylinder, 3 on the tree.

23. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

I can do this several ways! The first one I ever owned was a 55 Chevy truck, still have it 18 years later, or something like that. Never driven it! First thing I ever drove was a family heirloom 1983 Buick Skylark. First one that was totally my own and on the street was my Grandpa's 79 Chevy truck, still have it also although its in more pieces then the 55 at the moment....

24. Stovebolt Boy

Stovebolt Boy

my 1950´s Styleline 4Door ... bought it as i just turned 18 .... still got em and don´t wanna change that :D
    [​IMG]

25. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Mine was a 1992 Pontiac Catalina with a 389 & 6 pack . Was a great cruiser and would really get up and go too !
    I traded some record albums and a mini bike for it .
    Those were the days !

Retro Jim

26. Rudy J

Rudy J
    1. Austin HAMB'ers

My first car was a 55 Chevy when I was 16 years old - Im gonna call my dad right now and thank him for that!

27. 4x4fordkid

4x4fordkid

My first car was a 1989 ford ranger! Pretty cool eh? I wish I could say my second vehicle was my first, my '64 ford f250 4x4. I've still got, but just broke it a couple of weeks ago. Now it is my best looking lawn ornament. It sits where my '61 uinbody used to.

28. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Awesome, Mr. Nash!

29. fraso

fraso

My first car was a 1965 Barracuda, which I still have.