Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bringing a car into the US from Canada - then shipping it OS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rat bastad, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Hey guy got a qun....

Im interested in a buying a ride just over the border in Canada - but it will have to come into the US to be shipped from LA to Australia.

The buyer is located in Aust.

Unless the seller can help me by helping to ship it from Canada, it will have to happen this way.

Can anyone see any issues with this for a buyer from overseas?

Rat

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010

2. HA HA Ha :D I thought you ment bringing a car from Calif to the USA. I was going to say there are probably a lot of fellas on here that are probably going to get a little bent. :eek:

What province of Canada? We got fellas all over up there that may be willing to help you out.

3. If I buy this hehe....but Im diggin it and keen.

Its in Ontario not far from the US border.

What Im really wonderin is...can it be brought into the States, then shipped out again?

Rat

4. Sure, why couldn't it?

I think you have to have good paperwork to get it across the border. Maybe Pistnbroke (sp) has a better idea I think he ships to the states all the time.

5. About to krash....bump !!

Thanx PB.

BTT.......

Rat

6. Can anyone advise with experience ?

Rat

7. Fenders

Fenders

That is called a transshipment, or trans-shipping.

2. To ship to one country, and then to re-export to another. (Sometimes the second exporting country may be incorrectly represented as the country of origin.) <!Trade>
    </LEFT>
    But I guess this doesn't help.............

8. Maybe send the guy who sells stuff from Mexico a PM, he does it somehow.

9. HEEEELLLLPPPPPP!!!!!

Anyone ever done this ?

Rat

10. 55olds88

55olds88

hey rat, who are you shipping ex L.A. with ? they should be able to give you the best advise, I'm working on a motorhome ex Canada at the moment for a client and he will be delivering it to L.A, from what I gather you may be able to get something on the border to serve as proof of it legally crossing into US and being o.k. lein wise from CA customs. They tell me in L.A. it can be done easly enough but they haven't told me how yet.

11. tinmann

tinmann

Do you ever intend to "take delivery" or are you just middle-maning this thing? Just my opinion, but if you expect guys to jump in to help..... and this is a strictly profit deal.... they might ask, "what's in it for me?".

12. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

When I was driving truck, mixed in with regular freight, I occasionly hauled a car two from Toronto to Miami for transhipment to the Caribbean. If the car is immediatly leaving the U.S after entering from Canada and is only entering the U.S in order to tranship it to a third -country destination , you can put the car in bond and avoid having to deal with U.S customs twice - ie - first when the car enters the U.S - and again when leaving. Normally to import a Canadian car into the U.S,. you need to show U.S Customs a document from Canada Customs showing that they have cleared the car for export - ie - that car is not stolen or wanted in a police criminal investgation - and that there are no leins against it. - and that you have a signed bill of sale to show how much you paid for it and that you legally purchased the car from the legitimate owner. Then, it's the same deal all over again with U.S Customs, getting them to clear the car for export from the U.S . But if the car enters the U.S in bond, you won't need the additional U.S Customs paperwork to export the car from the U.S. Your best bet to arrange putting the car in bond is to deal with a Customs broker and have therm arrainge the paperwork.

Mart3406
    ========================================

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  13. Thanx for the input guys ....

FYI I've been told that I won't be able to to this as Canuck cars are not titled like they are in the US.

Or Mart, if the car is brought in from Canada, does it then receive a title in the US to enable it to be shipped out of the country ?

Mart you have a PM.

Rat

14. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

--------------------------------
    Yeah, cars in Canada don't have titles. The only paperwork here
    is the registration or ownership slip from the province the car
    was licenced in. I know a lot of people buy cars in Canada and
    bring them into the U.S. so I know it can be done. I'm not sure
    how they go about getting a U.S title though. That was one of
    the reasons I suggested importing the car into the U.S in bond.
    That way you don't need to deal with titling or registering the
    car in the U.S. - paperwork that U.S Customs would normally
    require you have before they would clear the car for export
    from the U.S. - as techicaly, the car is not actualy being
    imported into the U.S. but merely passing through, on it's
    way to it's final O.S. destination.

Mart3406

P.S. If you want, PM me with your phone number, so we can talk.
    I'm in Ontario, not too far from the border. Maybe I can help out
    a bit from this end.
    ===========================================

15. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Frank

duecemerchant has sent stuff here - he might be able to help answer you questions

did you sell the wagon?

16. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I just shipped a car to Melbourne, it went from Canada to Aus. direct. If you ship it through the USA you have to go through a broker and post a bond indicating it will not be sold in the USA. Also Canadian ownership papers papers are good as gold as compared to some states that dont have anything for antique cars. Hope this helps. Larry

17. cdansie

cdansie

My 5W Coupe came from Ottawa to Australia via LA.

This is the guy who took it into the US for me. He got it to Phoenix and then arranged for it to go to LA - all went very smoothly
    Wayne Rowe
    Rowbec Holdings Ltd.
    P-613-836-2997
    F-613-836-3205

Chris

18. austinsailor

austinsailor

I brought a 1951 Fargo pickup from Manitoba to Missouri last month. An important thing you've left out is the age of the vehicle. If it's over a certain age, and I don't know the exact age, there are no problems at all to bring it to the US. 1951 is no problem. Call customs and they'll tell you. They prefer that you call them 2 days in advance at the location you will bring it across so that they can do the research to check on emissions and safety requirements. It's not required, but if it doesn't meet the requirements for the year it was built you can come across, but your vehicle can't. And, you might end up sitting there for an extended period of time while the checks are done. I was lucky, it took me less than 20 minutes from driving up to driving away.

In my case I'd already gotten an answer from the Missouri Department of Revenue, and they allowed me to register it with a bill of sale from the Canadian seller and the customs documents showing I'd brought it in. Customs was as helpful as could be, and stamped my bill of sale "OK to import, license and title". In 7 calendar days, I had a title in hand.

If you bring it in and register it in your name, you should be in the same shape as if you'd owned it for years, or just bought it from a guy down the street. The real open item, though, is age. Are you able to import it at all?

19. Nekronomicon

Nekronomicon

That would be sled, send him a PM Frank. Nice guy

20. Make sure your docs (bill of sale)say "For Export Only" That way you won't have to pay any tax in Canada

21. sled

sled

Necronomikon,thanks for the kind words..actually Human Fly already PM'd me and i passed the email adress of the Rock,the aussie guy who bought the 60 caddy from me...i send it over to Laredo TX,and he sent someone to pick it up from there and send it to WA state..but i lost track after that...im sure Human Fly is already in touch with Rick,my customer and they probably fuond a solution,wich at this point i ignore....

let us know how it worked out...from my side (Mexico) to USA all went smooth and fine....sled

22. ThePuck

ThePuck
    from Ottawa

Ship the car directly from Canada. It will travel through the states in bond, and US customs will not have to get involved.

23. ahmen

24. 55olds88

55olds88

I have an agent in Vancouver and toronto who could load it direct to aussie if you wanted, way more expensive then sharing a 3 pack from L.A is the only other problem...

25. Thanx to all for their input guys....

FTI, the guy selling the car turned out to be err, shall we say, less than accomodating to an Aussie buyer.

Shame, b/c this thing was real sano...a real nice ride.

Thanx to all again for the heads up.

Rat