Register now to get rid of these ads!

fathers don't forget your daughter in that build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by larry woods, Apr 23, 2010.

1. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

as i look over the father & son projects i need to warn all you hambers not to forget your daughter. take it from an old timer it will be a mistake you will regret. at the time of my divorce i offered to help my son rebuild an increbibly solid mid 30 international pickup. at 14, he wasn't the least bit interested so it was left to rot down. recently i related the story to my dtr and told her i asked the wrong kid! at 35 next week and an RN in the albany ny area she is much more auto savy than my son 39, and has helped with the 32 build. i will be visiting her this next week and i expect she will get her hands dirty as i tune the modelA sedan. so take a bit of advice from an old fart and let your daughter join in.

2. As a father to a 5 year old girl, I look forward to the day she gets to help me out. Although I'm not looking forward to finding one of her barbies somewhere in the engine bay. :)

3. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I all ready have a 29 RPU cab in the basement for a father daughter project.She'll be 3 in a couple weeks. She calls it Evy's hot rod and likes to sit in it and make vroom vroom noises with daddy.

4. My daughter fell in love with a 64 Ford Falcon; since the price was reasonable I bought it for her. She helped me rebuild the brakes and get the car serviced and drove that car to high school every day. She loved that she had the only unique car in the senior parking lot then and she still loves to drive the car today.:)

5. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

I take the grandsons to the garage they are board in a couple of minutes...The granddaughters are memeroized by the parts and projects..The last comment was Wow grandpa ,look at all the neat stuff...

6. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

When each of my kids turned 16,,I helped each of them do there first car..The daughters was not as fast as the brothers ( a 1960 Sunbeam roadster)The boys got a fake 64 Thunderbolt Fairlane and a 69 Mustang.. But she worked as long and as hard as the boys...

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

well, we only have one child, and she has been involved (in her own way) in alot of the "creating" i do.
    She has layed claim to my 53 chevy moredoor..so she felt it only right to keep her eyes pealed for Dad's Hot Rod.
    She found a 28 Model A Tudor 2-1/2 years ago and its in the process of being built at this time.

shes great with organising tools, and with being a go-for girl..i find as she gets older i dont have her to help me much because she is involved in more and more school stuff and outside activities, so i cherish the time she works with me

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  8. spinalremains

spinalremains

my 7yo daughter cant wait to be able to help me out. Daddys little girl, wants to be involved with anything i'm doing. My 4yo daughter on the other hand, wants nothing to do with it.But, i wont leave her out when the time comes.

9. silversink

silversink

especialtly when you open the hood to show the guys.

10. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Comparing age to age, girls have a longer attention span AND better eye hand coordination then boys not to mention for the most part they are more patient and understanding when it comes to long build times.

Teach them when they are young and those skills will last a lifetime. No calling Dad up at 2am when they have a flat tire or need a jumpstart.;)

11. charger

charger
    from manitoba

here`s my daughter a year ago helping me out on the f100, my son is only a year and a half, he just likes hiding my tools!

Attached Files:

12. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

My two year old daughter loves to hang out in the garage with me and hand me tools as I am working. She ruined so many of her cloths out there that we found her some bib overalls with pink stiching to wear when she is working. When she sees the overalls come out she cant contain herself she gets so excited.

13. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

My 12 yo daughter is out most weekends with me working on HER 37 GMC truck.

14. As an old guy with no children, I am moved by these comments, keep up the good work.

15. CAL

CAL
    from Neosho Mo.

Huh, everyone posting talking about their "little" girls. Mine was like my shadow, followed me everywhere, always in the middle of everything I did. Then she turned into a teenager , and does not have alot of free time for Dad. Enjoy it while you can....

16. BinderRod

BinderRod

Here are a few pictures of my daughter welding and her car. She was 16 at the time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I have a grand daughter to have fun with.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. 41woodie

41woodie

She's never built a car but when she was still around the house I always asked her for help rather then mess with my two sons. By the time they stopped whining about having to do something my daughter and I could have it done. It pays dividends in the long run, when she was in a sorority in college one of the other girls had a flat in the parking lot, of about 90-100 girls my daughter was the one who knew how to change it and that included her boyfriend/now husband who had no idea.

18. nutajunka

nutajunka

A few of my girl's loved being around and helping when ever possible, but when they learned about boys the car's and trucks took second place.

19. My son and daughter both have always been interested in my old cars. They helped out since they were little guys. My daughter took auto shops at school and had the best marks in class and brought the neatest cars to shop to work on. She is going to be 36 this summer and still likes cars. I gave her my T tub in 2007 and she drives the wheels off it. I was out on the coast a couple of weeks ago and I showed her how to pull the rear end center section so she could get the gear set changed. She does most of the work on the car herself. She has loved the T since she was 6 and now owns it. I built a 51 ford coupe for my son that I gave him in the 90's. Kept both the kids out of trouble growing up. Pat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Frenchy32

Frenchy32
    from arizona

Here is my Grand Daughter helping Papa. Jacqueline loves to help at anything I do.

Frenchy

Attached Files:

21. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

22. fbama73

fbama73

My Chevy is actually my 2010 father's day gift. Munchkin wants to help out all along the way. The day we brought it home, I caught her and my wife chanting "We got Daddy a hot rod" several times. She wants to be involved all through the build, and has been involved so far. We got the clutch fixed a couple of weeks ago, and when we were done I told her "Get in." We snuck a little drive around the block, and she thought it was the coolest thing ever. She wants to learn to weld, too. Prolly start her on the squirt gun.

[​IMG]

23. bobjob55

bobjob55

MY 17 year old has laid to my '63 chevy carryall that i've owned for 25 years .. my 16 year old isn't sure what she wants ( figures ) ... my wife and 14 year old son wants my 48 dodge .. i'm 56 now .... guess i better get busy .. need a lot more cash to get them done ..
    WHAT WILL I DRIVE ?????

24. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

My 22 year old daughter and I re-manufactured an 2001 Sabaru Froester last winter. She has always wanted one, And now she know how they are put together.
    My brothers the previous owner was quoted $5000 by a dealer to fix all that was wrong with it. He gave it to her for free on the promise that she do the work on the car.We spent a couple of months of free time and about $1200 in parts.
    For my part the experience was priceless and I know who to give the Falcon to someday when I'm to old to drive it.

25. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

We have four daughters, none of which are the least bit interested in getting their hands dirty. My seven year old grandaughter on the other hand was "bending metal" with me when I was rebuilding the core support on the Galaxie ragtop. She has her own welding helmet and has put down some beads on scrap metal! :D She will probably be 16 by the time that I am done! The car can go to her someday.

26. fleet_47

fleet_47
    from N/A

Girls can lay down the best beads. It comes natural. Imagine trying to put on eye make-up... they do it while driving and texting all at the same time!

27. 6mopar7

6mopar7

You guys are so blessed, take this from a guy who has no kids. You are their heros, enjoy all the moments you have. Have someone take photos of you & them working on stuff, it will mean tons in the years ahead.

A great thread. Real men love their kids!

John

28. Hawaiianstyle

Hawaiianstyle

I have four daughters, i am always trying to get them involved. The older two fight with eachother over who gets to ride shotgun :)

29. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Here is my offspring (oh by the way she is only in 7th grade!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here is a tip don't let her hang out with your greezer buddies at Hotrodarama!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  30. dodgewade

dodgewade
    from North AL

I too had a couple of girls, the oldest now 33 and the youngest 31. Youngest was the best. oldest would be crazy if she got her hands dirty. Love both of them.

Currently have a 9 year old step son and 13 year old step daughter. I think my step daughter will be the best IF she don't get bit by boy fever first.