Register now to get rid of these ads!

well im gonna be off here for a bit.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dynaflash_8, Apr 20, 2010.

1. I don't either. Or a tv. If my internet is cut off, I'm out of touch with the world.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more important point. As Hitchhiker suggested, he is in-fact living with his folks, (he's only 19) and I was sure to ask him if somebody there is aware he's sick, and keeping an eye on him. He assured me that his mom is right there with him. I had him promise me that he'd go get checked tomorrow, and he said he would.

3. Waiting another day isn't always the best idea.

My friends son hit his head snowboarding..he felt bad enough to take a break, stayed at the house with friends for the day. Head hurt alot. He said I'll go to the doctor if it still hurts tomorrow.

He was alive the next day, but collapsed, his friends took him to the hospital, but it was too late. His brain swelled so much it killed him. He was young too, about the same age.

Not that it will happen to Marty, but not that it won't either. That high of fever isn't even "normal" for the average illness. There could be something serious going on, like an infection that could take over if not treated in a timely manner.

4. If he is too dumb to go to the hospital, call 911, they have to check it out.
    Some things I just don't understand.

5. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

hey fellas, i really appreciate the concern. Woke up at 4am with a fever of 104 again. Got up and took a cold bath - which sucks, but got it down to 101. Took a couple tylonal, and hit the hay again. Fever has been around 102 all day, which still sucks, but is alot better than 104.5. I started feelin shitty on sunday, when i got a bad headach. I woke up on monday with a killer headach, and a slight temp. By that night it was back up to 104.7. Tuesday was about the same, but the headach went away. Today is much better, and hopefully im on the up and up. If my fever relapses again like it has been, im goin straight to the family doc.

Best i can figure is that i got into somthing when i was helping my brother clean the mouse nest from his headliner, seeing that he has the same symptoms.

Rickeybop, i really appreciate your call, sorry that i wasnt feeling better to talk longer. Ill be sure to give you a ring when im 100% again.

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek: You Dumb Ass, get your self to a doctor. Now that we know the causative agent it dictates that this is more serious than first thought. Mouse feces and urine that covers mouse nests carries some bad infections, some are fatal if not treated. How do you know that you dont have a potentially lethal illness?
    I base my view on 16 years of working in medicine, first line treating teams for this kind of thing. This is the kind of thing that kills so many people after disasters, infection untreated.
    Go.
    Go NOW.

<<< See, Royal Australian Army Medical Corpse, my corps so you know I am not just making this shit up.

Doc.

7. Crey

Crey
    from Tejas

Yeah, you're dead if you don't go to the ER, broe.
    That's guaranteed.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

dont play hard ass with this shit..get, put on your boots and get to the ER or doctor, before your on boot hill.

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Just because your young doesnt mean your invincible .Go to the Hospital If not for you your brothers sake ,If you did get sick from the nest ,Even if you get better some weird diseases could stem from it ,I know I use to work in a scrapyard and many years later I caught an autoimmune disease and was paralyzed from the neck down .After a month in the hospital and years of therapy ,Im back at 99.9 percent ,with only a little nerve damage in my left leg ,So please go to the Er ,You dont want things creeping up on you later.......John

10. or dain bramage

They used to pack ice in my crotch and armpits when I was running a fever like that. But back then they were still trying to find a cure for Polio.

11. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Get yourself to the ER asap!

12. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys watch your mouths. Are you truly concerned with Marty's welfare, or more interested in sounding "smart"? If he did die, do you want the last thing you said to or about him to be that he's a "dumbass", or that he's "gauranteed to die"? No need for it.

Now...When Marty and I spoke on the phone last night, he didn't tell me he had been exposed to mouse feces dust, or the fact that his brother was also exposed and has the same symptoms. In light of this information, the situation is of course, potentially more serious than initially anticipated. If Marty and his brother have indeed contracted the Hantavirus, then it's imperative that they be treated ASAP...could be fatal. It's noon here in Michigan, and 9:00AM in Washington where Marty lives. I've tried calling twice, but apparently, his phone is turned off. I will try a couple of more times over the next hour or so. If I'm not able to contact him, more drastic measures may be in order. Somebody mentioned calling 911 to have them check out the situation. I hesitate to intrude so aggressively, but in this case, an exception may be necessary. I hope they'd be able to locate him with only his phone-number. I may have to contact the moderators...I think they may have his address.

13. H3O

H3O

i wouldn't let my car run at 250
    why would you make you body run at 104.7? that's high enough to kill brain cells and do brain damage. got to the er.

14. spinalremains

spinalremains

Hope your feelin better. Gotta take care of yourself

15. Chance it

Chance it

Can the moderators/a friend figure out a way to reach his mother (last name)? Maybe get a land line in case he is using a cell phone#? 19 year old guys will hold out going to a doctor to the bitter end. Mothers on the other hand will know what it takes to get him out-the-door....I mean both of them have the same symptoms????

16. Beau

Beau

I never knew this virus existed.

I hope you two feel better.

17. shane2290

shane2290
    from toronto

i cant be the only one wondering whats going on???? did he go in ? is he ok? updates

18. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Mouse feces and urine is one of the major causes of Hantavirus, that can be very deadly if not treated. Don't try to be Macho like most guys do and get your Ass to the Doctor NOW!

19. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OK guys...finally got through to him on the phone! He told me that he has an appointment with his family doctor today. But I explained the seriousness of the situation, and I and others here insist that he go directly to the ER instead. As with many people, he had never heard of the Hantavirus, and was not at all aware of what he may be up against. I explained that considering that both he and his brother were both exposed to mouse feces/urine dust from inside that headliner, and they both have the same symptoms, that there's a very good chance that the virus has invaded their systems. He was somewhat taken-aback by this information, and promised that both he and his brother would be leaving within the 1/2 hour to go to the ER. This is a fast-acting virus, and is nothing to mess around with. It's absolutely potentially fatal. Once the dust is inhaled, and if the virus takes hold, flu-like symptoms ensue...exactly the symptoms Marty and his brother have...severe headache, high temperature, body-aches, possible nausea, etc. The strange thing is, that after a couple of days, most people begin to feel a little better. But with the Hantavirus, that's bad news...it's the nature of this thing...it only means that the virus is progressing. After another day or two, the symptoms return with a vengeance. Early treatment is imperative. There is effective treatment, but as can be imagined, the longer the virus is allowed to progress unchecked, the less likely that anything can be done to stem the progression, and death can occur. Marty had been taking a fair amount of Tylenol to control the fever, and doing so does help to minimize brain-cell damage, but only masks the symptoms, and does nothing to inhibit the virus. We don't know yet that Marty and his brother have in-fact contracted the Hantavirus...pray that they haven't. He will let me/us know the results of any testing the folks at the hospital perform. With a blood-test, the doctors will be able to determine one way or the other.

Let this be a heads-up to all of us. Working on these old cars has many inherent dangers, and we've gotta be aware and take precautions. Be careful not to stick a bare hand into areas where brown spiders and snakes can be hiding. The venom can cause you to lose a hand or worse. And when tearing out old upholstery, be aware of the dangers spoken of here. In the case of possible harmful insects or spiders, thoroughly spray with insect-killer before entering to kill or at least chase them out. In the case of rodent feces/urine dust, usually present within old upholstery and headliners, be sure to spray the area generously with bleach, and allow to dry. More than one application might be smart...light and heat quickly eliminate the positive effects of bleach. Even after that, use breathing and eye protection, and do all you can to avoid inhaling the dust. Be aware that even with a mask, that the eyes are perfectly capable of ingesting pathogens...use goggles. - Rick

P.S. - I believe that keeping cedar chips and/or mothballs in a car are effective in keeping rodents away in the first place when storing a car for an extended period of time.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  20. spinalremains

spinalremains

thanks for the update. hope all turns out ok!

21. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Man, that REALLY sucks. I hope they're alright...

22. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

Hey fellas, just letting you all know that im heading out to the ER now. I called my doctor, and she said go to the hospital, so thats good enough for me. Chest x-rays, blood draws, and possible hospitalization may lie ahead.

Ill keep you all updated.

23. spinalremains

spinalremains

24. You are absolutely right. I don't want to upset you or him. Let me change my comment to:
    "Gee, I hope you feel better":confused:

25. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Thanks for the update. Take care of yourself guys! please keep us informed on how they're doing.

26. blitz

blitz

as sone a i read this i knew it had to do with mice poop. the only time i have ever had a fever like that was when i was cleaning a gas tank of mouse dump. get help your gonna thank yourself

27. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yikes! :(
    Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

28. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

ok guys im back from the er. They did 3 chest x-rays, drew a bunch of blood, and everything came back clean. They did find a nasty bit of pnumonia in my left lung, and my fever is down to a much better 99.8.

Got some prescriptions for some antibiotics, some steroids, and an inhailer. If it gets any worse, im goin back.

29. Master of None

Master of None

Good to hear you got looked at, NOW GET BACK TO BED AND GET SOME REST!

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's good news Marty, considering what it could've been. Much relieved. How about your brother?