Register now to get rid of these ads!

pitchin' the c-4 for anaod in my shoebox.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Munstergarage, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

ISo I blew the 289 in my '49 ford. I have another fairly healthy 289 to replace it. I figure since I am going through the trouble I'll put in an aod as I am taching 4000 at 70. Anyone got any advice? what year aod do i need to get to be non electric? Can I use the same x member and mount but slide it back in the frame? Also Super Shops has a rasonabledeal on the trans has any one ever usedone of their trans? May be I'll start a new post for the Super Shops question.

2. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I have an '86 AOD in my Ranchero, it is non-electrically controlled...I think that was almost the end of it, though, maybe by the 90's?
    Someone will chime in...

3. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I believe that they are non-electric up through 1994 on most models.

4. cracker head

cracker head

93 was the last year for AOD.

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

You seem to have done quite a bit of the required homework.

Keep in mind that the AOD is substantially larger and heavier than C4; your trans tunnel might or might not need to be massaged.

The C4 will work fine without a kickdown, but the AOD won't. You will need a connection between the throttle and the transmission; Lokar makes a setup that is not too expensive, and works well.

You are correct that the rear mount is the same as the one for the C4.

Good luck; I like the AODs in two of my cars.

6. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

ive only ever swapped AOD's in 60's mustangs but i know you may need to rework your crossmember and driveshaft. gonna be a great improvement though

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I am putting an AOD behind a 289. You will need a new flex plate, I believe, as AOD's are 164 tooth and earlier C4/289 use 157 tooth. That also requires the matching thin metal plate that mounts against the block. The upper block/bellhousing bolt pattern is the same, it's just the starter position that changes with the AOD case.

What is quite important is using the CORRECT flex plate. The earlier 157 tooth units are usually 28 oz. imbalance and most later 164 tooth are 50 oz. imbalance. Since you are using a 289 (as I did) it requires a 164 tooth / 28 oz. flexplate. I got mine from Summit, and the block plate (the tin thing) as well. Also, it is CRITICAL that you adjust the TV (throttle valve) cable correctly from the beginning......if it isn't set properly you can smoke the the tranny very quickly. There are illustrations and instructions for what it takes on the internet. Just do a search.

Ray

8. Munstergarage

Munstergarage
    from Visalia ca

Thanks guys, I never thought of having to mod the trans tunnel, I'll have to invest in a big hammer. :) Ray, thanks for the insight on the tv cable, I have heard horror stories about guys not hooking them up and burnin up the tranny. This will sound very ignorant but I've never had a car with a tv cable in it so I have no idea how they work. Looks like I'll have to call Summit as well.

9. BakerSierra

BakerSierra

So the flexplate needs to be matched to the tranny, not the block? If i was running a '71 block and a '88 aod tranny I would want a '88 flexplate as opposed to a '71??

10. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The flex plate needs to be matched to BOTH the tranny and the crankshaft i.e. the "imbalance" used on different year models. Early SBF use 28 oz imbalance and later use 50 0z imbalance. C-4 use 157 tooth flywheels, AOD 164 tooth. So, when converting from an early C4 equipped engine (28 oz/157 tooth) to a later AOD (50 oz/164 tooth) you have a problem. The solution is a 164 tooth/28 oz flexplate/flywheel.......readily available from a number of sources. You will also need the thin metal "block plate" that fits between the engine and trans as the starter location is outboard on the AOD from the original position on the C4.

Ray

11. BakerSierra

BakerSierra

Would the 164 tooth/28 oz flexplate be available from a local parts house? If so what vehicle would it have come out of?

12. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

They are available from Speedway and Summit for sure, and no doubt others. I read, but have not confirmed, that early 351's with AOD used the 164/28oz flexplates and, if true, should be available thru a parts house. The catalog may indicate those specs. Worth asking about it locally.

13. BakerSierra

BakerSierra

Thanks. I did some looking and it looks like '73-'82 351 and 400 had the 164 tooth/28 oz flexplate

14. Consider the TCI Constant Pressure Valve body for the AOD, it eliminates the need to precise cable adjustment. I've been happy with it. I have one car with a AOD and another with a C4, the AOD is much more practical. The lower 1st gear and higher 4th are fun.

15. Transtar flexplate #99-282

16. I have a 1977 351 Windsor that I will pair up with a 1987 AOD. The flexplate from the engine (which formerly was connected to an FMX) has 164 teeth, but I don't know the weight of the counterbalance. How can you tell the difference? Should I use this flexplate, or get another?