Register now to get rid of these ads!

AOD questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59fordf100, Jan 18, 2010.

1. 59fordf100

59fordf100
    from oroville

i've got a 1967 289 and i just got an 1988 AOD and i want to put them together, but i've been told that i need a different balancer and flex plate. my question is what balancer and flexplate do i need? thanks a lot.

2. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

Take a look at Mustangs Plus' website www.mustangsplus.com I think they have the flexplate you need. My dad and I were going to put an AOD behind an old 28oz 302 and we found a flex plate that had the proper bolt pattern for the AOD converter and also had the correct 28oz. imbalance needed by the early motor. Be sure to hook up the TV cable as well. AOD's will eat thier oun guts quickly if the TV cable is not installed and adjusted correctly.

3. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I have that flexplate out at the shop I'll try and get the part # off of it for you. I just checked mustangs plus and it dosen't look like they carry the conversion flexplate anymore. I'll do some more sniffing around and get back to you. There are a bunch of tranny guys on the HAMB I'm sure one of them will know what the magic bullit for this setup is! The funny thing is were were pretty much trying to do the same setup in the same truck as you.

4. twofosho

twofosho

Original balancer, and 164 tooth flywheel for 28 oz imbalance. All 351s with AOD use it.

As stated, AOD's use a Throttle Valve, not a vacuum modulator, and just like on the GM 200R4 and 700R4, the adjustment is critical. Get it wrong at your peril!

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Contact these guys at 1- (515)597-3304 they can probably hook you up for $45 + shipping part# FP302ESFI.You will keep your 289 balancer, you will need a 28oz flexplate for an AOD.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  6. 59fordf100

59fordf100
    from oroville

thanks guys for all the help, i appreciate it.

7. Kramer

Kramer

Check this site out, they have everything you will need.
    http://www.ford-aod.com/
    I put an late 80's AOD behind my 289 using the original flexplate that was rebalanced with my crank. You can buy the correct one however. Speedway also sells them I believe. I am using lokars throttle valve cable with the carb adapter from the above web site. I have not run the engine/trans yet so can't say how it works, but I do know you have to have it right. It is not a kick down like a c4 or c6. The cable varies the trans pressure with the throttle movement.
    Do a web search on AOD transmissions and read everything you can about them.
    Good luck.

8. BakerSierra

BakerSierra

Does the flexplate that is used change which starter that is required?

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Shouldn't require a starter change............however, the starter does mount outboard from it's original position and therefore requires the thin metal "block plate" that goes between the trans case and block be replaced with one that matches the AOD case starter location.

Ray