Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ford AOD or C4 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blue One, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What can you tell me about Fords AOD trans ?
    Obviously it has overdrive, as the C4 does not.
    Is it a good trans to use ? Is it much larger physically than the C4 ?
    Are there problems that come with trying to use one behind a 351W such as the AOD being computer controlled or such ?
    I know so many questions :)
    Larry.

2. Flatman

Flatman

An AOD isn't computer controlled. It has a .67 overdrive, has the same bell housing pattern as a C4, but is a bigger tranny (both longer and heavier)

Flatman

3. duste01

duste01

alot heavier!!!

4. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

have a build aod in my mustang and with 4.10s the overdrive is great. shifts really hard and holds up well. if built right they will take some abuse

5. George

George

The early 80s, up to '85, Crown Vic Police Interceptors had 351W/AOD & if they'll stand up to the Hiway Patrol use....

6. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

The AODE was computer controlled. Either will work with a 351W, just make sure it's in good shape. The AOD isn't much of a performance trans, the biggest problem is that it locks up in both 3rd and overdrive gears. Overdrive-only wouldn't be bad, but 3rd gear lockup means that it feels nice and squirty in 1rst and 2nd, but then falls off in 3rd and if you are going too fast to kick it down to 2nd, you enter the "AOD dead zone" where you just sit and wait for the acceleration to happen. They do get good mileage, however.

The C4 makes the car noticably faster, light weight internals with no lockup will do that for you. Obviously no overdrive, so not a great freeway trans unless geared for that.

-KK

7. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

be sure to put the larger overdrive band on for sure.

8. To add a bit to Flatman's comments:

The AOD trans is a decent piece, when used within its limitations, and adjusted correctly.

Stock AODs will last behind a stock or very mild 302/351W. They do require mods to survive behind an engine that is making some power. This isn't rocket science, and there are quite a few companies that offer upgrades, depending on what kind of power you are making.

As you may have read, the adjustment of the TV cable is critical, to the point that an incorrect adjustment may cause the trans to burn up clutch packs in a few minutes. This isn't isolated to the AOD, as other brands of OD automatics have the same issue. The procedure is fairly simple, takes no special tools other than a pressure gauge, and can be found on most trans companies' websites. One thing to keep in mind is that it's not just a case of adjusting the cable travel; you need to have the correct "geometry" between the cable and the carburetor throttle arm. The easiest way to do this is with a specific TV cable bracket that fits your carb. Lokar makes these, among other sources, and they are fairly cheap. You may also be able to find a Ford part that will work from a '85-'86 Mustang or other V8 Ford that had a carb & AOD.

Later AODs are stronger than earlier ones; however, note that the AOD eventually became electronically controlled, as the AOD-E, later known as the 4R70W, so be aware of what you buy. :)

9. pie pie

pie pie
    from missouri

ive been told you dont have to set the cable to a certain pressure. as long as you have some pressure on the cable its ok. it when the stock plastic ball end would break and loose all line pressure is when things went bad. ive been driving mine for awhile without setting it with a gauge. its how i adjust my shift points, more pressure= longer shifts. the lokar set up is pretty nice it allows you to fine tune your shift points pretty well. but ive been using mine in a performance application with pretty healthy motor, im happy with it.

10. railroad

railroad

You can buy a non lock-up torque converter for the AOD. I have one, but have not installed it. If the engine does not idle down like a stocker, the trans will lurch while in OD or 3rd if in lock-up, which it will be until you get slow enough. The Mustang GTs have a larger servo piston. I think it has an A on it. I would have to go to the shop to verify the location, but I will try to remember. The C-4 consumes less hp to the wheels, but if you need OD, you need it. While you have the trans out, buy and install an aftermarket hp input shaft. It is the small shaft inside the larger shaft. It is also the one that operates on the lock-up clutch. I do not know if you need it with the non lockup converter. TCI can probably tell you, just do not buy a trans from them.

11. havi

havi

12. 65COMET

65COMET

The AOD can be built to handle over 600HP,but it aint cheap!! I helped instal one in a friends 65 Ranchero with a Kieth Kraft built 427"W,626HP,590lbs torque.No lockup in 3rd,shifts crisp,overdrive is great.The AOD is HUGE,we had to modify the tunnel and modify the headers to clear. ROY

13. BakerSierra

BakerSierra

How much larger is an AOD? Would it require tunnel mods to fit in a '48 to '50 Ford F1?

14. MarkKoch

MarkKoch
    from Maryland

You will spend a lot of money to get a AOD or AODE to shift well And expexct to loos lots of power through them.I would go C4 like stated above there smaller and you dont have to beef them up,def go with 410 gears either way.My pops had a 51 ford w/ a 351 , for the life of me cant remember what automatic he put in there,but it was big.....I can ask him tomorrow ---here its is 1951 ford pick up w/ a 351 windser the trans was out of a 73 galaxie 500 the name of the trans is a FMX an experimental trans that was used just before the C4,he said there was plenty room left for to fit a bigger transmission,my brother actually has the truck now....you can find him under rumrunner he knows his shit and can help ya out a lot

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  15. George

George

TCI has a valve body that takes the critical fine tuning out.

16. shifts

shifts

AOD does not have a lock up.

17. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

uuuhhh..............If we're talking lockup torque converters, I think they do, I've owned several, have one now, and they all had them.......

Ray

18. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

The AOD does not have a lock up clutch in the converter... the smallest shaft to 3rd gear clutch pack engages into a splined hub inside the converter. It is a spring loaded hub. That creates a direct drive setup.

Have a converter built with a special hub inside that the 3rd gear shaft is driven like the other gears and not a direct drive setup. Makes for a better shifting , smoother trans

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ok, perhaps they 'technically' do not have a lock up clutch, but it seems to me that is a 'distinction without a difference'..........the end result is the same.......no converter slippage...........however, duly noted!

Ray

20. Alfster

Alfster

21. tjm73

tjm73

The C4 is simpler, lighter and smaller. The AOD is tough when set up right and the overdrive is great.

Which trans to use is really a question of what it's gonna be used in and how you plan to use it.