Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carburetor body repair?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by creeder, Apr 21, 2010.

1. creeder

creeder
    from Pa

I pulled the Autolite 4100 off my dads Galaxie to rebiuld it. When I tore it apart I found the housing to be cracked in the air cleaner stud hole. Is this something that can be repaired, or is it junk? I thought maybe JB Weld or something similar may work.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  2. Andy

Andy

It only holds the air filter on. If there is enough threads to hold the stud, you are fine. Make sure it will not fall off! I would probably JB Weld a stud in so it is all held together.

3. 52 csb

52 csb

Hi creeder, I would JB weld it ,Drill and tap to size Good Stuff.. 52 csb:)

4. markjenks

markjenks

Threads look about 1/2 below the break.

Throw it back together and run with it. That area doesn't have anything to do with anything important.

5. creeder

creeder
    from Pa

While looking a little closer, I noticed the piece was almost completly off. A little squeeze with my fingers, and it fell right off. Now will the answers be the same with the new situation. As far as threads, it was onlt held in by one turn. So whatever I do I will nee to make some new threads, but that is the least of the problems now. Thanks for all the input.

The boken off piece is laying on the carb in the pic

Attached Files:

6. Andy

Andy

Can you drill and tap the threads deeper. That would be best. What about a strap between the screws on the squirter and other end. Put a stud in it and secure it well.

7. Still wouldn't concern me all that much. JB Weld the broken piece back in place and reinstall the stud (maybe retap the hole after the JB sets up). Another thought just for safety's sake: could you put a piece of small diameter, thin walled steel or aluminum tubing over the threaded boss? Maybe find something slightly larger in diameter and cut a couple of slots in the tubing to slide down over the webs at the side of the threaded boss. That might help hold the reattached piece in place if it should ever come loose again (although my experience with JBW has been very good). Dunno; ..... just thinking out loud here.

8. markjenks

markjenks

Put the rod in it, and jb-weld it all together. Just won't be able to take it back out again.

But does it ever need to come out again? I doubt it.

9. J&JHotrods

J&JHotrods

There is some two part epoxy that is strong enough to drill and tap, but can't remember the name of it. It was sold in a tube and it had the hardener rolled in the middle of it. Pinch off what you need, form/kneed it with fingers and let it set up. Liquid steel? Just had the parts guy refresh my memory-Cargo quick steel is the name. I think versa-chem sells it now.
    Just my $.02

10. creeder

creeder
    from Pa

Thanks guys. Epoxy is drying now.