Register now to get rid of these ads!

Backfires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by br7766, Apr 18, 2010.

1. br7766

br7766

<!-- / icon and title -->
    <!-- message -->I got a rebuilt 318 engine in a 57 desoto firesweep, put in new ignition coil, plugs, wires, resistor, rotor, put in a new distributor (points syle). I reset the timing to #1 piston TDC and set rotor towards #1 one post on the distributor cap, and now it won't even turnover, just backfires.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

2. thadeal4real

thadeal4real
    from FRESNO, CA

probly 180 out was the marks on the bal close to the marks on the cover when you put the dis in?

3. br7766

br7766

No, but I took the dis out and set it TDC.

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I would still pull the dizzy and turn it 180 degrees and try again ! Doesn't hurt to try ! Also double check your firing order when you replaced your plug wires . Anyone can make a mistake with the dizzy or the firing order . Still with you saying it barley turns over means the timing is way out !
    Try it and see what happens !

Retro Jim

5. Mopars are not like a GM the dist drops in correct or 180 out thats it ! unless you when you pulled the dist out you lifted the gear drive for the cam up and it dropped back in at another postion. if so you will need to pull it back up and get TDC and replace, from what your saying I think this is what happen at 180 it should turn over but back fire badly are we talking Poly or A motor ?

6. br7766

br7766

An A motor

7. ther is a sprig gear that rides on the cam this what your shaft rides in. this just sets in place if you pull this up then it will change everything and makes it very hard to get back to tdc. wil send E-mail

8. br7766

br7766

Engine runs GREAT!!!!!!! Problem: dizzy was out 180. Thanks Guys!!!!!:)

9. That's one of those things that everyone should experience and find out how to fix. Glad you got it going.

Bob