Register now to get rid of these ads!

302 ford dizzy options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bulletproof1, Apr 18, 2010.

1. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

ive had some running issues with my 302 and it comes down to the dizzy,im looking at the pro comp gm style hei.i like the one wire,no more ford hei control box ,
    anyone used one?
    yes i know its not era correct,,and i dont care how it looks....just want it to run

2. 61falcon

61falcon

i am using the mallory uni-light. i have had it for about 15 years now with no issues at all. simple 3 wire hook up. power, ground and coil.

3. Putting aside all other issues with Pro Comp...I'm personally aware of a number of cases where their ignition products have failed quickly. I'd look elsewhere.

The Ford Duraspark is very reliable when set up as a rule. You might consider using a Duraspark with a MSD 6A control instead of the FoMoCo box.

4. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

What he said ^^^^^

5. joee

joee

try a pertronix conversion.....

6. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

also looking at the pertronix flame thrower

7. That's what I'm using on the 302 in the wagon but haven't fired it off yet. HRP

[​IMG]

8. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Pro Comp is Chinese. Certain Chinese stuff is OK, but engine parts are definitely not among them. It'll fail in weeks or less, guaranteed.

X2 on either the Duraspark distributor with an MSD box, or a Pertronix. Just make sure to connect either one to a full 12 volt supply, and not a resisted power wire for points.

-KK

9. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

I have had my HEI about 1 1/2 years and it works fine,you might want to check out Skip Whites in TN. He puts a good warranty with it.To use a 14" filter you will need a carb spacer.

Attached Files:

10. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

I'm running a performance distributror HEI unit. No complaints, great customer service. The unit is huge, though. (that's what she said).

Good luck.

11. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I reiterate what has been said about Duraspark. I run mine with a Jacobs box.

My roadster runs an Accel setup. Uses a magnetic trigger and a GM chip. Compact, and seems to work as well as needed.

12. twofosho

twofosho

I've got a large cap Duraspark unit. Nothing else, just the distributor with the three wire pigtail. Like the Mopar electronic distributors, this ford one looks to be a mag pulse. The slant sixers (great how to sticky at slantsix.org) have been converting to HEI for a while now by simply using the four pin GM HEI module (mounted on a heat sink) with the Mopar mag pulse distributor and the newer style coils made for them. EFI Fox Mustangs are a nice cheap junkyard source for the coils as well as various GM pickups and other GM vehicles with fender mounted modules and/or coils. Always the cheap screw, I'm going to try it with the Ford one.

13. Frank

Frank

WHat dizzy you running now? What makes you think its the problem?

14. I'm using the large cap Duraspark with the 4-pin HEI mounted under the dash. Works great.

15. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

right now im using the stock ford hei (1984)ive changed caps and that spacer thing under the cap.cant keep the caps tight,you can move them on the dizzy base.pretty sure the vac advance isnt working either.
    long story short i think its worn out.id rather change to something that doesnt have a control box if i can.

16. Contact gmc bubba here on the hamb.

17. jimcaf

jimcaf
    from san diego

Just a reminder too if its a later model 5.0 roller cam vs older flat hyd lifter takes a specific distributor gear

18. Desert Ratt

Desert Ratt

yep, before throwing cash at the problem do some more detective work-"pretty sure the vacuum advance isn't working". is or it isn't. did distrib come installed in motor? etc.

19. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

the motor and dizzy came together.ive installed 2 carbs and get the same running prob,back fires at half throttle or under hard load...timing is set.firing order is right for this motor 1984 ford van...good wires,plugs,cap ,rotor...the control box is new,also used the old one out of van..ive changed all parts other than dizzy...

20. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

21. Frank

Frank

Slack timing chain? See what it does with a timing light on it.

22. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

GM HEI in the 302 in my F100. Works fine.

23. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Where I work they sell lot's of the Pro Comp HEI's, some do fail but not very many of them, maybe 1% or 2% fail.

I had a lot of Pro Comp stuff on my last 650+ HP BBC, it all worked great.

There are lot's of Chinese/Pro Comp hater's here.

24. HotRod33

HotRod33

I have a pro comp hei in a 351m and it has run great for 3 years so far.....

25. [​IMG]

PerTronix Flame Thrower Distributor here as well. Works great, two wires to hook up and fits a hell of a lot better than an HEI