Register now to get rid of these ads!

Dumbest thing an "EXPERT" has said about your ride?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SOHC427, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottV

ScottV

OK, I have spent about an hour reading through this thread ...

... I think is only fair to post something stupid I have said !

Anytime we go to shows (usually my wife and I) I say before we start looking "Let's not say Nice Car because it's a show and for the most part they are all nice cars. Then usually about the first or second car I see, what do I say ??? Nice Car !!! :p

2. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

Recently had my '60 Comet wagon at a local burger joint show when a 300+ lb 40-something dude ambles up and starts in. He looks at the '65 289 under the hood and asks me if the numbers match. I told him, nicely, that '60-'62 Comets and Falcons only came with six cyl engines, and he said, "no they didn't, I had a '62 Ranchero with a factory 289, but they only put those in Rancheros and wagons." OK, I got a live one here.

Me: "Really? did it have a T5 or an AOD?"

Him: "It had an automatic, it was a high performance automatic because the shifter was on the floor."

Me: So, it had a floor shifter like in a '62 Mustang?"

Him: "Yes, exactly like a '62 Mustang."

Me: "That's so cool, I used to own a '62 Mustang, but I put '63 fenders on it."

Him: (back to my Comet) "Are those factory disc brakes?"

Me: No, this car came with drums, those are from my '62 Mustang. I parted the car out after I was hit by a '67 Maverick."

Him: "Bummer."

-KK

3. Zerk

Zerk

This must have happened in an alternate, time-shifted reality. Beware the 300 lb. man in the '61 Edsel.

4. I've been workin on my '64 Chevy pickup on a chevelle frame for about 4 years a Good builder here said "Why don't ya junk it and just buy one done?' Laugh? I thought I'd DIE!!!!!

5. Ford "Expert" strolls up to my "55 Ford RanchWagon and sez very loudly, "Aw Man I hate it when somebody puts a SBC in a Ford, it's just wrong!!!"

I just stare at him an think WTF?:confused::confused:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  6. heatnbeat

heatnbeat
    from Madera,Ca.

I put remote windows in my Ford 1928 A sedan in the early 90's With my hand in my pocket on the button I would wave my hand in front of the mirror and the window would go up or down:) the next week a guy is waving his hand infront of the mirror telling his buddy "IT WORKED LAST WEEK":D
    another time I had a 6-7 year old looking at my car and told him the windows would go up/down just by listening to my voice. He had me saying up/down for 5 minutes finally I said window OFF:)

7. hellbilly1932

hellbilly1932
    from San Diego

I always get caught at the gas station by an old ford truck expert. Now I drive a 59 F100 and I usually get comments like "what years your chevy?" or "I had a 52 just like that one"

I just politely inform them that it is a 59 ford and then give them a short lesson in the differences between the Fridge years (57-60) and the early and later years. If they thought it was a chevy I just tell them its a ford and finish pumping my gas and get the hell out of there, I mean it says ford on it in 4 places on the out side most of them are in chrome how hard is it to read?

8. fallendown

fallendown

"You should convert that to 12 volt"

Me..."Why would I want to do that?"

Them, "it's too hard to start in the winter ...."

I live on Galveston Bay, it's usually 80 degrees on Christmas day here. I assume ( dangerous ) that since it's February and he and I are both wearing shorts......well you know.

Besides, if this is true, how did they start 1954 Pontiacs in Michigan when and where they built them? Must be some Pontiac gypsy magic I guess....

9. Ramblerturbo

Ramblerturbo
    from Montana

This one's on me. One day, when I delivering appliances, I delivered a fridge to a nice house outside of Bozeman. I looked into the garage, and saw a bright red cherry befinned two door. After we installed the fridge, and got the old one out, I ask "Is that one of those early Volvo sportscars?" Guy kinda looks at me funny for a bit, and replies "It's a Studebaker Golden Hawk, first year." He then goes on to ask if I'd like to look at it... Absolutely beautiful car... I felt bad for mistaking it for a Volvo P1800.

At least I admit it.:eek:

10. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

O/T car, but several guys have asked me what year my Malibu is (it's an '80 Fairmont Futura coupe)

-KK

11. ScottV

ScottV

I have been reading through (and adding to) this thread for a couple of days when I have a few minutes. Almost as if on cue a friend of mine calls me and tells me a story that fits right in here. This guy has a dream job. He works for a very wealthy man that is quite into automobiles (no not Jay Leno) whom has quite a collection and shop with a great staff. My friends primary job is transportation, but does help in the shop and the guys have taught him alot over the years. They even get to work on their own stuff as well. He hauls the vehicles in a rig that has a trailer that is much like the NASCAR/NHRA pro teams use but the interior is finished in a furniture grade wood. It cost about $300,000 and that doesn't include the Peterbilt they haul it with.

Anyhow back to the story, He had stopped a a rest area to check on the 2 cars he was hauling and left the side door open. Often folks will look in to check out what is in there and he doesn't mind showing them sometimes if he has time. Anyhow on this particular occasion a guy in looking at the roadster that is in there and says "You don't realise how big these Model A's are until you see one that didn't have the fenders taken off" The car was a Duesneberg SJ.

12. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

You’d be amazed how often I’m asked what year my “Mustang” is.

Also, a lot of people tell me that it’s painted an original color, when in fact it’s painted 1975 Ford Green Glow Metallic.

-Dave

Attached Files:

13. ScottV

ScottV

I always tell my wife the story of how I met him back when he was fat, nice and ... well alive !!!

He turned into a butthole somewhere along the way.

14. I put air bags on the back of my lowered truck so it wouldn't be as useless for things like pulling my car hauler...

15. Kustom Komet

Kustom Komet

That's hilarious! The Duesey is, what, about twice the size of an A?

-KK

16. ScottV

ScottV

Only with the fenders on !!! :p

17. Erixon

Erixon

"When are you gonna paint it?"
    "When are you gonna finish it?"

...the usual.

Also, "Why would you put those spotlights on it if they don't even work."

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I was at a car show Sunday and saw my old '32 ford 5 window for the first time in 12 years. Saw some pictures last year. It looks almost exactly the same as when I sold it. It was very hard not to say something stupid like "When are you going to make it your car?" But I maintained. He is showing it as a "Historic Race Car". How old does that make me feel?

19. yellow wagon

yellow wagon
    from WI

Not an expert but still a couple stupid questions from a co-worker:

"What kind of radio does it have?" (its a factory radio-delete Biscayne)
    "What kind of gas mileage do you get?"

20. OKOLDS smashitup

OKOLDS smashitup
    from OKC

I know not too HAMB friendly. Sorry Hey does that still have the 442 motor in it... no such thing 4.4.2. was an acronym. No I had one I know what a 442 is son.. Wow I glad I dont know what my car is.

21. Thats the standard one in the UK. I mean WTF? The best reply I have heard is "Why do you want to know? Am I asking you to pay for it?"

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep. I get all kinds at the gas station too. On gas mileage I just tell them "I have no idea". That shuts them up because I'm sure they think I'm an idiot for not caring what my milage is. Along the same lines when somebody gripes about the cost of gas I point out that it costs about the same as milk or bottled water, that it's a bargain!

Yesterday I was gassing up. A man approached. It looked like I was going to get to answer a question or discuss my jalopy. That's always invited. Anyhow, he asked; "How do you get that thing to run on this unleaded Gas".

I wondered if he knows they've been selling this shit around here since 1980. Hell, maybe he just got out of the slammer after spending 40 years for being a dumbass.

I was tempted to bullshit him and say I added a gallon of paint thinner or mmo or some bullshit, but I humored him and told him it ran just fine on regular unleaded. He had a puzzled look and I don't think he believed me.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  23. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I hear stuff like that fairly often. My response is usually “if you put hardened valve seats in, it’s not a problem”, although my experience has been that even without hardened valve seats it’s not a problem. Maybe if you’re racing or trailering it is.

-Dave

24. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep, the hardened valve seats is bullshit, made up by machine shops to sell you something you don't need. It's cheaper to do a valve job every 50k miles on the ones that have cast iron seats than it is to upgrade................

25. Same here - I just say "who cares?" It´s not like I´m driving a million miles a year in the thing.

26. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

That may be true, but the answer usually forestalls further questioning or lectures from "experts".

-Dave

27. moefuzz

moefuzz

was at the gas bar filling up, there was an ~80's mustang (nothing special) in another stall.
    Some kids walk past the lowly mustang and one of them proclaims "wow, that's old skcool"

Well we learn something new everyday I guess.....

28. moefuzz

moefuzz

Out for a cruise in the original low mile faded 49 merc truck and got asked if I am going to paint it or keep it as a rat rod

not just 'nuff' said, maybe too damn much

29. 50'custom

50'custom

While at the grocery store the other night in the 50' ford I had a self proclaimed car god ask what year the studebaker was,I reasoned that it was in fact a 1950' ford and was met with the "FACT" that it was a stude,and that if I was gunna drive a car I should "at LEAST" know what it was.So I told him I really needed to get home and change my passenger side water pump and he looked at me like I was on crack......(1950' ford 2-door custom,8CM Merc engine)

30. hkestes

hkestes

At the Round Up, I walked by just in time to hear some guy telling his girldfried that this was a Corvair.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.