Register now to get rid of these ads!

Look at this oops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Okie Pete, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OT i know but had to share .Dad and i were feeding the cows this morning heard a bang then a constant grinding sound. Got home and took off the left rear wheel and found this. The ravages of plowing through mud and more mud all winter. Going to have to put some quiet pipes on the old feed truck never heard any unusual grinding going on .:rolleyes: Until things came undone.

Attached Files:

2. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Damn!

That's a wall decoration for the barn for sure!

-Chris

3. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Um, nice 2 piece 3/4 ton brake drum?:eek: Should make it much easier to check the brakes the next time.....

Stuff happens, I've ruined a lot of brake drums over the years, but I must say, never like that! If your going to screw something up, might as well do a good job at it. Guess with that in mind, you guys did a good job. Gene

4. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

It looks like a standard Okie brake set up to me. :D

Seriously, those ol' farm and ranch trucks take a beatin. How thin is the metal on the drum?

SAFU

5. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

What part is the oops? The bad drum or the lack of jackstands?

6. My unkle was a mechanic for Hurley Trucking in Phoenix. When that happened to me (one ton Ford) he told me they have that happen in his shop about 4 times a year. Mine was "discovered" coming to a stop at a busy intersection pulling a very heavy trailer. :eek:

7. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Were you pulling "brake stands" with the 3/4 ton again? lol

8. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What i think happened the grease seal went to seeping . Grease and mud built up and shoved the shoes sideways into the side of the drum . The shoes then cut through the side . The jackstands are under the rear bumper. You can lift this pickup off the ground by the bale bed that is on this thing well i have a time or two.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  9. barslazyr

barslazyr

thats the price for running cows lol. I spend alot of time fixing our feeding pick up but thats a new one for me.

10. JSBriggs

JSBriggs
    from Auburn, CA

That is definitely getting full use out of your parts before you replace them.

-Jeff

11. Chris Melzo

Chris Melzo
    from Reno, NV

12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

In the early 80s a friend of mine was working in a local service garage when a 52 Dodge pickup came in complaining of poor braking. When they pulled the right rear wheel off they noticed the phenomenon that happened to you.

On my 57 Chevy a previous owner had the drums turned. The local numbnut at the parts house didn't mic the drums, just turned them until smooth and round, how about .125 rather than .060 maximum? The shoes worked too far out and by and by the cylinder piston to shoe pin dropped down beside the shoe, jammed and neatly and quietly machined off the entire outside lip of the drum.

13. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

ouch..oklahoma mud 1...okie pete 0

14. F&J

F&J

I knew it was going to be a good thread when it starts with : "we were feeding the cows this morning" :)

...and a tractor in your avatar :cool:

15. Heo

Heo

happened on a frontdrum on a fairlane i had
    the previous owner had turned the drum to much
    I was braking hard and boom and it pulled left hard
    toock of the left wheel and drum as i thought the
    problem was on the left side nothing wrong there
    turned the right wheel and heard a scraping noise
    toock of the right wheel and found a drum like yours

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

We had a Dodge 3/4 ton van rear come in with the exact same problem. They never heard a thing.

Prior to that we had a Granada come in because the brakes suddenly started pulling to the left. When we pulled the front wheels... the right rotor had worn completely through leaving the brake surface area disconnected from the hat.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

a buddy had matching front rotors on his motorhome. you want his number? maybe he's still got them.

18. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I made a panic stop with my old '67 C/10 last year and wound up splitting the drum across it's surface, so as I stepped on the brake the shoes were just expanding the drum and tearing the friction material off. Pedal dropped to the floor, little braking power... scary shit. Some hardcore stunt driving saved my ass.