Register now to get rid of these ads!

Damned if it don't work (soda blaster)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by plym49, Apr 5, 2010.

1. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I finally tried out the HF soda blaster I received as a gift last Xmas.

I filled it with some bicarb I got at a pool supply store (big bags and inexpensive).

Set the regulator at 100 psi and started opening up the soda valve. Tried it out on an old carb that was sitting on the shelf. I was amazed at how well this worked. It quickly cleaned all of the grease and so on from the outside of the carb without marking or damaging the carb in any way.

Here are some pix:

IMG00026-20100404-1715.jpg IMG00027-20100404-1715.jpg

IMG00028-20100404-1716.jpg IMG00029-20100404-1716.jpg

IMG00031-20100404-1718.jpg IMG00032-20100404-1718.jpg

You can see in pictures one and two that you can get very fine control of the blast stream; also, it is notable that there is no erosion to the original part (see how the lettering in the casting is undamaged).

This tool is perfect for little fiddly parts, like fuel and electrical system components.

Of course, as a HF unit, there are some corners that were cut. I needed to install a tee fitting under the air manifold as otherwise the HF-supplied plastic feeder hose would have been kinked. Also, the unit is a real PITA to load. You have to partially disassemble the unit to get the head fittings off, and then load the soda in through a really tiny hole. I used one of those skinny blue ATF funnels with a brazing rod stuck down the center. Fill the funnel with soda and then churn the brazing rod to break up any clumps and to get the soda to fill the bottle through the tiny opening.

Since the unit actually works, I can see myself modifying the tank and fittings to overcome these shortcomings. In the meantime, the charge that is in there should last quite a while as between the tiny nozzle and a rather lean mixture, you don't need much to clean a small part.

All that was left behind is a fine film of soda dust on the part that is easily wiped or washed away. Plus it leaves a nice fresh smell in the shop (almost as good as a few dryer sheets).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
  2. slammed

slammed

Free tool and it work's? Alright, mister!

3. flat34pu

flat34pu

:Dthanks plym49, iv been eyeing them at harbor freight.

4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

This one is worth it. I do a lot of work on things like carbs, so this will be perfect for cleaning them up. The biggest shortcoming is in how much of a PITA it is to load. Maybe that doesn't matter as I can see a tankful lasting a year. OTOH it would not be hard to weld on some large-diameter bung with a threaded cap to make loading easier.

5. Ob1

Ob1

Stopped by HF today, picked up a handheld blaster, looks similar to a siphon paint gun. Didnt say it could shoot soda, but didnt say it couldnt.

It could. Perfect tool for small jobs, like the Triumph T25T I am resurrecting.

Just $17

6. 6-71

6-71

I made one from a piece of plastic tubing and a blow-gun.It was on here a while ago. I bought 50# of soda at the feed store for 12.00.It works excellent for cleaning carbs and aluminium parts.I blasted some 40 year old motorcycle carbs,and a really dirty edelbrock 4 bbl.They actually look brand new. Total cost including soda was about $15.00.:D

7. How about some more picture of some of these soda blasted parts?

8. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I had problems with mine, then turned it down to about 40psi. Works great now, perfect for carbs. I also turn the valve that controls the flow of soda way down, you don't need much.

9. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

I will next time I blast. Sidelined on a couple of other things at the moment....................

10. hydroshawn

hydroshawn
    from Tx,Ca

11. Tried it on some rust? Be interesting to see what it does on sheetmetal. If you don't have anything handy, let me know, I'm sure I have something floating around the garage here you can play with blasting on.

12. just picked one up...following.....

13. slobroy

slobroy

I just bought a commercial soda blasting business. The results on sheet metal are amazing. Going Thursday to seal the deal. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread, just excited about getting my new venture going...

14. 6-71

6-71

I dont know about the H F blaster, but my homemade one doesnt really remove rust. I tried it on some vintage tools and it did very little to clean the rust. It is great for small hard to clean parts.I have used it to clean medals and watch fobs that I sell on E-gay,no damage to the surface at all,and it really cleans up the details.

15. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

sweet, next tool to get after i get my welder fixed

17. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

go to your local feed store for a great price on Sodium Bicarbonate. The feed mills in dairy country typically buy NaCO3 by the semi-truck load. Some even get it in bulk.

18. I was forwarded this link a while ago after talking to some guys about cleaning carbs up. Finally got round to assembling the bits at the weekend, got 25kg of bicarb and off I went.....

What a brilliant bit of kit to have, it worked fantastic!!! The old rochester carbs haven't looked this good in years.

http://www.aircooledtech.com/tools-on-the-cheap/soda_blaster/

PS. It appears I might have been a bit over zealous ordering 25 kg of soda, it may last me a while. Unless I get into bath bombs that is.

19. fisher_man_matt

fisher_man_matt

I got an old porch glider soda blasted last year. The blaster told me the soda residue needed to be cleaned off prior to paint and recommended a simple solution of vinegar and water. On a side note, the soda film kept the steel from flash rusting when I got caught in a downpour on the way home.

20. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The unit I have does not seem too aggressive and the nozzle is tiny, so it would probably take quite a while to remove the rust from anything bigger than a carb base or something like that.

21. joel torres

joel torres

a big heavy duty soda blaster is my dream tool the kind they use to blast car bodies with

22. adamshumard

adamshumard

Maybe it could tackle rust if you stuck a NOS sticker on that big blue bottle. MORE POWER! OH OH OH(in best tim allen voice)

Honestly been thinking about getting a blaster capable of doin sheetmetal. Any Advice?

23. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Don't know anything about them. I wonder if a regular pressure-type sand blaster could not work, maybe with smaller tips.

I also wonder if bigger units son't include some type of mixer/agitator inside to keep the soda from clumping. You'd probably need a real good drier on a large usint as moist air would mess things up.

24. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Yes, that would be cool! Somehow I suspect that you could build yourself one pretty easily.