Register now to get rid of these ads!

68 318 block huggers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by damiandrigz, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Iv been lookin at a few typed of headers, and im not to concerned
    with the type of brand. i was wondering if anyone has put block hugger
    style on a 318 and had an problems with them getting in the way of the
    steering. My car does have power steering, no brake booster.

2. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

I don't think block huggers would be a very good idea in your case (I'm guessing the car in question is the Fury that is your avatar). I've never even seen block hugger or shorty style headers put on a C-body. Block huggers are not all that good performance-wise anyway. Check out Jegs or Summit Racing. They both list full length headers for a '68 C-body.

3. Iv seen the "adult" size and am worried about how low they would hang. Do you think
    they would be header/ sparklers? The fury is my daily driver so yes function before fashion is ideal so thanks for the input about the block huggers not being worthy.
    what bout the dakota shorties?

4. MadJack68

MadJack68

Aren't the forums supposed to be for '64-older vehicles?

5. BlueGhost

BlueGhost

6. Aren't car guys supposed to stick together? I noticed also at the round-up they said
    only cars 63 and older can register "no exceptions" yet there was some 64s. I guess
    its like buyin booze under age. You dont know if you can get away with it untill you try, and if you do its twice as fun. Dont take my fun away..i like your user name by the way cause its got a "68" in it like my car.

7. Thanks Blue Ghost. Ill check it out!!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I ran block huggers on a 360 in my '48 Plymouth for quite awhile many years ago. They were by Sanderson, leaked like a sieve from day one, cracked at the collectors frequently, and I tore them out very happily about ten years ago! On your C body car I can almost guaranty they will not fit due to K member interference. You might grab any one of the Mopar specific magazines out there and look up a company called TTI. Last time I looked they had a "shorty" type for muscle era Mopars. Much better flow, and I happen to know they're stuff is good quality.

9. Thanks Alot.

10. Thanks mang! that sites pretty cool. Appreciate it!

11. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

Didn't think about that. I would guess that would not be a problem. You would have to be running a pretty small amount of ground clearance before that happens. Seems like on my old Mopars the K-frame or oil pan will hit before the headers do. What all have you done to the 318 and what are you wanting to get out of it? Also, you might want to join www.forabodiesonly.com. It's an A-body site, but nobody cares if the occassional B/C/E body question is posted.

12. I think im gunna go with the full length, all the info iv been getting has
    been helpful and motivating. the 318 has been rebuilt late dec with a little bigger cam gear, "new to me"block, refurb carter, snorkle off a satellite, valve covers off a belvedere, trans cam out jan, exaust manifolds off another fury, removed the heat risers, new starter, optima battery(a pain to charge BTW) do to trickel filltering. I would like to breakoff sum of these mustangs that have been steppin on me down here. wishfull thinking i know , but there is a sleeper in there that will wake up eventually.

13. moparforlife

moparforlife
    from Rolla, MO

Here's a good, relatively cheap build for a 400 hp 318: http://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/techarticles/mopp_0409_318_engine_build/index.html
    Pretty much all they did was put on a set of Magnums along with a good 4 barrel carb/intake combo. That Fury is a big old car though. It's going to need some torque or at least a set of 3.55's to get it going off the line.

14. A friend actually printed that article out for me awhile back. It really hit home for me cause then like now i was hard nosed about keeping it a 318
    mainly just to be indiferent to the people screaming 383 or 440. I probly
    would have went that route if they would have left me alone about it.:)
    your right about her being BIG thats why the front bench is gone and my girl friend is is barely a hundred pounds... i try to shave wieght any way i can.HA! Thanks again for your help and pointing me in the right direction.