Register now to get rid of these ads!

gasser truck, 55 dodge

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sephgato, Apr 8, 2010.

1. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

I am building a 55 dodge truck, I want to go the gasse route with it. I am curious if anyone has some good pictures of this era truck done this way for reference. I am planning on running an SBC for now but it came with a 325 plymouth poly. just looking for some motivation thats all.

2. RustDust 29

RustDust 29

A friend of mine just bought a 55 Dodge truck lowered with some steelies. I love the body style of this truck. I cant wait to see a build thread on yours. He is looking for front a rear bumpers. Do you have any for sale, or know anyone that does?

3. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

no bumpers on mine but I did geta complete front section/grill with it, the actual face of the truck...wish I had bumpers!

4. Shagrat

Shagrat

I'm getting ready to start building a 55 Dodge. It's an H-series 2-ton with the big flared out wheel openings. I'm putting the cab on a '75 3/4 ton 2wd chassis with 440/727/4.10 suregrip. With the wide fenders, the track width of the later frame will fit perfectly. I'm going to build my own bed, but I haven't come up with a design that I like yet. Kind of a heavy duty hot rod / work truck. Wheel Vintiques sells 16" 8-hole steelies in various widths with baby-moon caps, so I'll run big and littles with a nice rubber rake.
    Good luck with your truck.
    Here is a pic that inspires me:
    [​IMG]

5. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Your going to find that the 55 cab & nose will be short on that full side Dodge truck frame.

I have a 50 cab from a 2 ton dump truck mounted on a short box 80 4x4 frame. I also had a 54 that was the same length at the floor/firewall area. Unless you want to really cut into your floor space, the front axle to firewall on the older cab is too short to fit on the 70s frames. The engine on the stock 70s motor mounts protrudes into the cab about 5". I raised my cab up about 4" so the uncut firewall and stock floor clears the motor (360). I had to modify the fender extensions because the tires sit towards the front of the wheel well opening. I also shortened the wheel openings arch to better match the tire size (235 x 75 x 15) and added a section of sheet metal in the fender hight. I built my own box like a step side from sheet metal and used a pair of 48-52 rear fenders. My truck has been on the road for almost 10 years. Gene

Attached Files:

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Couple pictures of my 54. This one I had cut the floor and firewall. The cut was the width of the engine (360) and 6" deep. That put the extended firewall flush with the bottom of the dash. really takes up foot space and made it unconfortable for anyone riding in the middle of the seat. gene

Attached Files:

7. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Never seen one of these trucks as a gasser, I think it would be badass.

8. sephgato

sephgato
    from fenton

Thanks fo rthe photos, you dont see these too often. I am hoping to have the engine mounted this weekend and then its back to the drawing board for some 4" front wheels....

9. gastruk

gastruk
    from minnesota

There are many examples under Dodge Truck Gallery.

10. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If you post a good side shot of it I'll photoshop it for you. Think it would be cool.

11. sololobo

sololobo

Anything done right in gasser style is cool. I think these are great customs as well. Here is a beauty I saw at the Rollin Bones stop in Nebraska. It is very nicely done. Hope you like it and good luck what ever you build. ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

This is my 56... Same body etc...

My firewall is notched 4 inches to fit motor in fust fine... custom trans tunnel made for it gave alot more room for things... I still have about 6" from the firewall notch to the dash this way... and truck is fully functional etc... drive it everywhere...

Attached Files:

13. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Nice truck!

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I could be wrong, but I think the Ramchargers had a racing truck... Gasser or Superstock or A/FX or something. You might get some good ideas from it. Gary

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

16. A "RAMCHARGERS" truck would be SO cool! The white paint and red stripes on the roof...

I put a 49'ish Dodge truck body on a 95 Dakota Club Cab frame and it worked out pretty well. I also used the firewall and floor pan from the Dakota. Based on some advice that I got on the HAMB, set the Dak firewall back 2" into the 49's firewall. There's a good thread on here from MOPARMAN4GZUS (I think that's how he spelled it) with some great photos. My 49 was a big ol' 1 or 2 ton job though, so the running boards and some of the other stuff made it a little different than what you'll run into. (Look for my post on one of the "before & after" threads for a picture). If I can help with some photos, etc. let me know. I PLAN on doing a build thread in all of my free time...

17. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Why not run the poly? Couldn't make me put a Chevy in there if you had a gun to my head.:eek:
    Shouldn't be hard to find a mopar motor if the poly is shot.

18. MoparFinman

MoparFinman
    from Okla

That aint no lie!!!!!!:eek:

19. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

I was wondering why he didn't answer. I see why,now.
    This thread's almost a year and a half old.:eek:

20. gastruk

gastruk
    from minnesota

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011