Register now to get rid of these ads!

327 water pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevy51deluxe, Apr 7, 2010.

1. chevy51deluxe

chevy51deluxe
    from Indiana

I have mostly rebuilt a 327 to use in my 51 Chevy truck.
    I have gotten ready to put a water pump and try to get some brackets for hanging accessory drives - but I got a short style water pump, and it rests on the timing cover. As far as i know i'ts the stock timing cover, and i dont think the paint is "that" thick on it.
    I bought this engine as a long block, so i dont have much to compare with. If it helps anything - it did have a crank pulley on it with 3 grooves (1 single groove, and a double grooved that locked into the single).

Will a long water pump change this, or will it just space out the pulley?

Thanks for any help...

2. Blown 26

Blown 26

A short water is right on the cover. A long wp is about an inch to inch and a half away from the cover

3. outlaw56

outlaw56
    from Hines, MN

Short pump is on cover and you will need to find short water pump pulley to match crank pulley. Do you have room to change to a long pump?

4. chevy51deluxe

chevy51deluxe
    from Indiana

Right now - the short pump sitting 'on cover' looks as though once i tighten down the bolt, i will have a dented cover.
    I will re-check tomorrow once i go back out to work on it. Thanks guys.

5. burnout2614

burnout2614

If your timing cover is stock, no problem. Back of pump will probably touch but not enough to dent cover. peace

6. acosta

acosta

Hello 51,

Ah... trying to match pumps and covers and pulleys. I had same problem a few years ago, and you can either get a long pump to work with the cover you've got, or change the timing cover to the older style to work with your short pump. If I remember correctly, crank and water pump pulleys should be considered as a set which will work for either a short pump or a long pump, but not both.

HOWEVER there may be more to the story: sometimes the bracket with the timing marks are in different places, and, correspondingly, the mark on the harmonic balancer can be in a different place, too.

Some pictures may help, so I went outside and took some (this disease is good for impressing other guys with the same affliction). The first picture is of a 327 with the short pump. Notice where the timing marks are. The second and third pictures is of a long pump on a motor with a short timing cover. Again notice where the tab with the timing marks is. To make this timing cover work with the balancer I had available, I had to make a pointer to show where TDC is, shown in the third picture (I painted marks on the balancer to work with the TDC line-- which is the same as having a single mark on the balancer and a few degree marks on a timing tab).

So it may be easiest to work backwards... Which balancer do you have? let that determine which timing cover you need to use, and that will tell you if you can use a short pump or not. Lastly, chase down the pulleys you need.

I hope I didn't make it sound overly complicated, but I just don't want you to have to learn the hard way. Like I did.

Good luck,
    acosta

Attached Files:

7. chevy51deluxe

chevy51deluxe
    from Indiana

Ill take option 1.
    I did have a balancer a timing cover, balancer and the pulleys on the long block. I replaced the balancer with an identical one, first balancer was indexed 10deg different. Maybe my 'too close' isnt that bad after all.
    Thanks - your post pretty much may have sealed it.