Register now to get rid of these ads!

Talk me out of it guys...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Well, I've grown weary of my project. Just can't find time to work on it. At this rate it won't be on the road for 5+ years. The kids are now both in high school (one is a freshman starting next year) and they are both VERY active in sports and academics. Every night I'm doing something non-car related. Where am I going to find the time???

I'm seriously contemplating selling the car and buying a souped up Mustang or something that I can just drive. The way I figure it, I may have the same money in the Mustang that I will have in my old car. Better engineering, faster, etc, etc....

Give me some good reasons to not jump!!!

2. If you ask that you don't get it or belong here.

3. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

3 more years and both the kids will be to College. You'll find plenty of free time then and the price of 37's will triple by then. Get er done,if it was easy everybody would be doing it.

4. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

You have to make the time!

5. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

If you need to mothball it, fine. Don't sell it! 74 year old cars are not made anymore...

6. 61falcon

61falcon

you need to do whats best for you and your family. if its sell the project and get an off topic car to play with then go for it. you can always get another car after the kids have grown. i always keep it in the back of my mind that if need be, the falcon goes up for sale. family first, cars second.

7. Tony

Tony

IF you have to let it go, at least get something other than a Mustang..
    There are lot's of pre-ponycar type cars out there that would fill the void, and be different too...........
    But on the other hand, sometimes thing's are worth waiting for and i am a firm believer if not making choices unless i am positive..without having to ask anyone else..
    In other words, keep the car. :)
    Of it were a financial thing, i'd say let it go without a doubt...but if not just tuck it away.

Best of luck with your situation..

Tony

8. Tuck it away for a few years, get the priorities right and in due time you will be back on it.

kgdb

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tman, that isn't necessarily the case. Sometimes life gets in the way of projects, and you gotta put stuff like family first. Hell, I've got 4 different projects waiting in the wings, and I hardly ever get time to work on any of it due to having a couple of kids that are also into everything. Plus a house to maintain, wife to keep happy, and a job to do well so I don't lose it. Someday I plan on having time again, hopefully I won't be too old to enjoy the stuff then.

10. slobroy

slobroy

Take a deep breath, hold it, now BREEEEAAAAATTTTTHHHHHHH. Now find a real friend that'll slap some sense in you.

11. I think you're answering your own question. IMO, your kids will be gone before you know it. Make the most of your time with them now. The car can wait if it must.

12. roddinron

roddinron

Bingo, sell it to a hot rodder, and go get yourself a mustang, they're really neato.:rolleyes:

13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Only you can decide, but just keep in mind the time will soon pass and your kids will be on their own. For the present focusing on them is what you need to do. From what you say in your Bio, you may be looking for something like this again if you sell it now. If that is the case , you may want to hold on to it if you can afford to. MTCW

14. big creep

big creep

X2 ive had mine for 8 plus years!

15. adamshumard

adamshumard

If you are asking us to talk you out of it you already know you dont want to get rid of them. Go with your gut. Everything i've ever sold that i had doubts about I always had regrets afterwards.

16. butch27

butch27

Put it on the back burner. I gave up circle track for my kids baseball. Wouldn't have missed it for the World.

17. 333 Half Evil

333 Half Evil

The best, most honest way to solve your predicament...flip a coin!!! Heads you keep what ya got, tails you don't get a mustang. Pick your coin...

18. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Dont do it ,I know another guy that did.I understand instant gratification .But it will never be the same as your rod ...........

19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

If you wanted your car done or had the desire to do so you would find time. A few hours here or there, or maybe a whole day on a weekend and you would get it done eventually.

A new car will never do it for you if as another poster says, you get it, or belong here.

Just ask me, I bought an 04 Cobra Mustang coupe brand new. Supercharged 4.6 DOHC handbuilt motor conservatively rated at 390 Hp and 390 lb/ft of torque. 6 spd and IFS.

It was a beautiful car, incredibly fast (12.75 in the 1/4 on street tires) and the howl of the blower in boost was addictive.

In the end, I sold it in 08 with only 14,000 kilometers on it because it just didn't do for me what I thought it would.

The new car will do lots, but will never have the "soul" the old iron does.

Anyway, you have to make up your own mind.

20. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

lol Friends and family come and go ...
    but cool old cars are hard to find..
    does that help at all lol
    ......dont have my ex wife now but still have my car

21. Our wagon had to sit for 20 years in my barn,,,I drug it out and started working on it,,,now add 7 more years and it's still not finished but we still have it.

In life you do what you have to do,,and if it's sell your project and buy a mustang,,then do it.

But there are plenty of affordable options other than a mustang,,,just my 2 cents worth! HRP

22. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

If you don't need to sell it for the money then don't. Like alot here have said put it on the back burner. If you got it, it ain't going no where and it will do nothing but appreciate. If it takes some years thats fine. I sometimes feel guilty about the cars I've got now and not being able to get them done sooner than I want, but in the end it is just a car. Damn Disney and making cars have feelings...:rolleyes:

23. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Hard to do but try and put yourself in the future. If you look back and regret selling the project you might as well keep it and put it away for awhile. As sure as tomorrow if you do sell and regret it later it will cost you multiple times what ever you can get out of it now. If it's a car you've "wanted all your life" and are satisfied with it as a starting point for your "dream".....................DON'T SELL.

Frank

24. Deuces

Deuces

What year Mustang you looking into?? :)

25. 46stude

46stude

Mustangs are cool chic cars.

Get an older pick-up & tinker w/ it while you drive it. '70s-'80s shortbeds are plentiful, cheap, & fun.

26. fxfxr

fxfxr
    from eureka, ca

Family first. But don't do anything with the car you will regret later. Do you think you will get back to it when the kids are gone? If yes just store it and wait.

27. B Blue

B Blue

Well, for openers, a souped up Mustang is not a Hot Rod. So the obvious question: Do you want a Hot Rod or do you simply want to go fast?

Anyway, keep putting the family first. They will soon move on and you can continue with your life of cars. Whatever that may be.

Bill

28. Deadbird

Deadbird

Mothball it if you have to. If it's paid for and it ain't costin' you anything, just sit on it. Bide your time. The kids will be gone and your time will free up. I'm sure there's plenty of us in the same boat. (see my signature) Heck, if you need a stop-gap, buy something cheap to drive and beat on. It's working for me so far.

Of course, if you're really into late model stuff ignore what I just said and sell the project to someone who really wants it. There's no shame in that. It all depends on what you really want to do and what's best for the family. Just my 2 cents.

29. Delmo

Delmo
    from Burbank

Real nice.

30. SWIGJ

SWIGJ
    from JASPER GA

Got my Nova 15 years ago. I worked on it about a year then the kids needed me more than the car did. My youngest starts college next year so 4 more years then I might have some money to start on it again. Unless I fall on hard times it's in the dry and not for sale.