Register now to get rid of these ads!

What gauges fit an original 30 A panel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Koolman, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Koolman

Koolman

Other than a rebuilt speedo, and the other original gauges, what aftermarket or other gauges will fit in the original panel?
    What have people used? I am assuming an amp. meter, oil pressure, water temp. and fuel gauge. Others? What makers?
    Thanks

2. Koolman

Koolman

3. not a lot of room for that many gauges in a `30 panel. Sunpro makes some 1-1/2" diameter gauges that you could squeeze a couple in

4. I think you are out of luck. Definitely not much room back there. Another thing you might consider is the gauge panels that attach to the steering column or the bottom of the original instrument panel. Try Bratton's 301-253-1929. Not as period correct but I have seen gauges mounted in the right hand cowl panel upholstry where they were visible to the driver.

Charlie Stephens

5. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

[​IMG]

You can always do an aristocrat, goes over the panel and provides space for two more gauges. Originals are rare and expensive but they do repop at least the oval speedo version. John

6. Slorolnlow

Slorolnlow
    from Florida

I have the original gauge panel in my '31 A Coupe.The original speedo and fuel level gauge are still there for looks.If you slightly enlarge the key switch and amp gauge holes,a Stewart Warner 2 1/16" gauge will fit.To solve the gauge depth issue,I used some slices of 2 1/4" stainless pipe about 3/16" thick behind the bezel to space the gauge out from the panel.This gives clearance between the back of the gauge and the fuel tank,still looks pretty clean.Sorry for no pics,I'm still kinda slow that way.

7. Koolman

Koolman

Thanks for the ideas everyone.
    I know I have seen gauges in the original panels and like the original look. I just need some idea of how it is done.
    Anyone else use the original panel? How did you solve the gauge issues?
    Thanks

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was going to be 'That' smart arse and say,
    "The originals fit pretty good"
    But you covered that, which leads me to wonder why I bothered to post this at all. Kinda pointless huh?
    OK, I will STFU now...............

9. Koolman

Koolman

No problem Doc. Have you used the original panel with aftermarket gauges?

10. 29ron

29ron

I am in the same boat. Doesnt look like any options out there. I was thinking of having one custom made. Maybe modifying something that is already out there. any other ideas HAMBERS?

11. Koolman

Koolman

Other thoughts?

12. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

I did, I'll try and get a pic tonite hopefully....

13. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Here is what I have done in the past:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I relocated the ignition switch to below the seat. I've also done another add-on pannel in a different car that had a tach and one other gauge.. You could put the ignition switch next to the tach in the example above. The picture above shows the tach and a stock Model A illumination lamp like the one in the center of the dash..

14. yblock292

yblock292

I put guages in a 30, cut out a block of wood the shape of the panel to back it up and used hole saws to open up the holes worked good.

15. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Josh Higgins put this one together
    similar to loudpedal's example

but no speedometer
    who needs one anyway?

[​IMG]

16. pitman

pitman

Found most in the Summitt catalog. The Tach was the best find. Autometer 2-1/16th dia. VDO Continental Speedo, Temp and eventually the fuel gauge. Yes, holes were opened up. Trick was to trim the rear of the gauges, and install a string of LED's to light them. The fuel tank would bump the gauges (the dash lights) out too much otherwise.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
  17. Koolman

Koolman

Nice examples. That helps. Thanks!

18. I made a copy of the accessory panel that mounts underneath the original, and mounted a generic water temp and an oil pressure gauge. Cost nothing and took a 1/2 hour to make.

19. Fenders

Fenders

depth is not a problem if you arenot using the gas tank in your lap....

Attached Files:

20. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

Here is my gauge panel. I am using the original tank for gas and its original gauge, the center hole is for my ignition switch. The gauges themselves are cheapies for now but there is lots of room for them. I filled the panel and redrilled the holes for the 3 gauges.
    The speedo is mounted on the column in a bullet tailite bucket.

Attached Files:

21. Koolman

Koolman

oldrelic,
    I like what you did. The pics are very helpful. Thanks!