Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody else running a strange motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vtwinpartss, Apr 2, 2010.

1. davis574ord

davis574ord

I think that your ride is bitchen those headers look wicked!, i think that hot rodding is takin what you have at the shop and scrounging up parts that you have and makin something out of it that is cool thamk god you dont have a small block chevy in it! Really cool dude keep those build pics coming!

2. Back in the '70s there were a few Fad-Ts running Datsun 510 engines, stateside, as well as the odd Fiat 124 Twin Cam. R&C did a story on a guy who built a T for something like $1/lb - it ran a Falcon six.

I keep looking at the engine in my R33 Skyline (2.5 litre, naturally aspirated straight six - only 192 HP) than thinking it would make an interesting powerplant for a full fendered late '30s rod. The 262 HP turbo version might be more fun, let alone the 2.6 twin-turbo out of the GTR!

Getting back to the old 240-260-280 Z-car series engines, they can be made to put out some decent, reliable horsepressure with simple bolt-ons.

3. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

believe it or not the Blown BMW was super super cheap. I have less than a grand into the entire drive train

4. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Somewhere I have a pic of a track style T roadster running a slant six Dodge all chromed out with three side drafts and a header. Looked AWESOME !!

5. Where'd ya get that idea??? I totally agree with you, of course!:D

6. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

The heck with 'em! I love it! looks killer and 95% of the guys would have a hard time figuring out what it is unless told. video would be great when you get it running.

Attached Files:

7. Itchijohnson

Itchijohnson
    BANNED
    from Colorado

Aw hell, run what you want it's your ride. I personally like to see stuff that you dont normally see in rods. I personally am running a chevy 348 in my model A. Got a buddy running a big ass caddie in his 36 truck. I love shit like that. I guess some may not consider you a traditional hot rod guy unless you run a SBC in your rod.

Anyway I say run what makes people come up and say "what the hell is that"?

Good luck

8. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

My quad 4 Rambler coupe..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Rotary powered Rambler...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

The idea came from a guy that I used to work with. I wish I had some photos of the car he built, they took a 1989 Lola Formula one chassis and stuffed the BMW V12 in the race car. They designed and built their own Hilborn style fuel injection system and headders.
    As soon as I saw the car I thought that would look bad ass in my 30 sedan, until I saw the price of a long block. I found my motor and trans by accident. I was in Sacramento looking at other parts and I saw this motor and trans in the corner of his shop. He told me it came out of a 91 850I that had an interior fire. I made him a stupid offer and he took it.
    I decided it was not the motor for my sedan so I bought this truck for the motor.

The Willys Whippet was a straight 6 in the first place so the 12 was a natural fit.

10. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

I would love to hear the rambler

11. Yes but Ak was far from the norm. He always did things his own way. Look at his roadster in the HotRods of the Dry Lakes book as a good example.

I think you are also confusing the traditional movement. I dig a trad 40s-50s hotrod as much as a 60s style hotrod. The BMW with the funky blower interests me as well. Just don't call it traditional.

12. dodored

dodored
    from Concord NC

I know that its old hat for the british, but I am going to run a 4.6 liter rover aluminum V8 (aka Buick 215 in 1963) in my Model A roadster. Its 200 pounds lighter than a SBC and will easily produce a reliable 300 hp.

Attached Files:

13. My theory has always build the best car I can afford and then bash anyone that can afford more!! LOL!
    love what your doing. it's much harder to be different today....Jim

14. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Toyota had a couple of hemi's that were used in their "Crown" and then "Century" sedans. I believe they were made from the '60s to '90s. Not big on displacement or power, I believe the 2.3 liter made only 115 hp. Wouldn't do much in most American cars, except possibly a T-bucket, but would probably be a blast in a '71 Corolla.

15. retromotors

retromotors

Here ya go .... stolen off the web.
    It's a Toyota.

[​IMG]

16. Spooky

Spooky

I've always wanted a '55 Chev 210 post car with a either a 428 or a 312.

17. TomWar

TomWar

In 1957, I put a 259 Studebaker in my 36 ford, Everyone called me nuts, but it was about the fastest in the school, and it cost me $100, a 265 chevy, they wanted $300. In 62, I built a Corvair and put in my Porsche Speedster. A friend about that time, put a 1600 CC Alfa-Romeo in his Bugeyed Sprite. All of this happened in Nor-Cal, Maybe its the Water.

18. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Toyota

19. Looks great.Maybe your friends are giving you crap because they didn't think of it first? I'm pitting a lincoln flathead in my 32 ford pu just so it is different .

20. It all sounds cool to me, but I've always liked builds that were different (maybe it was the SoCal smog?).

TMan, I hear what you say about the Traditional movement, and I'm sure you'll agree there's a place for all styles in hot rodding. I was influenced by the likes of Ak, Shel, Isky, Sturdy and other free-thinkers who I had the pleasure of knowing in my misspent youth in SoCal, which is probably why I have been pissing off purists for more than four decades. :D

For the guy who wanted to put a Ford in a '55 Chevy - I had a neighbour in L.A. back in the mid-1960s who put a set-back 427 Ford in a '55 post sedan. I thought it was pretty cool at the time...

21. OldCrow

OldCrow

98 Cadillac Northstar with T-5 and my own injection. should have it done by late summer.

Russ

Attached Files:

22. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

1988 Chevy Nova 4A-ge 16 valve 4 in my 26 T

Attached Files:

23. 1962 Pontiac tempest 194.5 slant 4 in my 7 year-old's '26 T roadster.

[​IMG]

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I get alot of "What is that"? questions...

Attached Files:

25. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>.,Hot rodding has always been ,,inovation ,,but ,,we foerget the roots sumtimes ,,after WW II when the guys came home is when it really started ,,my Dad was on P T Boats in the Philliphines ,,a P T Boat had Three 2500 hp supercharged Packard V-12's ,,,as i was growing up ,,he told me many stories ,,one in particuler ,,,one time ,on R&R in Australia ,,him n his buddies stole an Army Jeep ,took it to their P T Boat parts depot ,,and put a spare P T Boat Supercharged Packard V-12 in that Jeep ,2500 HP werth of Mr Packards Inovation ,,,after a week of werkin' on it ,,they got it runnin' ,,drove it to town to an Aussie Pup ,,drank alota Aussie Beer and on the way back to base they crashed it into a Marine Quonset Hut ,,Dad said they were going pretty fast ,,??/,,,they bailed out and ran ,,their boat left to go back to the War the next morning ,,the M P 's never fingered out who did the dasterly dead ,,,
    So ,,,in 1944 ,,,there were "Strange Motors" in hot rods ,,

26. vtwinpartss

vtwinpartss
    from NOR CAL

Have you fired the caddy motor yet???

27. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>>>,A WW II pic of a Supercharged Packard V-12 P T Boat Motor ,,,no small deal fer sure ,,but ,,Ole` Man Packard pulled 2500 Hp outa em ,,in 1943,,by 1945 ,,they were over 3200 HP ,,
    Put That in your Willys Jeep ,,,lol,,lol,,[​IMG]

28. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im not proud but my dad is using a Chevette motor in the Roadster T pickup hes building ,He also is using them in the Citroen Traction's he building ......

29. :rolleyes:

30. shootingmonkey

shootingmonkey

I think it's pretty cool FWIW. Just build with what you got. Alot of cool rides are made that way. Please post some more pics of in process and some video once you get it running.