Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone else have a ride that can't be bought?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sir Woosh, Mar 30, 2010.

1. HELL NO! And if thats queers the deal...I guess I'm keeping my car. That trophy is way too cool for you! :D

Attached Files:

2. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Sure hope to see more of that Chevy truck K13. Another great story of a father and son hot rod adventure. Sure don't blame you for hanging on to that one..............The Chevy is also because of my dad. It was the first real Hot Rod/Custom build I had ever done and I worked on it with my dad as well until he passed away. He was a British car guy (MG's and obviously the Landrover) but he never hesitated to help or be a part of the build even when I was not around (we worked on it at my parents). There are a number of one off handmade parts that my dad made on the truck and no amount of money in the world can ever get those or the memories of spending time with my dad back. I can't say for sure if there is enough money to buy it as it has not and probably will never happen but I really can't see myself ever getting rid of it.

[​IMG]

3. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I understand you guys with families. Of course you would do whatever it takes to support them, but I've heard way too many "regret selling" stories.

You never hear someone saying: "I'm glad I sold that old gas hog hemi 'cuda"

4. 65COMET

65COMET

I have had my 65 Comet Caliente since the spring of 67.It is the car I longed for in high school,finally found one.It has morfed from a stocker to a 10 second,street legal car.I went through divorce,got the car and my two sons,good trade! I have been offered stupid money for it,it is NOT for sale!!!! ROY.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Most people who know me would think my '48 Plymouth would be the no seller. Close - it would have to be some serious money for me to part with that one. So much that no sane person would ever pay that much for it! But truth be known, the true "keeper ' in my stable is my '62 Falcon. It's been waiting it's turn for about ten years years now, but as of April 22, it's been with me for thirty years. It wasn't my first car by any stretch, but over the years I put enough mileage on it to have driven to the moon.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

No but if you read the ads you see a lot of........

"I never thought I would sell this........"

7. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Brought to you by the same people that BOMBED PEARL HARBOR..SHOVE IT UP YOUR ....

8. What he said!

9. RayMiller

RayMiller

no bull shit but i wouldnt part with any of them even the 63 belair, i have posted it on the hamb for sale but at an unrealistic price just to get my wife off my back to sell it, hahaha

10. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

It took 35 years from the time I knew I wanted to do this to get to this point, and I have a 12 year old son who is captivated by the car. I hope it is not only a vehicle to my dreams, but a way to keep my son and I close during the teen years and beyond. I envision the day when I give up driving duties and my kid takes over. I really hope this becomes a family heirloom.

[​IMG]

That's quite a car to build a relationship with your son. Did you build it from the ground up? The real trick is going to be making it street legal for his first car. Just kidding. But you have something going I wish my Dad would have shared with me. He's my hero and I can't imagine this world without him. But sure wish we could have shared a special car.......... Good looking job!

11. I use to think like that but with age comes reality,,I really don't want to sell any of my cars but they are just that,,old cars,,and being that they are old cars if the money is right.

Thinking back a couple of years ago I did turn down some stupid cash for my truck,,and I still love it!:rolleyes:

I sold my roadster last year,,and I guess I miss that car more than any I have ever parted with in the past.

Now when it comes to my wifes wagon,,she said it won't be for sale during our lifetime,,but when we are dead and gone she would hope one of the girls wants it. HRP

12. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Racist much?

13. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Everything is for sale...just not right now!:D

14. Uhmm...remember hearing a little story in history class about a couple hard bitches named "Fat Man" and "Little Boy" who dropped into Japan and wrecked over 100,000 citizens over a few days...I'd say we are even...if that is even possible in such an unfortunate series of events...

15. Wolfie

Wolfie

My '50 Olds sedanette, stick shift is not now or will it ever be for sale in my lifetime. This car came from a dear friend that I worked with at Bell Auto Parts way back in the '60s. Many have already tried with BIG offers, but the 54,000 mile car will stay in my life to the end!

Wolf

16. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Good for you Wolfie! That's pretty much what I was hoping to hear in this thread. If you Don't have to sell and you Don't want to sell, Don't. Been kind of hard to get that message across, but you got it........

17. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Thanks everyone. I'll do what I can about my sisters car....but a '65 is barely o.t. :)

I am going to talk to her father-in-law about getting our Dads '26 "T" Coupe body back. I think maybe I'm ready to do something now. :)

18. TheRookie

TheRookie
    from Sparks NV

My 1961 Chevy if I have any say in the matter, will never be for sale. The car has been in my family since new. I have owned her for 12 years now. She was drivable and my only car for the first two years of ownership(as well as my first car). Then she sat in front of the folks house, my house, friends house, or storage yard, while I wasted all my money on chics and booze. during her hibernation she was nearly sold(when i could not pay storage fee) nearly impounded when I couldn't get her to move. Now I am totally fuckin broke doing really poorly actually. in an act of desperation I took what little money I could scrounge together and using more time then money philosophy, I now can drive her daily. Despite my neglecting her and letting her rot away before my eyes, she is still there for me when I need her the most. That my friends is whats called a "keeper"
    [​IMG]

19. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

No Clue.... In your profile you say you think you must have been born with rust in your blood. Funny..... But your heart's not rusted. The Galaxy is missing normal limits here by just one year. Close enough for a good story like this. When cars help bind a family as it is in your case, it's all good.

Thanks again and keep us up on both cars if you will.......
    Sir Woosh

20. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Thanks again !! I'll try and get current pics of them both this weekend. That way you can see that we will need all the motivation we can get.:D

21. SAFU

SAFU
    from Arizona

Hey Pardner,

Haven't you heard? The war is over. We won! :)

Now days when the USS Essex (LHD2) sorties from its base in S. Japan, the Japanese Navy's warships go with it. :D

22. this car is not exactly hamb friendly, but my dad has owned since 1962. it will be mine when he's "done" with it. it can not be bought for any price. the pic is from the 80's!
    [​IMG]

23. burnout2614

burnout2614

I am always shocked when someone asks if my junk is for sale! peace

24. voxnut

voxnut
    from sacramento

Thanks- it's a King Chassis that was built according to the vision we had in trying to recreate a 1963/64 car that would certify. I too wish my Dad and I would have had a common interest to bring us closer. It's funny, he worked at GM his entire career and wasn't really a car guy. I'm the only gearhead in my whole family. It's not a pre-requisite for my son, but so far, so good. I just hope to expose him to this stuff and hope that some of it rubs off and that it's something we can do together until I'm pushing up daisies.

25. Toner283

Toner283

I have one (sorta - it ain't technically mine yet) that will never leave. My dad bought this coupe in about 1970 and built & drove it for a few of years. He always told stories of having fun in this car but how it handled erratically and was windy, noisy & cold to ride in at night. Then the car was parked for 25 years or so while he did stuff like build a house & have a rugrat or two. My mom has pictures of me "driving" this car when I was a little kid. Dad always had other cool cars but he always wanted to "get the coupe back on the road".

We started on it about 11 years ago now and finally got it back on the road last summer. The car hardly sat still all summer as long as the weather was nice. It is not finished yet, it will probably eventually get shiny paint but we are having way too much fun to take it apart again. We built it together from the ground up by ourselves. The only things that somebody else did was the exhaust & the cushions/upholstery on the seat. And dad was helping (watching like a hawk) the guy who did the exhaust.

The guys who state that it is just a car & you can get another one - most cars I would agree with you. But, there is no way that I can replace this one. I could build another "A" identical to this one in every physical way, but it would not be the same. No amount of money could replace this car or what it means and what it stands for.

There is a build thread on here for the car with lots of in process pics if anyone is interested. Enough typing, here are the pics.

Build thread: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348159

1972 or so:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mid build - dad thought we would never put it back together again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last summer:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

The last thing my dad gave to me before Cancer took him. It was a 66 Stingray that is in pretty good shape cosmetically but needs mechanical work. I have been offered good for it and have had people tell me to make a price and they would take it. He had it since 76 now it is mine and one day hopefully one of my kids will love it the way I do....

Thanks dad I miss you

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's so cool, Toner283...you and your dad rebuilding his old hot rod, and him thinkin' it'd never be put together again. But you did! LOL! And now the two of you are enjoying and sharing the fruit of your labor...together. Awesome.

Sir Woosh is a friend of mine,and I know for a fact that this and some of the other heart-warming stories are exactly the kind of stuff that he hoped you guys would bring. There can be no denying that you could never be induced to sell that which holds so much meaning for you. Thanks for allowing us to share and witness your passion for what is...it's true...just a car, but represents so much more. Thanks to all of you.

28. beanis

beanis

Thanks SirWoosh, for good naturedly keeping this thread on track. And thanks to others for bringin' us your heart-warming stories.

I don't have a vehicle that fits the question...but I have a parallel that might put things in perspective for the "bullshit everything has a price" crowd.

It's my family's Bible, with hand written birth and death records back to colonial times. It's my turn to make entries and the thought of writing in it humbles me so much... I dunno.. sounds corny I know, but nothing, I mean absolutely nothing would have me part with it until I place it in my son's hands.

Can a car be the object of the same deep and abiding sentiment ? Yes, of course, A car, a book, a photograph, a trinket...anything can be an heirloom...and for multitudes of reasons we have no authority, nor the insight to judge. We're reading about some here, and it's great!

There are things not for sale, period.

More stories, please!

29. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

enloe...Awesome.

beanis...That's about as uncorny as you can get. Thankyou for your thoughts and sharing.

30. I want to thank those the wrote here about their "can never be bought" Items. Especially those guys who have had their rides since the 50's. I am a Gearhead max from the 50's and have a car I bought new(44 years ago) with a unusal case history but it is not exactly HAMB friendly..... I respect that(I own and drive some traditional cars) but, retaining some thing that has a value but no value in relationship to dollars or even gold, is the true core of a honest human existance, the Glue that holds families and friends together, and has no year or time limit. Thanks for this thread..... the stories are Fantastic!
    Toner283, you and your Dad have so much to be thankful for and I am not so sure that, that car ever needs to be painted... I just looks so good and like lots of fun!!
    Fuzzy knight, your car just looks like 25 years of thought and desire. An excellent example of tradition and Modern style combined in one. Paul