Register now to get rid of these ads!

500 inch caddy damn thing won't fit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jakespeed63, Nov 6, 2006.

1. LOL, I knew i was getting myself into a "project", but need some help. Do I need to use a different left side exhaust manifold, possibly from Eldorado, to clear the steering box? Engine is a '76 500 from RWD DeVille, fitted with Eldorado oil pan. After I solve the exhaust problem, will need to make up some custom mounts for engine. Anybody done this job? Any info will be much appreciated. :)
    JT

Attached Files:

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Haven't done it in that car...don't know about the Eldo headers, but try Sanderson for some other headers...they may have a fix...
    '
    I had to build my own mounts for a 500"/'78 Trans Am subframe...stripped down the stockers (removed the rubber), built a new mount on the frame...may have to do that...

Check out Cadillacpower.com...they may have something...

R-

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

You get yerself into a pile of shit there, son, good luck.

4. Abomination

Abomination

I have a '60 Cadillac. I also have a 472 that's been sitting, waiting to go in it.

Horror stories like this make me want to just keep the '64 429 that's in it now, which was pretty much a bolt-in (1st year TH400 & all).

Rest assured, I'll be following along here - if you can do it, you'll be my hero. But take/post lots of pictures - there's a lot of folks like me (and a lot of folks in your position) out there that would like to see this happen for you, so that there's hope it'll happen for us someday!

~Jason

5. Model "Eh"

Model "Eh"
    from Denver

I've done a bunch of cad engine transplants & in my experience headers will be your friend on this one.. the Eldo manifold may help some but probably not enough. I have a 500 in a 58 cad and I had to raise the engine up about 2" and offset it to the right about the same amount... plus cut off the collector flange on the header, and grind the steering box some, and dent the tubes... etc. etc. But when you're all done it'll all fit under the hood and the power increase is well worth the hassle... plus 472/500 parts are much easier to get and cheaper than 429 stuff. Don't give up....
    --Bob

6. DRD57

DRD57

440 MoPar mount bolt right up to the 472/500 Cad engines with a little clearance grinding for the oil pan, and provide another option for engine swaps.

[​IMG]

7. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Sean

Sean

We had to have Sanderson custom build us a set of tube headers for the 472 that we loaded into a '64 coupe de ville. Not cheap, but well worth it.

9. Thanks for all the info, will keep posting progress reports as this project unfolds. Getting the engine in and running is job number one, the rusty body will have to wait.:)
    JT

Attached Files:

10. Abomination

Abomination

You think you've got troubles. I just got an email (with pics) from a guy that put a Northstar in a '59 Cadillac. Quote:
    "Anyway what started out as a “quick” winter project to install a Northstar ended up taking 7 years to finish."

~Jason

11. Brad B

Brad B
    from Nor Cal

Contact, Willies Place in San Jose. He is on this board and he may be some help to you.

12. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

13. Abomination

Abomination

Someone posted something recently in the HAMB "for sale" section about an auto museum selling out fo all it's stuff. Curious, I checked 'em out - and found a '64 Cadillac with a 472 in it... for (get this) $1850!

That may well be cheaper than putting that 500 in yours, as it's already been done - all you'd have to do is swap your current 500 for the 472.

Here's a link:
    1964 CADILLAC SEDAN DEVILLE, 4 dr HT Sedan Deville,472 V-8,auto,PS,PB,PW,Pseat,wunderbar radio
    Here's a link: http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/7/3/85282473.htm

The number and contact info is there.

~Jason

14. Squablow

Squablow

That Caddy isn't from the museum, it's from Country Classic Cars in Staunton, Il. There was a long and heated thread about them on the HAMB not too long ago. I haven't been able to find the inventory list of the museum on that site.

15. i did this swap into a 58 olds, i had to use block hugger headers turned upside down to clear the steering box. made the exhaust a fenderwell type set up. those cad motors are wide. also had to make an oil pan cause the rear sump eldo pan has an 11 in sump!it didnt clear the stock olds steering. was worth all the effort though cause the car hauls ass!

16. Abomination

Abomination

Ah... THAT "Country Classic Cars".

Sorry, I didn't make the connection until you said that.

~Jason

17. Frank

Frank

I really don't have any experience with Caddy's and admire them from afar.

I could have sworn there was a 525 ci Cadillac but I'm not turning anything up when I google it. If it exists, is it not a part of the 472 - 500 engine family? I figure if going with a Caddy is mostly about big cubes, why don't more people go with the 525?

It could very well be I was just reading a torque spec for the 472. It was several years ago.

18. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

i cant wait till i shoehorn a 500/4 speed into my 29 coupe

19. Chuck Foster

Chuck Foster

I have a 500 in a 60 sedan de ville, I cut the left exhaust manifold and made it exit to the rear. I made solid motot mounts. A car this large you cannot feel any shake. The stock trans -t400-mount worked on the stock trans cross member. The left exhaust manifold worked fine. Good Luck

20. Frank

Frank

Yeah, I wonder how he made out being this thread is 4 years old!

21. You think he hasn't figured it out in the intervening three and a half years since this thread was posted?

22. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

dear chuck foster..this thread over 4 years old..the caddy has probably been driven,sold,or crushed by now.

23. boomosby

boomosby

me tooo really, the swap from 429 to 500 shoudl be such a hassle, teh mounts are really simliar, just spacing issues is all

24. Abomination

Abomination

Got any pics, Chuck?

~Jason

25. Well I really don't care how old the thread is.
    I still find it interesting.
    Thanks for the resurrection...

26. Country Gent

Country Gent
    BANNED

The 525 is a differant breed. Looks like a 472-500, but he internals are different along with other stuff. Sold one to a guy as a 500. Had to give him his money back. I still have a complete 472 out of a 74 rear wheel drive with turbo tranny if anyone is interested. It has been sitting for years. CHEAP

27. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I posted pictures of a 47 I was cleaning up on in the caddy thread on here, it has a 72 500 in it, pretty decently done and with the,looks to me, the stock manifolds, the only glitch was the oil filter but a remote fixed that but it just barely fits who ever put it in must have worn out a tape measure to get it in, it just clears the fresh air vent boxes.

28. original patina

original patina
    BANNED
    from Texas

Solid thread resurrection.

Recently picked up a 23k original mile 472 from a '71 DeVille rear ended in '73. Organ transplant into the '58 upcoming - after refreshing.

Now let's see pics of those conversions!

29. RAY With

RAY With

I would think custom headers with possible notching the frame 1/2 inch and moving the steering box over a little will get you where your going on the swap. I have cut many c frames and simply move the steering box over to eliminate a no fit situation. Its a eay process and you may want to consider this option.

30. Hey Fella's, really happy to see some interest, in this old tattered thread. Truth be told, due to lack of funds, by the owner, project has crept at a snails pace.
    Did manage to get the exhaust problem figured out. My good friend from Paragon Customs, in Orlando, initially came up with the idea of chopping a stock Eldorado exhaust manifold. Although, it took time to find someone to professionally weld it/make it work.
    Have enclosed some photos of the fine work done by Carl, at the Cleveland Ohio, Lincoln Electric welding school. Found him through a mutual friend at the company. What better place to get the job done.:cool:
    Manifold had to be furnaced brazed with special rod. If anyone wants to know the details, I might be able to put you in touch, via e-mail with him. Very nice guy and was extremely helpful/knowledgeable.
    Owner is filtering a few bucks here and there, so hoping and praying to be able to get it up and running soon!!:D Will definitely keep y'all posted on the progress.
    JT