Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How bad was it when you started? / When to walk away???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by redlinetoys, Jan 1, 2010.

1. fbama73

fbama73

That car is a problem. If you get it, it will be YOUR problem, and once it is, you'll find a way to solve it.

That's how I deal with tough projects: once I make it MY problem, I stop worrying and get to solving.

2. BEAR

BEAR

this what im started with
    [​IMG]

and i washed it and put white walls lol not much done
    im not walking away
    [​IMG]

3. abone1930

abone1930

Lots of welding wire, and patch panels and My friend Bondo, Mine was the one with the frame :D
    Save it, its do able :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  4. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

If this is a contest I nominate Jay Sweet. (Nosurf)

I can't find the picture but it has to be the prime example for something that is on the road and driven.

5. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

FOUND IT.

6. It appears that the metal is paper thin or rusted clean through -- everywhere you look. You also need to ask yourself . . . "self - how much money and time am I willing to put into THIS car?".

Personally, I see way too much of both - just to end up with a Model a 2-door. Heck, you can probably find a nice body for $3,000 or so . . . maybe even less. Imagine how little time/effort and work it takes to spend $3000 -- the answer seems obvious to me! Even if it was free - I wouldn't build that car, though somebody else might.

I'd pass and find a nice one -- they're definitely out there.

Dale

7. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I agree somewhat. But I'll probably never have the money to drop on a nice complete body. So it just comes down to how bad you really want it.

Nosurf
    NealinCA
    Lukester
    Samiyam
    Cleatus

And I'm building this from other people's trash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. big creep

big creep

you are crazy motherfuckers to take this on! i would love to see what you do with it? cause i have no talent to even know where to start?

9. I should get together with the guy I sold my '53 Skylark to, the second time, so I can post pictures of what it looks like now. The last time I talked to him he had it in primer and ready for paint. When I sold it, it was a car that had been wrecked hard in the right side, hauled to the junkyard, dumped on it's top, with the front clip off and the entire front frame stub torched off, and left to rot since sometime in the late 50s or early 60s. Most guys would crap themselves at the idea of fixing something like that.

10. I really like reading the replies in posts like this. The responses fall into a few basic categories, Professionals/ back yarders...... those with $$$ to get a "good start"/ the rest of us and then the most interesting one...... is geographical dry climate vs rust belt. I can't wait to have the money to get myself one of those rotten Texas trucks with the yellowing glass and dry rot interior shipped up to good ole oxidation world, Vermont.
    H.

11. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I were you I'd try and buy the sedan in the pics on the cheap ($250-$400) and immediately flip it for $800. I'd then take that $800 and buy a set of '32 rails and A crossmembers, as well as a 12er of Grain Belt. That way you'll have the basis for the A coupe that is out there waiting for you to find it. Moral of the story: don't build this one.

12. T. Scott

T. Scott

BEFORE!! and this was all of it dont let the primer fool you there was cancer everywhere!!
    [​IMG]

13. T. Scott

T. Scott

After!! but not done .... closer?!
    [​IMG]

14. xmacx

xmacx
    from illinois

Oh this is so a thread for me that car looks new compared to what mine had left.

Attached Files:

15. I'm starting with this 37 Chev sedan delivery. Very rough and no wood but that won't stop me from building my dream car. The frame is good and I have a decend back section to start my wild kustom project. There are a few out there for sale but when you start with something as bad as mine, ideas flow. I plan on using coupe doors and thanks to the "photoshop" boys I have something to keep me motorvated.

Mikey
    www.mikeyspinstriping.com
    "does bad things to good cars"

Attached Files:

16. Lunatic

Lunatic
    from Carson,Ca.

I really like the way this turned out ..nice work

17. bobjob55

bobjob55

I picked up my 48 dodge town sedan for $300.00 it had a lot of work done,, and the guy who had bought it ,, didn't know what to do next... all he wanted was the motor/trans.. it was sitting in a garage for around 20 years.. guess if it sits in my back yard for a few more won't hurt it .. it sure won't rust here in Arizona..
    3 1/2" chop,, nova clip..front end work..
    now,,, all i need is the money to finish it..
    and it is 4 doors.. check out the wind wings,,4 of them...

Attached Files:

18. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

Whoa!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Didn't they get rid of wood in '37? Or was that '38? I've got a '38 Chevy and the only wood it has is for the seats..

19. Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  20. 117harv

117harv

What make is that, and did you find any arrowheads or skeletons conceptvehicledesign?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  21. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Is that the one Clark bought at the auction in Indiana?

22. I had a really nice original 38 delivery 10 years ago and it had wood.

23. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

hmm maybe the deliveries were different, my '38 is a 4dr Sedan but I figured they would have carried the steel body framing over to the deliveries...

I'll post some pics of what I'm starting with.. You guys are lucky you actually have bodies....

24. The deliveries probably had the wood becasue they were used for work and throw aways after getting abused.The one I have now is a 37, no wood or metal. Wish it had metal, that would save me time and $.

25. Rolling Thunder

Rolling Thunder

Was parked in that spot in 1971 and thats were it sat. Had to cut a tree out of it that had grown between rear bumper and car. Car had sunk down to the body and cars whole underbody fell apart on car hauler on trip home...k member rotted in half everything. Thats when I knew to get another one. Did salvage one helluva set of parking light bezels off it though:D.

Attached Files:

26. Unless you have time up the ass and are a glutton for punishment...then yes, yes go and get it.
    I wore a superman's costume once and took on something that looked like a salvaged Titanic. Learned alot -> never again.

27. garagerods

garagerods
    from Omaha

Like the Bud sit'n there.....your gunna need more to keep up your motivation!

Good luck!

28. No Clue...

No Clue...
    from Lusk, WY

Wel, here is what I'm contemplating. Awesome set of doors and decklid, really nice passenger side, and it has a chassis. Parts of the floors are gone and it has a BIG dent in the passenger rear.

Thanks to the hambers, I found out its a 38 Chev.

I kind of like it...

....oh, and NO bullet holes !!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Well..........the absence of any sheetmetal presents a 'bad'. I'm optomistic that that will surface one piece at a time..............

Attached Files:

30. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

This has been a fun thread guys. I am sure there are plenty more opinions out there. I can't flip the car based on how I can get my hands on it (I would have to promise to do something with it rather than just part it or flip it...) So that is out.

I KNOW BETTER than to do something with THIS car, yet here it sits and anything is possible right? The car is going no where at this time, so I will ponder it as the steel nags me to do SOMETHING.

I have highly enjoyed seeing the other endeavors posted here in response. Any more gluttons for punishment? Pics?!?!