Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chrome "substitutes"?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rudebaker, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

The grille pieces on my Stude are in really bad shape and being pot metal aren't super straight. Rechroming is beaucoup deniro, almost as much as I paid for the car when I first bought it. I'll pop for chrome on the bumpers because we can make then super straight and I plan to weld in the bolts and smooth the bumpers but the grille surrounds are another story.

I have considered painting them body color. Here's a photoshop of a similar car with chrome and with paint.

THIS IS NOT MY CAR. I repeat, THIS IS NOT MY CAR. Mine may never be this nice. I am planning a similar color scheme but in Seafoam Green.

[​IMG]

Body color or...................?

2. nitrozahn

nitrozahn

Personally I like the body color.

3. loudandfast13

loudandfast13

I dig the body color header panel. You can always change it later when you hit the lotto.
    I've also seen some decent looking powder coating that looks like chrome from a few feet away.

4. i think the average guy would never know , probably only Studebaker restorers would point it out. it looks fine to me painted

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

6. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

Definately body color.

7. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Body color is a nice touch, it cleans up the front.

8. Body color looks cool and the reality of it is that you'll probably never be parked next to another one so who'll know the difference?

9. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Just an FYI, the guy that really designed the '53 Studebakers, Robert Bourke, originally intended the '55 grille to be painted. The Stude execs insisted on chrome.

10. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

As much as I hate to admit it, I have always thought that massive chunk of pot metal should have been painted from the start.

Getting all that square footage of rotten pot metal to not have any blisters would be a feat in itself, let alone getting it straight.

11. BEAR

BEAR

12. daddylama

daddylama

liking the body color better... nosed and painted, really cleans up the lines on the car.

13. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

it really gives it a "European" feel. Like it was built in France or Italy...

In a GOOD way.

dv

14. I had never thought of that on one of those. I can't believe what a difference it makes. Looks good. Go for it.

15. I have a post asking "How do i paint my bumpers" --what have you been told as to how to do it ?

16. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Wow,the body color one looks so kool it actually makes the factory original look wrong :eek: Who'da thunk it ?
    Paul

17. Graystoke

Graystoke

Try This
    http://coatofchrome.com/

My opinion is that cars from the 50s were the kings of chrome and that's what they should have.

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

I like shiney things. I'd chrome everything if as you note, I could afford it.

Since it seems that you can't afford it either, your option to paint at least works in this instance.

19. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

IMO it looks better w/out that chunk of chrome.
    Studes could make nice custom/cruisers, but theyre often overlooked!

Attached Files:

20. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

WAY better painted. Painted trim/bumpbers doesn't offend me on the right car, and your's is the right car.

Brian

21. 73super

73super

Just sand 'em down.. prime and paint. I've never had any issues doing it this way.

22. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Looks better painted. Loose the license plate mount too.

23. Paint it for sure it just looks better IMO

Studes can be made into kool Kustoms fairly easy

Attached Files:

24. The 41Dude

The 41Dude

Paint it..............I too think it looks better than the factory chrome.

25. Rude,

I think your problem is that you want to have it rechromed with De Niro. Chrome plating will probably work a little better than trying to stuff Travis Bickle in the chrome tank. :D

[​IMG]

Oh wait...dinero. I get it...!

Yep- one of THEM days...

26. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

I'd love nothing better but no can do here in Illinois. You can't even have anything hanging from your inside rearview mirror anymore.

Oops, but either way I still couldn't afford it. :D

27. Steve

Steve

I agree with everyone looks better painted

28. I've gotten away with out a front plate for twenty years. Prob'ly just jinxed myself D'oh!

29. Looks great painted. You might think about moving the parking lights down to the bumper. Just an idea.

30. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

No way I'm tempting fate by not running a plate on front. I got nailed by an ISP Stormtrooper a few years back for "improper use of registration" because I was driving my '62 Impala with antique plates but wasn't going to or from a show, parade, having it serviced blah, blah, blah. The way he ripped me you'd have thought I'd run down his Mother.